Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Transfer case trouble

887 views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  otisdog 
#1 ·
Just picked up a 97 Wrangler SE on Sunday, well I didn't try the 4 wheel drive until today, I put it in 4H and let the clutch out, and it moved a little then made like a wierd grind noise and didn't seem to move (but I did push the clutch in right away). put it in 4L and it seemed to move under power fine (wasn't really gettin on it though)
Is there some sort of adjustment I can make somewhere to make the problem go away, or is the transfer case shot? I haven't looked under there yet, but I'm hoping maybe just a linkage adjustment?

#2 ·
Welcome to the forum. :cheers2: Fill out your profile so we know more about your Jeep and are better able to help you.

Does it have a body lift, does it have a Tcase drop?

Sounds like it just wasnt fully engaged in 4 high? Did you try it more than once?

#3 ·
Thank you for the welcome :thumbsup:

I have nothing to put in the profile, the Jeep is all stock, except it has 31's on it, and a beat up old cd player :laugh:. I would like to lift it eventually, but it's just to beat around in, gotta fix the little things first.

#4 ·
Thank you for the welcome :thumbsup:

I have nothing to put in the profile, the Jeep is all stock, except it has 31's on it,
Even with it all stock, put that in there. There are still various engines, transmissions, axles available from the factory, and the Jeep vary by year.

#6 ·
Yes - if you look under there on the driver side you will see the linkage. You might try loosening the nut on the linkage and checking to see that the lever into the t-case is in the right place in relation to the shift lever. In other words the shifter might be in 4-hi but the lever into the t-case is not quite there.
Jim

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.