Transforming my Soccer-Mom-TJ: lift kit, tires & wheel spacers - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Transforming my Soccer-Mom-TJ: lift kit, tires & wheel spacers

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all USA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4Stainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 11-18-2012, 06:16 AM   #31
rrent
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the info - I've been contemplating / researching a 2" lift. I'd prefer new coils too.

Unread 11-18-2012, 09:09 AM   #32
Renegade9040

Yeah that's my new upgrade. Take care of passenger side sag with a set off stiffer coils. Debating on if I want to save the money to do a OME 2" suspension upgrade. Not looking to out up, just looking to maximize travel while staying LCOG.
Renegade9040 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-18-2012, 10:38 AM   #33
Peyts
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean7276 View Post
If you don't like the bumpers pushing into the tire you can cut them down. Or take them off.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peyts View Post
I dunno... with the rubber stops, it looks tight. Thoughts?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheelin98TJ View Post
Do not remove the bumpers. They provide support.

The tight fit is a good thing. You do not want that tire shaking around.

Sorry, guys... I should have mentioned that the photo is of my STOCK spare tire, which is a 225/75. I'm thinking that I would definately need a spacer for a 31x10.50 spare tire, wouldn't I? Thoughts?
Peyts is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-18-2012, 10:40 AM   #34
Peyts
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rda616 View Post
I hope you didn't forget to buy bump stop extensions!
I didn't get bump stop extensions... dunno if actually need them. Once I'm finished with the install, I'll take it out and flex it a bit, see how it sits. If I need em, will definately get them put on.

Jury seems to really be out on these things... I've been told my retailers to not buy them at all... reading the forums, some say they are not needed, others say they are a necessity.
Unread 11-18-2012, 10:42 AM   #35
Peyts
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodiak17 View Post
Looking good. I'm happy with my BDS lift. Just something to point out, I recieved more than 2" of lift and can clear 33's pretty well, although I need bumpstops. If you're looking for a wider stance, I would look into a set of 32x11.50x15 tires. I ran them with this lift. Every Jeep is different. Just a heads up!
Great looking ride you got there! Gotta say that I'm loving the BDS kit as well!
Unread 11-18-2012, 10:45 AM   #36
rda616
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peyts

I didn't get bump stop extensions... dunno if actually need them. Once I'm finished with the install, I'll take it out and flex it a bit, see how it sits. If I need em, will definately get them put on.

Jury seems to really be out on these things... I've been told my retailers to not buy them at all... reading the forums, some say they are not needed, others say they are a necessity.
They are absolutely a necessity! Your shocks become the bump stop extension if you don't add them. This will kill your new longer shocks quickly when offroading them.
rda616 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-18-2012, 10:47 AM   #37
Peyts
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrent View Post
Thanks for the info - I've been contemplating / researching a 2" lift. I'd prefer new coils too.
I'm gonna tell ya, I honestly don't believe you can go wrong with the BDS Suspension... you can see all my reasons for choosing it in the first post on this tread.

Last night, after the lift kit install, one of the Ottawa Jeep Club guys took it for a spin. This guy also drives a 2005 TJ with a 2" BB, except he has coil spacers and Rubicon Express shocks. After driving it for a bit, he returned in a foul mood... said that he was now no longer happy with his lift kit... he LOVED the height, feel and ride of my suspension. Says before the summer, he wants to replace his with new coils now too. :-)
Unread 11-18-2012, 10:50 AM   #38
Peyts
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade9040 View Post
Yeah that's my new upgrade. Take care of passenger side sag with a set off stiffer coils. Debating on if I want to save the money to do a OME 2" suspension upgrade. Not looking to out up, just looking to maximize travel while staying LCOG.
I'm loving the ride the new coils are giving me... better than stock, in my opinion. I've heard lots of a great things about OME... no doubt they make a fantastic product. That being said, for me anyway, a tight, fool-proof warranty on an excellent product at a great price was the way to go.
Unread 11-18-2012, 10:53 AM   #39
Peyts
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rda616 View Post
They are absolutely a necessity! Your shocks become the bump stop extension if you don't add them. This will kill your new longer shocks quickly when offroading them.

Well, damn... I don't wanna kill my shocks. Why in the heck are people so back and forth on them, though? Don't get me wrong, I'm 100% getting why you say I need them... just don't understand why retailers (and they'd serve to make a buck off me) are telling me I don't need them at all.
Unread 11-18-2012, 10:56 AM   #40
Peyts
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Buddy of mine installing the Spidertrax wheel spacer on the front passenger side...
lift-2.jpg  
Unread 11-18-2012, 10:59 AM   #41
Peyts
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Before & after measurements of front end... note that both photos were taken with the stock 225/75 tires on, so height obtained doesn't include any height from new rubber.
image-4229624611.jpg   image-2216933530.jpg  
Unread 11-18-2012, 11:00 AM   #42
Peyts
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Before & after measurements of back end...
image-1349201197.jpg   image-1618922717.jpg  
Unread 11-18-2012, 11:05 AM   #43
Peyts
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Here's a great photo showing the difference the lift kit has made...

Driver's side = BDS kit
Passenger's side = stock suspension
lift-1-adjusted.jpg  
Unread 11-18-2012, 11:07 AM   #44
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peyts View Post
Well, damn... I don't wanna kill my shocks. Why in the heck are people so back and forth on them, though? Don't get me wrong, I'm 100% getting why you say I need them... just don't understand why retailers (and they'd serve to make a buck off me) are telling me I don't need them at all.
Some people think bumpstops cripple the suspension because they limit travel.

Some people are more used to stiff leaf springs that do not allow the tire to stuff all the way so the bumpstops never come in to play.

Those same people will usually tell you that sway bars are useless too.
Wheelin98TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-19-2012, 12:56 PM   #45
evi1genius
2011 JK Wrangler 

What, no pictures of the fire?
evi1genius is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.