Transmission does it need to be rebuilt? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Transmission does it need to be rebuilt?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineAttention to the TJ owners 1996-2006 NEW LED LIGHT OPTIONSBds fox ipf 2.0 racing series shocks now available at rock

Unread 06-23-2009, 09:13 PM   #1
melcrim
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Transmission does it need to be rebuilt?

I have a 99 TJ with AX-5 transmission with 163,000 miles. I'm in the process of dropping the transmission to replace the clutch. The throwout bearing was shrieking. Prior to this it has been getting harder to shift into 1st & reverse. I need to push down really hard on the shifter & sometimes to get into reverse I have to shift into 1st then quickly into reverse.

My friend says that while I have the tranny out I might as well get a rebuild kit and rebuild the transmission. UGH!! What do you guys think? I really don't want to attempt that at this point. I don't want to spend the $$$ plus I know it will take me 5x longer to rebuild the transmission then it should. My friend is a mechanic so he knows what he's doing. I'm learning each step of the way. I manage to get the work done but it's a struggle. If this doesn't need to be done I'd rather leave it alone. I'm concerned it could be a big can of worms. There are no leaks and I don't hear any grinding.

On the other hand if it has to be done then it has to be done. I don't know if my hard shifting issues are because the parts in the trans are wearing out or because of the bad throwout bearing.

What are your thoughts?

melcrim is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.