Transforming my Soccer-Mom-TJ: lift kit, tires & wheel spacers - Page 7 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Transforming my Soccer-Mom-TJ: lift kit, tires & wheel spacers

Disc Brake Kits from ECGSECGS JK Dana 60 Bolt In Rear DiffGEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE

Unread 12-02-2012, 02:34 PM   #91
Peyts
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HanksRide View Post
That is the bolt I was telling you about in the PM's that I had to get also when I did my daughters. I found a guy on here that needed the bolts I had and I needed his so swapped through the mail.

How is it driving now, any issues since all was done?
Yeah, there seemed to be some vibrations... but I'm gonna write a post now that may explain... would like your and others' input.

Peyts is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2012, 02:54 PM   #92
Peyts
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Here's an update on the Jeep handling, etc... and will actually be a bit of a tanget from the lift, as I believe there is a separate issue... interested in getting all available input/advice.

To start, when I bought the Jeep in August 2012, I had it safty-certified at Canadian Tire in Mississauga, Ontario. When driving back to Ottawa (a 5 hour drive), we noticed something wrong... we slowed down on the highway & all of a sudden the Jeep started bucking. Once we got out and checked the vehicle, we realized that Canadian Tire failed to tighten the lugs on the rear driver's side wheel. Two studs were sheered-off completely. We brought the Jeep to nearest Canadian Tire, where they got a set of studs install enough to get us home and have it properly repaired. A few days later, the Jeep was brought in to the local Canadian Tire here in Rockland, Ontario, where they repaired the wheel by replacing the two sheered studs and the rim.

Fast forward to lift day. When we installed the lift, we also put on Spidertrax 1.25" wheel spacers... followed specs for torque, etc. When I drove home, I felt a bit of vibration in my seat. Checked torque on spacers... the spacer on the rear driver's side had managed to come a little loose. So retorqued them all.

Been driving again... noticed that after a little while, the back end felt off... was feeling some vibration and a bit of tail wag. So today I pulled the rear driver's side tire and checked the wheel spacers again... when I checked torque, it was apparent that some lugs on the wheel spacer had somehow once again managed to come loose. So I put on loctite and retorqued again.

HOWEVER, when I went to put the wheel back on, I saw that a couple of the rim lug circles were now oval (see pictures below). So I pulled off the lugs and wheel spacers and figured the spacers would have to go.

That's when I noticed one of the studs were not sitting flush to the drum/axle... you can see from the pictures below that one is sticking out further than the others, to the point that the head is out... hence no wheel or spacer would have ever sat flush when put on.

Here is where I need help... WTF?! Is this a Canadian Tire problem? Is there something else wrong that is causing this? What is the fix? I reckon that the whole axle end needs to be replaced, right? What kinda coin am I looking at to get this fixed PROPERLY this time? Bloody well concerns me BIG TIME as a wheel falling off at 110 kms/hr has got to be just a tad undesirable.

---

Photos as follows:

#1: Front facing view... the problem lug is at the top.
#2: View from back end of Jeep... problem lug is at the top.
#3: View from top looking down... problem lug is at the centre.
#4: View from front end of Jeep... problem lug is at the top, the one I'm pointing at. If you look closely, you can see that the lug end is out away from the wheel end.
#5: Front facing of the rim.
#6: As you can see, its now warped. Is this rim eff'ed now?
#7: And another warped spot. Is this rim done now?
lugs-1.jpg   lugs-2.jpg   lugs-3.jpg   lugs-4.jpg   rims-1.jpg  

rims-2.jpg   rims-3.jpg  
Unread 12-02-2012, 06:59 PM   #93
HanksRide
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

I hate to hear all of that... Real Bummer, ... I personally have never run spacers and have heard a few horror stories about them similar to your own story.

I think the first thing I would ask myself is why am I running the spacers?? Are they really necessary?? If you have a clearance issue maybe there is another approach to correct that issue. If it is for stability I really don't think with your size lift that they would be required. I am running a lot more lift on my YJ than you are and it feels very stable. If you have them for looks (wider stance appearance) then well not sure, that would just be more of a personal preference of what you want your jeep to look like. I too like the wider stance look, but from all my reading I don't think I would ever put spacers on.

If you have to have them on there, and if it were me I would torque each bolt to spec myself and use locktite on every one of them. I would ensure that all my studs were installed correctly and seated and my wheels were in good shape. My opinion, you are going to be out atleast one wheel on that deal especially if you stick with the spacers.

Next thing, I would take the Canadian Tire shops off my list of places to frequent. I think they may have cost you some jack!!
3500 Mile Road Trip With Daughter
Daughters 04 TJ Build Thread
My-95-YJ Build Thread
HanksRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2012, 07:29 PM   #94
Peyts
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HanksRide View Post
I hate to hear all of that... Real Bummer, ... I personally have never run spacers and have heard a few horror stories about them similar to your own story.

I think the first thing I would ask myself is why am I running the spacers?? Are they really necessary?? If you have a clearance issue maybe there is another approach to correct that issue. If it is for stability I really don't think with your size lift that they would be required. I am running a lot more lift on my YJ than you are and it feels very stable. If you have them for looks (wider stance appearance) then well not sure, that would just be more of a personal preference of what you want your jeep to look like. I too like the wider stance look, but from all my reading I don't think I would ever put spacers on.

If you have to have them on there, and if it were me I would torque each bolt to spec myself and use locktite on every one of them. I would ensure that all my studs were installed correctly and seated and my wheels were in good shape. My opinion, you are going to be out atleast one wheel on that deal especially if you stick with the spacers.

Next thing, I would take the Canadian Tire shops off my list of places to frequent. I think they may have cost you some jack!!
Trust me, this was NOT a spacer issue at all. I have heard some horror stories as well. This has everything to do with crap work, TWICE on the same wheel, by Canadian Tire mechanics.

Will update with next post...
Unread 12-02-2012, 07:39 PM   #95
Peyts
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Here are some new pics that I just snapped. I took drum off the hub/axle. Had a mechanic friend come over and take a look... he immediately said, "Well there's you're problem... those two studs are original and don't even fit properly. The other studs are all original."

So now I'm 100% sure that the problem stemmed from the two studs installed by Canadian Tire... they are the only two non-original ones on there. Also, my spacer may be shot now too, as the stud head that was sticking out has chewed away the back end of the thred on one of the spacer holes. ARGHHHHHHHHH!

Photo #1: Here it is with the drum off... you can see that two lugs are not original... not even right size installed by Cdn Tire. Two crap studs are on top and far left. This is looking from front to back.

Photo #2: Again, with drum off... looking back to front..

Photo #3: With drum off... looking straight down.

Photo #4: The back of my Spidertrax wheel spacer which has been chewed up.
drum-off-1.jpg   drum-off-2.jpg   drum-off-3.jpg   spacer-shot.jpg  
Unread 12-02-2012, 08:21 PM   #96
Peyts
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Better photos of damage to spacer... looking at back end of spacer, which is end that hugs the hub/axle.
spacer-shot-1.jpg   spacer-shot-2.jpg   spacer-shot-3.jpg   spacer-shot-4.jpg  

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.