Which transmission cooler? - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Which transmission cooler?

Bead Lock Wheels! Raceline, Trail Ready, & Trail-GearXHD Heavy-Duty Hood Latches for JK and TJ available at OcoSYE Kits from CCOR! 706-207-4140

Unread 05-30-2014, 10:11 AM   #61
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbender View Post
While we are talking about transmission temps. Where is the best place to place the sensor for a trans temp gauge?
THX
Dave
The pretty basic. If you want to know the temp of the fluid in the return line, put it there.

If you want to know the temperature of the fluid going to the cooler, put it there.

If you want to know the temperature of the transmission, put it there.

I want to know how hot the transmission is.

Unread 05-30-2014, 10:34 AM   #62
dbender
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Roger That,,, the pan is the most logical i guess
THX
Dave
dbender is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-30-2014, 06:18 PM   #63
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Was just talking about this in PMs with somebody and thought I'd ask the question here since this has been a good discussion. What "problem" are we solving with supplemental cooler? Is it as simple as cooler is better (the corollary of bigger is better that you see in other parts of builds)? Or is it that fluid can get too hot such that it is not at the "right" temperature when it exits the stock cooler in the radiator? I think the answer to that is important to how a cooler should be installed.
Unread 05-30-2014, 07:00 PM   #64
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by biffgnar View Post
Was just talking about this in PMs with somebody and thought I'd ask the question here since this has been a good discussion. What "problem" are we solving with supplemental cooler? Is it as simple as cooler is better (the corollary of bigger is better that you see in other parts of builds)? Or is it that fluid can get too hot such that it is not at the "right" temperature when it exits the stock cooler in the radiator? I think the answer to that is important to how a cooler should be installed.
personally, I found my Jeep didn't come with a stock transmission "cooler". I installed an auxiliary cooler because the stock "pass-thru" wasn't doing jack squat to "cool" the fluid to a reasonable operating temperature.
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-30-2014, 07:02 PM   #65
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlimited04 View Post
personally, I found my Jeep didn't come with a stock transmission "cooler". I installed an auxiliary cooler because the stock "pass-thru" wasn't doing jack squat to "cool" the fluid to a reasonable operating temperature.
You'll have to define reasonable. My trans guy whom I trust more than should be legal tells me that unless it's seeing 250F sustained, quit worrying about it.
Unread 05-30-2014, 07:06 PM   #66
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Lol. Still sounds like both of you guys agree with my thoughts (and what that means for cooler install).
Unread 05-30-2014, 07:15 PM   #67
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
You'll have to define reasonable. My trans guy whom I trust more than should be legal tells me that unless it's seeing 250F sustained, quit worrying about it.
After having the 42RLE rebuilt under warranty at 52k miles, I started wondering. Installed a temp gauge and saw 250F sustained just driving around town on hot days. Hence, I was worried and installed an actual cooler.

Reasonable to me is 120-180, depending on ambient temps and load, I can stay within that range the majority of the time now. I'll see ~200 when towing, and I'm ok with that.
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-30-2014, 07:17 PM   #68
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Since blowing my new tranny replacement pan up while welding the temperature bung into it last year, I still don't have a temp sender so I only know when my transmission is getting warm by the cooler fan kicking on via its 165 degree thermostat. Though I welded my first bung into the 32RH pan without issue in my previous TJ, this last horrendously failed attempt spooked me so bad I'm going to pay Blaine to weld it into the new pan for me this time.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.
Jerry Bransford is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-30-2014, 07:45 PM   #69
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
Since blowing my new tranny replacement pan up while welding the temperature bung into it last year, I still don't have a temp sender so I only know when my transmission is getting warm by the cooler fan kicking on via its 165 degree thermostat. Though I welded my first bung into the 32RH pan without issue in my previous TJ, this last horrendously failed attempt spooked me so bad I'm going to pay Blaine to weld it into the new pan for me this time.
If it's a 42, just buy the bung and I'll get it handled. I like handling bungs.
Unread 05-30-2014, 07:48 PM   #70
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I like handling bungs.
Lol. That's the best one I've heard since Thanksgiving when Dave C. was giving Wayne a hard time about liking to smoke meat.
Unread 05-30-2014, 07:51 PM   #71
geiman
Web Wheeler
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Blaine handled my bung quite well and in a very timely matter.
geiman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-30-2014, 08:51 PM   #72
05LJTampa
2005 LJ Wrangler 

So you're saying I can have Blaine pick up a new pan and weld a bung in it for me then ship it to FL? Lol
05LJTampa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-30-2014, 10:06 PM   #73
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05LJTampa View Post
So you're saying I can have Blaine pick up a new pan and weld a bung in it for me then ship it to FL? Lol
Close. I silver braze these in all the time. I've done about 20 of them for folks. If I acquire and ship you a pan, it's 200 bucks. If you ship me a pan and I modify it and ship it back, it's about 35 or so. If you have prepaid shipping, send the bung, and the pan, I'll do it for 10 bucks.

Don't ask me to repeat or remember those prices, I may be grumpy tomorrow and either double them or quit altogether.
Unread 05-31-2014, 03:37 AM   #74
ravenworks
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:

Close. I silver braze these in all the time. I've done about 20 of them for folks. If I acquire and ship you a pan, it's 200 bucks. If you ship me a pan and I modify it and ship it back, it's about 35 or so. If you have prepaid shipping, send the bung, and the pan, I'll do it for 10 bucks.

Don't ask me to repeat or remember those prices, I may be grumpy tomorrow and either double them or quit altogether.
That would be quicker than me doing it myself, I still have parts sitting in the garage from winter.
Unread 05-31-2014, 09:57 AM   #75
Robert J. yates
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlimited04 View Post
I was worried and installed an actual cooler.
Right.... The radiator pass through is more of a fluid warmer than a fluid cooler IMO. You folks in cold climates need that for winter driving.... I didn't even bother with using it here in Cali.
Robert J. yates is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.