transmission fluid leak - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > transmission fluid leak

Safety Thimble FairleadsEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippBLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!

Unread 07-10-2008, 02:11 AM   #1
gensysmike
1998 ZJ 

transmission fluid leak

I believed my transmission pan gasket was leaking at the trailing edge of the pan. I purchased a kit and replaced the gasket and filter. The old gasket looked a little worn, but had no obvious defects. I throughly cleaned the pan and mating surfaces per instructions found in this forum. I then carefully replaced the pan and torqued all bolts to 14lbs. I am still getting what appears to be a leak from the trailing edge of the pan. I tightened the 3 rear pan bolts down another 3 lbs and am still getting leakage. I am now thinking that the leak must be coming from above somewhere. It is strictly leaking from the rear of the pan, slightly more on the passenger side half of the pan. I am getting quite a bit of blowback onto the rear differential, muffler and gas tank skid plate. I appreciate this forum, it is a great resource for guys like me who have little idea what they are doing, but can follow directions pretty well.
Thanks.

gensysmike is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-10-2008, 06:38 AM   #2
jeepwrnglr92
2015 JK Wrangler 

I had the same thing but changed my pan gasket/filter last weekend and all is fine. I have a little dripping but thats from the residue on the skid plate, I have to wash that off now.

Hate to say it pull it down again and make sure there is no dents in the pan or the trans.

I also used a THIN coat of gasket seal in a spray can. Works great.

check the back side where it mates to the TC.
Unread 07-10-2008, 08:01 AM   #3
gensysmike
1998 ZJ 

so you had to do it twice?
Unread 07-10-2008, 10:04 AM   #4
jeepwrnglr92
2015 JK Wrangler 

No i only did it once. My did not leak after I changed the gasket etc.
Unread 07-11-2008, 12:37 AM   #5
gensysmike
1998 ZJ 

any other ideas....could it be leaking from somewhere top?
Unread 07-11-2008, 12:42 AM   #6
Nonya
Web Wheeler
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Its most likely the back up light switch leaking,very common.
Nonya is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-11-2008, 12:47 AM   #7
gensysmike
1998 ZJ 

really? i have to admit, that is a new one to me. how do i get to that bad boy?
Unread 07-11-2008, 01:15 AM   #8
Nonya
Web Wheeler
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gensysmike View Post
really? i have to admit, that is a new one to me. how do i get to that bad boy?
lol i have to think you didn't do any kind of inspection before changing the gasket?Before you run out and buy a back up light switch do a careful inspection.I'll bet the leak is very obvious.Just follow the oil trail forward.I'll bet if you pull the electrical plug off the back up light switch its soaked with oil.But do some close looking and find the leak this time before changing anything.

To replace it simply remove the frt drive shay from the frt yoke.Move it to the side and you will have easy access to tye bkup light switch.I believe its a special oil sender socket 1 1/16 if my memory is correct.
Unread 07-11-2008, 01:27 AM   #9
gensysmike
1998 ZJ 

You may be right in laughing at me. i inspected it as best i could and the back of the oil pan seemed to be leaking, but you really can only get kind of an angled look at it from underneath with the skid plate in the way. Since i had no idea how long it had been since the previous owner had changed the filter, i figured the best course of action was to go ahead and pull the pan and replace the filter and gasket. As mentioned above, the old gasket had no obvious defects and as far as I could tell I had no bends in the pan. So I cleaned it up and put it back together, but still have the leak, with the evidence in the same spot. Rear of the pan. So obviously i am beginning to wonder if it was something else. That is why I was asking for other ideas. Yours certainly sounds possible.
Unread 07-11-2008, 01:29 AM   #10
Nonya
Web Wheeler
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I gotta tell you a story that will make you laugh.I went to look at a 98 tj that the guy just spent 1000 dollars to have the transfer case leak fixed....guess what.........yep you guessed it.The only thing wrong with it was the back up light switch was leaking.He was pissed.

If you just remove the frt of the drive shaft from the frt yoke its much easier to inspect.
Unread 07-11-2008, 01:31 AM   #11
gensysmike
1998 ZJ 

I am sure he was. But trust me, I won't be that guy. One way or the other I will get it figured out. Ok, will get the DS out of the way and get a good look.

Last edited by gensysmike; 07-11-2008 at 01:36 AM.. Reason: added
Unread 07-11-2008, 01:36 AM   #12
Nonya
Web Wheeler
1998 TJ Wrangler 

The shop replaced his pan gasket 1st...then it still leaked and they completely rebuilt the transfer case.....then they basicly told him that all jeeps leak.I found it in about 30 seconds
Unread 07-11-2008, 01:38 AM   #13
gensysmike
1998 ZJ 

Fair enough, will give you a report after I do the inspection. Thanks for the input.
Unread 11-22-2008, 05:43 PM   #14
SoonerE39
2000 TJ Wrangler 

yep, I have this same leak. Although the parts department sent me home with the wrong switch. It will fit in the hole but the plug won't fir it. And my plug is bashed up so I don't care if i have to splice on a new one to make it fit. Amazing so much can leak from one little spot even when the switch seems to be in there pretty snug
4.0L Auto. D30/D35 3.07 gears, 1.25" Spidertracks spacers, RC 2.5" lift, 1.25" BL, 32 x 11.5 x 15 BFG MT tires, Brown Dog 1" MML, M.O.R.E Bombproof MM Brackets, Big Daddy Tie Rod, JKS Adjustable Track Bar, JKS Quicker Disconnects, KC Daylighters, Smittybuilt swing away spare tire- bumper, XRC8 Winch
Red Jeep Club #493
36,602 posts behind Jerry Bransford and getting further behind each day!
SoonerE39 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-22-2008, 05:53 PM   #15
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

A frequent hard-to-find ATF leak is from the speedometer gear housing where it bolts to the transfer case, especially if someone has replaced the speedometer gear. The big o-ring gets nicked and then it starts leaking ATF and it looks like it's coming from everywhere but there.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.
Jerry Bransford is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.