Transfer case shifter linkage, loose at the 'pivot point' - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Transfer case shifter linkage, loose at the 'pivot point'

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 12-05-2013, 08:27 AM   #1
lolitsdaelan
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Transfer case shifter linkage, loose at the 'pivot point'

I really should of snapped a picture, apologies in advance if I don't explain this quite right...

So the transfer case shifter connects to the linkage on the right side of the transmission, and there's a point between the shifter side linkage and the transfer case linkage where it pivots. On the trans side it's simply an 'A' shaped mount with a hole in it, on the frame side it looks like a tab.

(Hoping that paints a decent picture)

After a nasty DW, I noticed my shifter was basically limp, and I couldn't engage 4W at all. I got underneath and noticed that the linkage had come out of the trans side mount at this pivot point. I was able to wrestle it back in place, but now I have a good half inch of side to side play, and if I get a little aggressive on the shifter, it will pop out, locking me into whatever drive I was currently in. I don't really see how this thing can be tightened, unless I'm missing something painfully obvious. Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Unread 12-05-2013, 08:30 AM   #2
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Once that stock linkage gets FUBARed its almost impossible to get it working right again. There is a rebuild kit that you can get from the dealer that basically replaces all of the bushings to try to tighten things up again. You're going to get a lot of people telling you now is an opportunity to upgrade to one of the better aftermarket options. Best option is Novak cable shifter, although there are a few lower cost bracket options that are still better than stock.
Unread 12-05-2013, 08:38 AM   #3
lolitsdaelan
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I had a bad feeling that there wouldn't be a quick and easy fix. I like the idea of the Novak cable shifter, but not the price :/. Damn holidays! I'll take a look around for some of the bracket options.

Thanks!
Unread 12-05-2013, 08:55 AM   #4
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolitsdaelan View Post
I had a bad feeling that there wouldn't be a quick and easy fix. I like the idea of the Novak cable shifter, but not the price :/. Damn holidays! I'll take a look around for some of the bracket options.

Thanks!
Since it has failed, if you'd like to remove it and take some decent pics and post them up, I can try to match them up to good used parts to get you going again.

I have many sets from replacing all the parts with Novak Cable shifters. Cost you the price of shipping.
Unread 12-05-2013, 09:14 AM   #5
HydraulicKnight
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I have the same issue with my shifter linkage, no bushings on either end. The dealer in my area would only sell me the assembly and could not get the rebuild kit. My plans are to get the Novak kit when I get the money. I can still shift into all ranges so it is ok for now.
HydraulicKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2013, 10:15 AM   #6
lolitsdaelan
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
Since it has failed, if you'd like to remove it and take some decent pics and post them up, I can try to match them up to good used parts to get you going again.

I have many sets from replacing all the parts with Novak Cable shifters. Cost you the price of shipping.
Thanks for the offer! I'll see what I can get done tonight, we're supposed to start getting hit with sleet and rain in the mid/late evening.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.