Transfer Case Weld Nuts - Write Up - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Transfer Case Weld Nuts - Write Up

Huge Soft top SaleSYE Kits from CCOR! 706-207-4140SALE PRICING, Specials, Huge Savings Alloy USA and Posi-Lo

Unread 08-20-2010, 11:39 AM   #1
bairy
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Transfer Case Weld Nuts - Write Up

So there has been many threads and pages of banter on Nutserts, quality, install tools, price, availability, tack weld etc...

I did not have much issue with spinning nutserts but the threads in mine were toasted. Take a look at the factory bolts and you can see what was left of the thread.

Of course before you remove those bolts, you remove the 4 transmission mounting nuts(13mm/ 1/2" I forget) then you must support the transmission and transfercase:

This is how bad the frame looked You need to clean between the skidplate and frame after wheeling and winter driving as all that shmutz is collecting between there and rotting away!

Might as well attack some of this too..

Time to get rid of those nutserts. I used an air chisel to knock off the bottom flange. Mine had some tack welds, but that just added 3 more seconds to rip them off. I also used the air chisel to knock off some of the rust scale on the frame and check the integrity.

Here is the hole left in the frame. I used a vacuum and tried to collect as much debris in the frame. Using the air chisel loosens up the scale on the inside too. Back part of the nutsert is still in the frame. With all the other scale up there, it is not going to bother anything.

Next I used a flap wheel to start cleaning up the area.

Switched up to a course wire wheel. BTW, I hate changing out attachments so I just buy more harbor freight grinders when they are on sale for 7.99

Here is my cheap solution. McMaster Carr 90596A033 1/2" Weld Nut. $4.70 for a bag of 10.

Fits perfectly in the opening in the frame

Then of course... WELD! I know my welds are not the greatest, but I know they won't fail before rust eats the rest of the frame. Welding upside down under a jeep is definitely more challenging. If you have a lift on the jeep or a lift in your garage it will be much easier.

After welding all of them in, I cleaned it up a little more, wiped it down with the lacquer thinner and threw a few coats of XO satin black rust paint from True Value ($3.69)

Knocking off all the rust scale and sealing it good will slow the process.

At first I did not like that the weld nuts were not flush with the frame, but I am glad they are not. I want air to get between the skid and frame just a little so the moisture can dry up and I can wash it out easily in the winter time.

I plan on pouring some paint/rust preventing solution down into the frame to help slow the cancer.

Finishing it off, I picked up some Macmasters 91253A718 flat head socket cap screws to replace the factory bolts. They have a matching taper to help locate the center skidplate.

oh yea.. Put the skid plate back on, use new bolts, lower the transmission support and replace the 4 nuts for the transmission and torque to spec.

bairy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-20-2010, 11:56 AM   #2
tangotag
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Nice write-up.
Any concerns with having to use a 5/16 allen wrench to remove rusted in place socket screws in the future?
tangotag is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-20-2010, 11:59 AM   #3
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

VERY nice writeup, I think we ought to add that to our FAQ! Well done.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-20-2010, 12:19 PM   #4
bairy
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tangotag View Post
Nice write-up.
Any concerns with having to use a 5/16 allen wrench to remove rusted in place socket screws in the future?
Yep, Anti-sieze. A crap load of it. I come from Upstate NY...We even use it for buttering our toast. What helps is filling in the allenhead with grease or rtv. A fully seated allen bit and an impact tool is very strong. Been doing that with my Clayton skid which is help on by ten thousand of those little flat head allen screws. Besides, they will not live a long life on there. As soon as I hit the lotto I will belly-up.

Thanks Jerry!
Unread 08-20-2010, 12:30 PM   #5
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

This has been added to our FAQ.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-20-2010, 01:07 PM   #6
roundlitefan
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Jesus, all that cancer on an '06? Remind me to not even drive my Jeep through Ohio! Nice write up btw.
roundlitefan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-20-2010, 01:34 PM   #7
timmytimm3
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I did something very similar but I took regular nuts, ground them round to fit in the holes and welded them in.

Nice job
timmytimm3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-20-2010, 04:17 PM   #8
bairy
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by roundlitefan View Post
Jesus, all that cancer on an '06? Remind me to not even drive my Jeep through Ohio! Nice write up btw.
Nope. I just picked up a 99 with a blown 2.5 for 1K and swapped in a 4.0.
Unread 08-20-2010, 07:09 PM   #9
Knuckelhead
AFSOC Retired

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bairy View Post
Yep, Anti-sieze. A crap load of it. I come from Upstate NY...We even use it for buttering our toast. What helps is filling in the allenhead with grease or rtv. A fully seated allen bit and an impact tool is very strong. Been doing that with my Clayton skid which is help on by ten thousand of those little flat head allen screws. Besides, they will not live a long life on there. As soon as I hit the lotto I will belly-up.

Thanks Jerry!
I've been using that type of fastener on my BU for years with anti seize. Works for me...IMO

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.