Transmission Fluid Change - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Transmission Fluid Change

Introducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe Solution to Radius Arm Bind - Meet Lock-N-LoadFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 11-28-2006, 04:30 PM   #1
Skeezer
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Transmission Fluid Change

I need to change the transmission fluid in my 06 TJ 4.0L, auto. Is there an easier way than dropping the pan ? Any suggestions would be appreciated, Thanks.

Unread 11-28-2006, 04:32 PM   #2
SecondTJ
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Not really. Some people tap the pan and put in a drain plug for it.

Even so, your not going to get all the fluid out. The best thing to do is a complete trans flush, thats the only way to get all the fluid out of the lines, torque converter, etc.

How many miles are on your 06 that you're looking at changing the trans fluid already? Its service interval is every 30k

'99 Z28 M6, some goodies
'94 'Vette, A4 all stock
SecondTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-28-2006, 04:33 PM   #3
SpaceWrangler
Gnarly Adventurer

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Location: Where the Girls Dance Different With Familiar Grace
Not really. If there's a drain plug on the bottom of the pan (not terribly likely), it might save some of the mess.

But the pan should come off anyhow so you can change the filter.
Unread 11-28-2006, 05:04 PM   #4
Skeezer
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I have 18,000 miles on it, but I think I have some water in it. Would water show up on the dipstick ? I was buried in about 4' of water Saturday for a few minutes before I got pulled out. While on my way home I noticed a noise comming from the tranny, sounds like a vacuum running.

But no water shows up on the dipstick
Unread 11-28-2006, 05:15 PM   #5
SpaceWrangler
Gnarly Adventurer

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Is the fluid still red and clear? Or is it milky now? If it's milky, there's water in it.

Even if the fluid still looks okay, a fluid / filter change is cheap insurance, compared to an auto trans rebuild.

Be sure to flush the old fluid out of the converter also.
Unread 11-28-2006, 05:18 PM   #6
Skeezer
2005 TJ Wrangler 

No, it's not milky. It looks normal to me, but i'm just worried about the strange noise. I changed my differential fluid this weekend and they had alot of water.
Unread 11-28-2006, 05:23 PM   #7
SpaceWrangler
Gnarly Adventurer

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Here's a link to a How-To for flushing your converter...

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/trans-slipping-343345/

Scroll down to the second-to-the-last post.
Unread 11-28-2006, 05:25 PM   #8
Skeezer
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Great, thank you.
Unread 11-28-2006, 05:30 PM   #9
JBTJ
JEEPer For Life

2001 TJ Wrangler 

You can disconnect the supply line that runs from the tranny to the radiator. Add another piece of rubber line at that point and insert it into a milk jug that you mark off in a three quart line. Have a friend start the jeep and keep a foot on the brake and place into netural. THe tranny pump will begin to pump fluid out of the torque converter. When the milk jug fills up to the 3 quart line turn off the motor. Pour the old fluid into a proper container for disposal and refill your tranny thru the dipstick tube the 3 quarts you pumped out. Repete this process untill fresh clean ATF fluid comes out. Should take about 12 to 15 quarts. But, be sure to change the trans filter and top off with fluid BEFORE you do this process.
JBTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-28-2006, 05:44 PM   #10
SpaceWrangler
Gnarly Adventurer

2001 TJ Wrangler 

LOL!

JBTJ, it's your own write-up that I linked to!

Reruns, anyone?
Unread 11-28-2006, 05:47 PM   #11
Skeezer
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Does anyone know roughly what a dealer charges for a tranny fluid change ?
Unread 11-28-2006, 05:57 PM   #12
James04TJ

IIRC, most dealers charge around $150-200. Most quick lubes charge around $100. Either way, you will want to use a shop that has a T-Tech as it offers the best change.

As for fluids, if you do it yourself (or have anyone else do it), make sure that you use a fluid meeting Chrysler's ATF+4 spec. Amsoil, Redline, and IIRC Valvoline all make fluids meeting the ATF+4 spec. I have seen MOPAR fluid run around $15/qt.
James04TJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-28-2006, 05:59 PM   #13
JBTJ
JEEPer For Life

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stretch67
LOL!

JBTJ, it's your own write-up that I linked to!

Reruns, anyone?
Yeah, that is pretty funny isnít it
Unread 11-28-2006, 06:04 PM   #14
JBTJ
JEEPer For Life

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by James04TJ
IIRC, most dealers charge around $150-200. Most quick lubes charge around $100. Either way, you will want to use a shop that has a T-Tech as it offers the best change.

As for fluids, if you do it yourself (or have anyone else do it), make sure that you use a fluid meeting Chrysler's ATF+4 spec. Amsoil, Redline, and IIRC Valvoline all make fluids meeting the ATF+4 spec. I have seen MOPAR fluid run around $15/qt.
To add to this. A flush is okay to do if the fluid has been changed frequently in the transmission. If not, then flushing will move some of the build up crud to all the wrong places. Thus resulting in poor transmission performance. Since your Jeep has very low mileage you wonít have to worry about that problem. Though you can buy the Valvoline ATF+4 for just under 5 bucks a quart. Still much cheaper to do your self.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.