Transfer case shifter linkage adjustment? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Transfer case shifter linkage adjustment?

Dual Color LED Light Bars White/AmberFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitTHE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15”/16″ Big Brake Kit w/Bla

Unread 10-11-2005, 02:58 PM   #1
k8ysv
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Transfer case shifter linkage adjustment?

Is there any adjustment on the stock TJ transfer case linkage? I noticed that with my transfer case drop kit (a small 1-inch Skyjacker) installed, you really have to put some effort into getting the T-case shifter into 4L. 4H is okay, but 4L is a bit tougher than it once was. It's not like it wants to pop out, but I'm just a little concerned about the amount of force it takes to engage.

The t-case kit came with a relocation bracket, but it was kinda cheesey and I didn't install it right away. The evil monster that lives in my garage must have ate it because it's now gone, in any event.

Anyone have any idea if I can give it a small adjustment without the bracket kit?

2004 Patriot Blue Wrangler X, 33"x10.5" BFG Mud Terrains, 4WDH 2" lift with 3/4 inch spacers, 1" BL, 1" Brown Dog MML, Yukon 4.56 gears, Yukon Super 35, ARBs front and rear, Warn 9.5ti winch, GPS, MP3, Some hooks and lotsa skids.
k8ysv is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-11-2005, 03:07 PM   #2
03jeeper78

There is some adjustability in the linkage. There's a bolt which clamps a slide to a rod. If you loosen that bolt, you can adjust the position of the slide on the rod. That will alter the handle position at the point of engagement.
BSMCCEP Club Member #45
Stock: 4.0L I6:5-speed:3.07 gears:D35 with Trac-Loc:15x7 Ecco wheels:Dual Top Group
Mods: 30x9.5 BFG A-T T/A KO's:JKS Quicker disconnects:Rock-It Man rocker guards:Jeep Medic oil pan/tranny skid:Kilby steering skid:Warn D30 diff guard:C4x4 D35 diff guard:Rusty's radiator guard:Skid Row LCA skids:SilverStar headlights and fogs:Hidden Hitch class III receiver:Old Realistic 40ch CB:2' Firestik II:Arizona Rocky Road tailgate antenna mount
Next : Jeeperman rear bumper

'06 Candy Orange Honda Shadow Spirit 750
03jeeper78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-11-2005, 03:56 PM   #3
coorsmgood
2010 JK Wrangler 

http://www.roughcountry.com/668S.pdf

here its on page 5ish

give it time to download the instructions
Unread 10-11-2005, 07:56 PM   #4
jrtdogbone
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Maybe?

http://users.adelphia.net/~jrtdogbone/bl-mml.htm

The Dog

2004 Jeep Willys
http://jeep-willys.com/
jrtdogbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-11-2005, 08:28 PM   #5
k8ysv
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks guys, that's just what I was looking for. Dog, you da man!

On a side note, here's a little quirk that jumped off the page at me... From the above linked Rough Country lift installation instructions:

"Check the transfer case shifter to see if it will move to 4L. If not, the linkage will need to be adjusted as follows....

...1. Place the shifter in 4L."

Umm, maybe I missed something here, but if the shifter won't go into 4L, how are you supposed to perform step 1?
2004 Patriot Blue Wrangler X, 33"x10.5" BFG Mud Terrains, 4WDH 2" lift with 3/4 inch spacers, 1" BL, 1" Brown Dog MML, Yukon 4.56 gears, Yukon Super 35, ARBs front and rear, Warn 9.5ti winch, GPS, MP3, Some hooks and lotsa skids.
Unread 10-12-2005, 07:45 AM   #6
patriot2005

I had the same problem when I installed my Skyjacker TC drop kit (to rid the evil vibes). IMO you really need the brass/copper colored lowering bracket to get the angle of that shift rod back to a good working angle.

The adjustments help with the fine tuning (again, just my opinion), but I really don't think they can make up for a sizable drop in the linkage angle. My friend and I just took our skid plates off to install those brackets and made sure the setup was adjusted/fine tuned - we found it much easier to reach up into that area with the skid plate out of the way.

I know it's common sense, but the best thing to do is crawl under (taking necessary safety precautions of course) and watch what the linkage is doing as someone else trys to shift into 4Lo. That's how I noticed that a bolt on the rod and new bracket were making contact intitially during the shift to 4Lo so the rod had to be adjusted so it could fully pivot and engage 4Lo.

Last edited by patriot2005; 10-12-2005 at 09:32 AM..
patriot2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-12-2005, 10:21 AM   #7
k8ysv
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Well, I found out something interesting when I went out to work on this problem today. I put the Tcase into 4L and the light came on etc... I was able to move the vehicle and all that, but then I decided to gently nudge the shifter (I have no idea why). It popped out of 4L into neutral. I then pulled the lever back up and re-engaged 4L and shut off the engine. I got down underneath and shot the linkage with PB Blaster (a must here in NE Ohio!) and loosened the lock bolt. The linkage slid forward a good half-inch before positively stopping, at which point I re-tightened the bolt.

Now, when I engage 4L, there's a positive "clunk" from the T-case that I never had in this Jeep before. It goes into 4L and stays there until I purposely shift out. Apparently, the linkage had never been adjusted right from the factory but was close enough that it wouldn't pop out of 4L by itself and I've just been lucky enough never to have nudged the shifter while driving. It's only since the T-case drop made it a little harder to move that I noticed it at all.

Patriot, I did manage to dig up the relocation bracket from the evil garage-demons, but Since the linkage is working smoothly without it now, I don't think I'll be installing it. The angle is not too severe and I think It'll be fine. Once I get my SYE installed, it's all going right back up, so it wouldn't be permanent anyway. Thanks for the advice though.

Thanks to all who answered!
Unread 10-12-2005, 04:37 PM   #8
jrtdogbone
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by k8ysv

but Since the linkage is working smoothly without it now, I don't think I'll be installing it. The angle is not too severe and I think It'll be fine. Once I get my SYE installed, it's all going right back up, so it wouldn't be permanent anyway. Thanks for the advice though.

Thanks to all who answered!
k8

The first time you get on an angle or go up an incline it's going to pop out again. If the shaft coming out of the transfercase is not level all the way over to the body mount, it will prematurely wear out the rubber boot assembly and swivel. Take it off and shoot some grease into the boot, install the bracket too avoid more trouble down the road. The small 13 mm screw on the back shaft needs loosed and the shaft needs push forward about 3/8" and retightened. If you go to far it won't go into 4wd Hi. Look at this picture. It's the rusting looking screw.

It will keep causing you grief till you deal with the real issue. The shaft coming out of the transfercase needs to be level to work properly.

Good Luck

The Dog

2004 Jeep Willys
Unread 10-12-2005, 04:51 PM   #9
k8ysv
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Yep, that's the linkage I adjusted and that's how I adjusted it. It locks into 4H, 4L and 2H positively and stays there. I looked into installing the bracket but the angle of that shaft is so shallow that there's not enough offset to get it to fit into the new bracket. If I did manage somehow to install that bracket, the shaft would then be angled in the other direction, possibly even more than it is now.

There's only about 1/8" to 1/4" of difference in the two mounts right now. Don;t forget, I don't have a BL on mine.

Goin' to Wellsville for Halloweenie next week... We'll see if she holds up!
Unread 10-12-2005, 06:39 PM   #10
jrtdogbone
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by k8ysv

There's only about 1/8" to 1/4" of difference in the two mounts right now. Don;t forget, I don't have a BL on mine.

Goin' to Wellsville for Halloweenie next week... We'll see if she holds up!
K8

I wouldn't bother for that little bit, but after Wellsville you'll probably want the body lift. I'll see ya down there. I'm guiding the stock group.

The Dog

2004 Jeep Willys

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.