Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Which transmission cooler?

8K views 90 replies 23 participants last post by  05LJTampa 
#1 ·
Searched but most were older threads. What transmission cooler should I buy got my LJ auto? Would like to mount it in front of radiator. Below the jeep wont work bc of rocks & constant mud around here. Had 2 friends this weekend with the same 4speed 42lre overheat their tranny this weekend.

#4 ·
#7 ·
biffgnar said:
The derale is nice but if the real estate in front of your radiator is free a B&M passive cooler is a lot cheaper and also works well.
Like this one? Theres a few different models:

B&M 70268
-Rigid stacked-plate design is resistant to damage, and much better at cooling than ordinary 'fin and tube' coolers
-Constructed from black finished lightweight aluminum alloy for maximum corrosion resistance
-11" x 7-1/4" x 3/4" model is rated at 13.000 BTU, and pressure tested to 200 PSI
-Includes installation kit

$56

#14 ·
My Derale works great, and has survived mud, snow, rocks and driving through the Rocky Mountains.

#17 ·
I got a trans cooler of a mid 90's Ford Explorer because it had the 3/8 hose barbs and 3 tabs for eazy mounting. Welded three tabs on the "V" shaped support in front of the a/c condenser. Dropped temps from 225 on freeway to 175. It also barely fit through the headlight assembly but I still had to tilt the radiator back to get the "V" support out. We'll see if it hold up well creeping in 100* heat this summer. It cost $12.

Attachments

#18 ·
What about this one? My buddy just sent me the info. http://www.quadratec.com/products/56112_3101_07.htm

New from PSC Motorsports is this easy to install power steering cooler and transmission cooler kit that mounts in front of the radiator behind the grill. It is simple to install and is an easy solution for getting a cooler in your steering system. This mount bracket system has the optional cooler to aid in transmission cooling. Kit fits all Jeep TJ models.

#28 ·
I think this is the one I put on mine because I thought I had to go through the headlight. I was able to put it in from underneath so if I did it again I would go with the bigger one. I think it was the 70268. I havent had any issues with trans temps so I havent bothered to switch it. I used the supplied metal straps to mount mine

#23 ·
get whatever fits and is easy for you to install... if you don't have fab cabilities or limited tools.. get something that is a drop in style kit. even a simple 2 pass cooler mounted behind the grille will assist in reducing trans fluid temps. just remember to install the cooler after the radiator on the return line to the transmission.

this is what I put in on my auto conversions. derale mounted to an in-house designed bracket, then 4 self-tap screws to the V brace and hook it up. done.

this is on a hemi jeep.
mounted to bracket ready to install...

flipped it over and getting ready to bolt the V brace back in place...

I was playing with bracket designs... anyways. there are many solutions out there. find the one that works best for you.

good luck.

#24 ·
In front of the rad is not easy. The 04TJay link above has been used by many guys. Go look at his link. Real world experience shows it works great as long as the Jeep is moving forward or the engine revs are above idle. In Baja my buddy had that setup and in the sand wash his temps hit 180-190F where before he was hitting 250. That would be in a condition of low/low and high throttle setting.

The real problem is if one wants a blower cooler for use when crawling at very low speeds, then one finds the Vee bars are troublesome. Several of us have a B&M blower unit crammed in there and kept the Vee bars.

I noticed another install kit.
http://www.flex-a-lite.com/oil-fuel...ission-cooler-for-07-13-jeep-wrangler-jk.html
The Vee bars were replaced with a steel surround support. The result is lots of clearance for a predicted easy blower cooler install.
The flex-a-lite setup looks good to me and I probably will re-do what I have and delete the Vee bars.
One of you guys should give it a try and post the build thread.
BTW, normally we use flat plate for trannys & engine and tube fin for power steering.

PaulW

#25 ·
#27 ·
July and August in Indiana brings a heat indexes around 100° on a regular basis, probably similar to Tampa weather. After two summers, I do not recall my pan temp getting to 190° in city traffic. It cools off very quick once I get some steady air movement.

I use a vacuum pump to suck out the fluid in the pan every 18 months (9000 miles), and drop the pan every 30k miles to replace the filter.

#29 ·
That PSC kit i found with clean bracket has this derale cooler.

http://derale.com/products/coolers/...ine-spin-on-adapter-with-1-2-npt-ports-detail

Is that a decent stacked plate cooler? You have the option of not running the ps cooler.

Description
With our top of the line 19 Row Stack Plate cooler, -6AN aluminum fittings and hose barb adapters, this highly efficient kit extends transmission life by preventing heat-related transmission failures while also improving shifting performance. This kit comes with a complete transmission cooler hardware kit to easily install onto vehicles with 5/16" transmission cooler lines.
Specifications
Cooler style: Stacked Plate
Construction: Aluminum
Inlet size: -10AN o-ring female x -6AN male
Fitting size: 3/8" barb
Width: 13"
Height: 7-5/16"
Depth: 2"
Inlet dim: 10"
Mounting: 12-1/4" x 5-3/4"
Hose size: 3/8"
Hose length: 4'
Features
Built in turbulators agitate fluid for maximum heat transfer
Sturdy furnace brazed all aluminum construction tested to 250 p.s.i.
19 row cooler design
Male -6AN aluminum O-ring inlet fittings & 3/8" hose barb adapters included

#43 ·
biffgnar said:
There is something else wrong with someone's cooling or AC if that is enough to cause problems.
Not true at all. The condenser relies on a certain amount of airflow to cool the refrigerant back down. You put a large enough trans cooler in front of it (or intercooler for that matter) and the air is not only partially blocked by the cooler but what does go through it is already preheated by the trans fluid.

I had to add a large pusher fan to compensate to get the same performance from my a/c. So yes, it does negatively impact a/c performance.

#45 ·
Not true at all. The condenser relies on a certain amount of airflow to cool the refrigerant back down. You put a large enough trans cooler in front of it (or intercooler for that matter) and the air is not only partially blocked by the cooler but what does go through it is already preheated by the trans fluid.
I understand completely how it works, but the size of a cooler that fits there is not that big and doesn't obstruct air fliw that much. Also, the heat from the transmission fluid is not going to be that great. Most people plumb the transmission cooler after the radiator so as Unlimilted04 said heat from the radiator is much bigger issue (and that is true with or without a supplemental transmission cooler). Given number of people who run this setup there would be reports of problems if there were any. There aren't. Is there a difference? Yes, but a difference that doesn't make a difference doesn't matter.

#44 ·
Unlimited04 said:
Didn't you know, it's better to stick the cooler under the tub where it can get heat soaked from the cats/engine/trans/t-case, and where it can get caked with crud flung off the tires! :rofl:
The Derale cooler, which is the only one anyone is talking about mounting under the jeep, mounts on the inside of the drivers side frame rail. Totally clear of any mufflers, cats, and any other heat source. I will give you the mud thing to a degree. But since it is mounted on the inside of the frame rail and doesn't hang below it shields the cooler from most if not all of the mud. Unless you sink your jeep in mud and then nothing is safe underneath.

#48 ·
you forget that when you're going down the road, the hot air from the engine compartment is exiting out the bottom: under the floor and through the tunnel.

I actually stuck a temp sensor in the tunnel and saw temps in 150-160° range on long highway drives. If you pull the carpet out, you'll notice the floor gets so hot that its very uncomfortable to touch.

If you drive in snow/mud/rain on roads, you will quickly learn that it packs all around inside t-case skid...flung up from the tires and/or packed in via plowing snow with the low hanging skid. You also quickly find that it gets hot enough under there to totally melt snow, ice, etc very quickly, and you get the dirt/mud that comes with the snow accumulated all around.

Here's a straight mud example:

That's in the middle of the frame, supposedly out of the way by your account.

IMHO, I'll keep my transmission cooler in front of the radiator where it belongs.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.