Transmission Flush/ fluid change... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Transmission Flush/ fluid change...

Baseline 4x4 Lifetime Warranty 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft KiClayton Off Road WJ Long Arm Kits!Clayton Off Road - JK Prototype Gas Tank Skid

Unread 07-26-2007, 09:14 AM   #1
EnigmaMan

Transmission Flush/ fluid change...

So I have a 2005 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited w/ the Automatic that I purchased about 3 weeks ago and it has 19,000 miles on it.

Since it was origionally from Texas the guy before me did some wheeling / mudding in it (due to the fact that there was still mud in the engine compartment).

Should I wait until 25,000 miles before I change the fluid to Synthetic? Or Do it now to be safe?

Also, What is the best way to change it?
Drain the fluid and just pour more in and change the internal filter?

Or do it the way I do on my Diesel truck, and disconnect the line-in from the tradiator that goes to ransmission stick that end into the New fluid, and then attach a hose on the radiator side and have that go into an empty bucket, Start up the truck and let it cycle / flush all of the fluid out of the TQ converter?

(Its a poor mans tranny flush and saves $$$)

Also how many Quarts of fluid is in this transmission? Hopefully its not a 18Qt system like my truck!

What kind of Fluid should I use?
Is there a Seperate fluid for the transfer case or is it all the same?
When should I change the Axle Fluids? and what Type should I use?
What type of Oil should I use when I do the Oil change as well?

Last edited by EnigmaMan; 07-26-2007 at 09:25 AM..
EnigmaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2007, 09:32 AM   #2
Combatsylvania

autoamtic: I dont know

transfer case: seperate fluid, use ATF+4 in it
axles: i do mine every 20,000km or if they are conatiminated, i use 75w90
engine oil: 10w30 for your climate.. i use 5w30 up here

[URL="http://www.combatsylvania.com"]http://www.combatsylvania.com[/URL]
Combatsylvania is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2007, 09:57 AM   #3
EnigmaMan

Draining the fluid is there a Plug on the pan? or will I need to drop the pan to change the filter in there?

Also should I use like Dextron 4+? Or is there a specific brand that Jeeps are partial to?

I was thinking of using Shell Rotella T - Full Synthetic (Diesel) motor oil due to the detergents / soot handeling capbilities. Or should I just stick w/ the Valvoline full synthetic?
EnigmaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2007, 11:19 AM   #4
Combatsylvania

i never put that much thought in to it.. i run regular valvoline 5w30 in the engine, and change it every 5000 km's

for the T case, i just use ATF+4.. I think Mr Transmission ATF4

[URL="http://www.combatsylvania.com"]http://www.combatsylvania.com[/URL]
Combatsylvania is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2007, 11:29 AM   #5
fish4life
1997 TJ Wrangler 

i run ATF+4 in the tcase myself, i think it's Valvoline ATF, good stuff, not that expensive

just kind of hard to find ATF+4 here, most are 3 ....
fish4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2007, 11:36 AM   #6
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

for the auto tranny, never do a 'flush', always have somebody pull the pan and look for metal shavings/problems. they should adjust the bands if necessary, change the filter, etc.

the 'flush' where they connect a machine to the radiator pass thru is a bad idea. It will not clean the metal particles (if any) from the filter, nor the bottom of the pan. It will also leave detergents behind that will eventually break down your transmission components and destroy your tranny. - learned this from a friend who works for an auto parts company.

I waited till 30k to change diff fluids and t-case fluids. manual says do the diffs at 30k, but the t-case supposedly isn't due till 60k, but it was dirty (i've been wheeling pretty hard this year), so i went ahead and got it done. the trans is still perfect, although i had an issue at around 20k where they replaced all the fluid.

if you'll be doing a lot of wheeling, you may want to consider some beefy diff covers when you change the diff fluid. a good 4x4 shop won't charge you for the install, since to service the diff's correctly you gotta pull the cover anyway. its actually less work for them, less old gasket to scrap off. don't go to a grease monkey or someplace like that, they only do suck-n-fills.

as for synthetic fluids, i switched to durablend @ 30k, but had only used regular before that, changed every 3k miles. really, you dont need synthetic unless you're driving in hard conditions a lot, and not changing oil every 3k.

Last edited by Unlimited04; 07-26-2007 at 11:51 AM..
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2007, 12:34 PM   #7
MacAttack

Quote:
for the auto tranny, never do a 'flush', always have somebody pull the pan and look for metal shavings/problems. they should adjust the bands if necessary, change the filter, etc.

the 'flush' where they connect a machine to the radiator pass thru is a bad idea. It will not clean the metal particles (if any) from the filter, nor the bottom of the pan. It will also leave detergents behind that will eventually break down your transmission components and destroy your tranny. - learned this from a friend who works for an auto parts company.
I think the type of flush you are talking about is something they would do at Jiffy Lube..........probably a bad idea to do that.

From what I've read the best thing to do is to go to a place that will flush out the transmission with the filters still attached to catch any debris. They will then drop the pan and inspect everything and change the filters, and refill with all brand new fluid. Wouldn't this be the best of both worlds?

The Jeep engineers also recommended a flush in one of the q/a threads.
MacAttack is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.