transfer case skid plate - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > transfer case skid plate

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO December Specials at Jeephut.com

Unread 04-12-2005, 06:47 AM   #1
86comanche
1989 YJ Wrangler 

transfer case skid plate

I would like to upgrade my transfer case skid plate. I have a 04 TJ SE with the RE BB 2" lift. I would like to get a little more clearance under the jeep. Which skid plate works the best and has the least amount of problems. I dont want to have to get the sye and new drive shaft just because i got a better skid plate. I am looking for one that is a little higher off the ground and has a nice flat surface. Any help would be great!

Unread 04-12-2005, 08:02 AM   #2
Jeepin' Rock Cl
2002 TJ Wrangler 

You're probably going to need SYE with just about any flat skid as it raises your transfer case so much.
Jeepin' Rock Cl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-12-2005, 08:43 AM   #3
igofshn
Locked @ both ends

That is correct. A flat skid will require a sye/cv drive shaft.

[Jeep Pics
igofshn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-12-2005, 08:58 AM   #4
86comanche
1989 YJ Wrangler 

skid plate

Im not trying to go completly flat, id like soomething better than stock...is there a mod to the stock plate to make things better...i keep getting cught on all the ridges on the stock plate
Unread 04-12-2005, 09:30 AM   #5
2KJ33PTJ
1981 CJ7 

SYE is required for any/all skids I've ever seen (but, do post up if you find one that does not require an SYE).

You'll also have to do a BL and MML (body and motormount lifts) since you'll be raising the t-case.

As for which one...I'm looking at one by http://www.goferitoffroad.com/products.htm. Very simple design (K.I.S.S.) and reasonably priced.
2KJ33PTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-12-2005, 10:02 AM   #6
86comanche
1989 YJ Wrangler 

skid

What if i were to get a 3/16" thick plat and weld it to the stock plat to "smooth" it out
Unread 04-12-2005, 10:29 AM   #7
BNovak

Get one of the engine / oil pan skids. They bolt to the lower front part of the tranny pan to help keep it from "Shoveling" when you go over stuff. This way you won't need an SYE.

If you do go this route, weld some strip steel onto it before you install it to make the plate a little beefier. I've ben the heck out of my warn skid.
Unread 04-12-2005, 10:31 AM   #8
diveguy
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86comanche
What if i were to get a 3/16" thick plat and weld it to the stock plat to "smooth" it out
Jeep Medic Fabrication makes one that covers your oil pan and tranny, and bolts onto your existing stock plate for your transfer case. This way it is like you have one continuous skid plate going from your oil pan to your t-case. He makes it from 1/4" steel and if you have a lift, he modifies it for you.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.