Transmission Lurch - JeepForum.com
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 40 Old 10-06-2017, 02:11 PM Thread Starter
LabRat55
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Transmission Lurch

OK...I have a 2006 Unlimited with 162,000 miles. I bought it four weeks ago and so far everything has been running pretty well. I just had the fuel pump assembly replaced (fuel gauge was not working correctly) and now whenever I start out cold the tranny "lurches" going into second gear. It only does it once....and never whenever everything is warmed up. So, I replaced the transmission fluid yesterday and it is still doing it.
I am afraid that my transmission is going to slowly fail.
Anyone else experience this?

Be safe!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 Old 10-06-2017, 05:50 PM
Floridaprepper

I know this fix! ALL to well!!!

Try this. I have a auto 06 and trust me I chased this issue for a whole year.
Disconnect the POSITIVE battery terminal. ( BE VERY CAREFUL NOT TO GROUND WHILE YOU LOOSEN THE NUT ON THE TERMINAL)
Hold the positive terminal to the negative for 30 seconds
reconnect the positive terminal
turn jeep key to run position NOT START
turn headlights on
turn headlights off
turn key to off position.

This has reset the adaptive learning module in the PCM.
If this fixes the problem for a short period of time, your pcm is bad.

If this does not fix the problem its a trans issue. My trans guy has replaced over 100 bad pcms in 2006 auto wranglers because of hard 1-2 shifts. Sometimes after the 1-2 shift it will start in second a few times.
Another way to know its the trans is to ask a transmission shop or local mechanic to hook up that super expensive snap on tool and scan the temp on the trans. If it says your trans is running at 1100 degrees, or negative 1 degrees your pcm is bad.

Now if your pcm is bad DO NOT buy one online. 99% of these online pcm rebuilders just hook them up and test them with a machine. The pcm will test good because it has been reset and back to factory defaults. They clean it up and sell it. flagship 1 is a major no no company to buy these from. This is a super complicated PCM that has the TCM built in. They can not diagnose these correctly.

I purchased 4 or 5 online from different companies and they were all BAD. I broke down and spent the 1100$ and had the dealer do it. I have put 6000 miles on the jeep since then with no issues. Only a factory mopar refurb will cure the pcm issue. They also give you a 1 year warranty.

I can say a lot of people talk trash about the 42rle but its a great trans. Its the pcm, and the programming that suck! I have 33s on my 32rle and drove from Florida to Maryland 75 mph at 2600 rpms. never had a single issue with the trans,

My trans was rebuild before we found out it was the computer causing the issue. Dont make the same mistake. I have 4k into solving this issue after buying a few bad pcms, a factory pcm, and a trans rebuild.
aspider likes this.
post #3 of 40 Old 10-07-2017, 05:44 AM Thread Starter
LabRat55
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks Floridaprepper....that's an amazing prescription for this illness. I'm still curious if anyone else has experienced this issue???

Be safe!

post #4 of 40 Old 10-07-2017, 07:40 AM
1longcj
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I've seen it addressed more than a few times. Don't write off you transmission yet. Mine's not a daily driver, so it doesn't bother me too much.
post #5 of 40 Old 10-07-2017, 08:08 AM
JBTJ
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Did you replace the filter? And all of the ATF that's in the system and not just what the pan holds? I believe that transmission hold something like 16 quarts.
post #6 of 40 Old 10-07-2017, 02:10 PM
Floridaprepper

If you do a flush on that trans being that old you would open up a world of new problems. A flush can blow out old seals. The pcm reset is a easy way to know if it is the trans or the pcm.

When the trans has issues, the 42rle usually loses 1st and reverse. You will usually have skipping and not hard shifts.
post #7 of 40 Old 10-07-2017, 02:14 PM
Floridaprepper

If you get on it from the start from 1-2 does it still shift hard? Mine would only have a hard shift from 1-2 when i was driving it easy. If i got on it then it didnt do it. See the pcm thinks the trans is overheating because it is reading the temp sensor wrong. So it does not let the clutches slip trying to reduce heat that is not there. This is what the pcm is designed to so when the trans is starting to overheat. When the pcm is bad it reads the trans temp either extremely high or low so it modifies shift habits.
post #8 of 40 Old 10-07-2017, 04:23 PM
pagrey
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBTJ View Post
Did you replace the filter? And all of the ATF that's in the system and not just what the pan holds? I believe that transmission hold something like 16 quarts.
Bad enough the OP already replaced some or all of the fluid to try and fix a know PCM/TCM problem, are you suggesting that spending more money on ATF4 and a filter is the solution?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LabRat55 View Post
So, I replaced the transmission fluid yesterday and it is still doing it.
I am afraid that my transmission is going to slowly fail.
Anyone else experience this?
This might help:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine_Cat View Post
Requires the dealer software update. IIRC the 2003-2004 model year has a separate TCM, while in the 2005-2006 model year transmission control is integrated into the PCM.

Therefore, for 2005-2006 you ask for the PCM software update or flash update. The dealers will be confused, because the TSB on this subject refers to camshaft position sensor error codes as the only symptom. Nevertheless, the latest version of the software also includes an undocumented fix for the rough shifting, from 1st to 2d, on the first 2 or 3 cycles after you start the engine.

I just got the dealer software update, and now my TJ is shifting as good as new. I'll post up if the problems return, but others have posted that the software update has worked on a long-term basis.

Does not have to be under warranty, but the dealer will charge you anywhere from $85-$115, depending on location, to lay hands on your TJ.

http://answers.edmunds.com/question-...ems-29229.aspx

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/pr...18/index2.html

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/my...98/index3.html
post #9 of 40 Old 10-07-2017, 04:40 PM
jtec

Simple easy things first...
Must use ATF4 and a new filter?
Scan for codes not key trick.
post #10 of 40 Old 10-07-2017, 04:45 PM
Floridaprepper

If he just takes it to a trans shop like aamco they dont charge to hook it up to the computer. Make them show you the codes it pulls up and make them show you what temp the trans is running at. Dont let them tell you its the trans. Make them show you the live data. If the temp is good, try the flash. I had mine reflashed and that didnt fix it, but again mine showed the trans temp at 1000+ degrees even when i first started it lol. Impossible. To make sure it was not the trans temp sensor that was inside the trans, my friend who is a tech ordered a new temp sensor and unplugged the harness from the trans. He plugged the harness into the new temp sensor that was in his hands and it still read 1100 degrees. That ruled out the temp sensor in the trans. That was the point we were 100% sure it was the pcm. We had a pretty good idea thats what it was after the pcm reset fixed the trans issue.
post #11 of 40 Old 10-08-2017, 10:44 AM
JBTJ
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pagrey View Post
Bad enough the OP already replaced some or all of the fluid to try and fix a know PCM/TCM problem, are you suggesting that spending more money on ATF4 and a filter is the solution?

This might help:
Changing the ALL ATF and filter needs to be done regardless. I have seen many transmissions over the years that simply replacing the ATF and filter fixes such problems. I replace mine every 2 years.
post #12 of 40 Old 10-08-2017, 11:16 AM
Digger84

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBTJ View Post
Changing the ALL ATF and filter needs to be done regardless. I have seen many transmissions over the years that simply replacing the ATF and filter fixes such problems. I replace mine every 2 years.
If a pcm reset fixes it short term it is a bad PCM and there are no new PCM so you are screwed as there is no fix anymore for the 06 1-2 hard shift

Put a switch in the power feed to pcm and get used to frequent resets

Sent from my SM-S902L using Tapatalk
post #13 of 40 Old 10-08-2017, 11:23 AM
JBTJ
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger84 View Post
If a pcm reset fixes it short term it is a bad PCM and there are no new PCM so you are screwed as there is no fix anymore for the 06 1-2 hard shift

Put a switch in the power feed to pcm and get used to frequent resets

Sent from my SM-S902L using Tapatalk
But still changing ALL the ATF and filter is a must, period.... Unless of course the transmission in being replaced. In any case, clean cool ATF is the key to long transmission life.
post #14 of 40 Old 10-08-2017, 02:34 PM
Floridaprepper

There are pcms available. Only good ones are through the dealer though. Like I said they charge 1000$ installed but its warrantied. If they have to put 5 in to find a good one then they will. Took 2 dealer pcms to fix this. Your only other safe bet is to install a AX15 5 speed trans. Advanced adapters makes a bell housing kit to adapt the AX15 or NV3550 into a 05-06. You need a 05 or 06 manual PCM, a ax15 trans, the 400$ bell housing that relocates the crank sensor to the correct place, a flywheel from a 05-06 NSG370 6 speed, clutch and break pedal setup, clutch master and slave setup. I priced doing the swap in mine. I can get the adapter new, and the rest of the parts used for a total of 1600$. Then its HOF (hot as f&*k) in florida so Id pay someone to swap it which would be about another 1500$ So the best and easiest solution is to buy a pcm from the dealer and eat the 1k.

I honestly think that guy who sold it to you reset the pcm so it would not hard shift on you when you test drove it. Mine would last about 60-80 miles after a reset before it acted up again. These transmissions are basically a mini van trans, but they are pretty sturdy compared to the manuals. I have had a jeep with pretty much every trans from 89-2006 and like this one the best. Yes I lose the downhill downshifts but I can drop it into 1 and do the same thing with some skilled braking. I would do the new pcm. I am willing to bet someone else has already sunk money into a trans in that jeep, and when the problem came back they gave up.
post #15 of 40 Old 10-08-2017, 02:36 PM
Floridaprepper

56044703AD is the part number you need to ask the dealer for. Here in Florida they run 1000$. I have seen them for less in other states. Do not trust a used one, or a junkyard pull. If someone tells you they have a new one, they are liars.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.