Transmission Noise? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Transmission Noise?

NEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WDRear Disc Brake Conversion Kit- TJ,YJ,XJSWAG 50 Cal Ammo Can Mount With M2A1 Can

Unread 08-22-2011, 01:46 PM   #1
Gobbles347
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Transmission Noise?

I have a 01 sport so i think that is the NV3550 transmission? Anyway did some offroading over the weekend, and about an hour into the trip home in the highway I noticed a horrible noise, when I would let off the gas pedal it would go away then come back as soon as I pressed the gas again. It doesnt make the sound in reverse but does in 1-5 gears. any ideas?

Thanks in advance

Michigan Jeepers Club #26
Gobbles347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2011, 01:58 PM   #2
JWebber
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Could be pinion bearings, ujoints and or your tranny. You will be surprised when pinion bearings go, how much they transfer sound threw the tranny and t-case. Time to crawl under the jeep and inspect!
JWebber is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2011, 02:09 PM   #3
Gobbles347
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Well the sound is alot faster than if it was a driveshaft/ujoint issue and the fact that it doesnt happen in reverse but in forward gears makes me believe trans?
Unread 08-22-2011, 02:16 PM   #4
JWebber
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Well how many miles on the fluid in there? and whats the level? Start there!
JWebber is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2011, 02:25 PM   #5
Gobbles347
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I had the clutch replaced almost 30,000 miles ago, and ya i should prolly drain the fluid and fill it back up and see if that helps

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.