Transmission is completely frozen - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Transmission is completely frozen

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Truc-Lite LED Headlights! OCONEE OFF-ROAD 706-534-9955Jeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at Baselin

Unread 12-12-2013, 02:09 AM   #1
NakedSavage
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Transmission is completely frozen

Here's a good for you guys. I started my tj (2000, 4.0, 5spd) recently when it was about 10f out. I did my normal thing with a manual: put xfer case in neutral, transmission in 3rd, and wanted to let it idle for 10-20 minutes. But, when i let the clutch out it died. So i tried again with the transmission in neutral, and it died again.

I'm thinking it's frozen. After holding the clutch and letting it idle for around 10 minutes, it freed up. BTW, I'm in oklahoma, and it just finally dropped way below freezing. Since I got my jeep (has about 65000 miles on it now, I've put 5k ish on it) Ive easily driven 400-600 miles up and down the South Canadian and Cimarron rivers. Is it possible to actually freeze up a transmission this bad? After it freed up I could drive it like normal, with no issues to speak of. Also, after letting it sit a while, I pulled the drain plug and saw no water.

It's just baffling me since the shaft that spins in neutral is quite a ways above where the water line could possibly be.

Thanks guys

NakedSavage is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-12-2013, 04:22 AM   #2
jay-h
1989 YJ Wrangler 

That's an odd one. Maybe it has wrong lubricant. Do a change, preferrably synthetic if available for that trans.

wife's toys
97 Grand Cherokee (ZJ)
87 MB 560SL roadster
jay-h is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-12-2013, 05:08 AM   #3
festerw
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Unless you have water in the transmission, no it's not possible at 10 degrees.
Unread 12-12-2013, 05:57 AM   #4
marka2k

2006 WK 

My 04 has not had any issues with the cold and it has been way below freezing where I am (in Oklahoma) for several days. I have Royal Purple in my tranny maybe it's time for a drain and fill?

Silver WK Club #46
06 WK Overland
MyGiG RER
OEM Parkview Rear Camera
4xGuard Matrix
4XGuard Front Skid
4XGuard Rock Rails
HID Projector
2" Lift

04 TJ Rubicon Silver
Rokmen Fuel Tank Skid
Rokmen Front Skid
Rokmen Tummy Tuck
Novak Shifter
Ground Pounder Fab Front Bumper
Warn M8000 Winch
marka2k is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-12-2013, 06:22 AM   #5
Zombi
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Hasn't happened to me and I'm regularly in single digit weather for weeks straight.
One time I had really thick gear lube in there and you could feel the increased viscosity in the form of drag but it never stalled out because of it.
Zombi's are in fact very unpleasant to be around, they smell, and bite--also, they eat babies.
Zombi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-12-2013, 12:30 PM   #6
NakedSavage
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I'll change the oil. It's unreal that it could freeze that solid without cracking the case.

That said, anybody have opinions on the best way to change out the jiggle cap breather for a real breather.
NakedSavage is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-12-2013, 06:44 PM   #7
Maverickxeo
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Id look into the clutch first.... check the fluid in it. To me it sounds like a clutch issue over tranny.
Maverickxeo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.