transfer case shifter linkage - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > transfer case shifter linkage

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 09-25-2013, 11:29 AM   #1
Ljcrawler05
2005 LJ Wrangler 

transfer case shifter linkage

So last night I went wheeling since my bl and mml install and about halfway through the evening while in 4wd hi my lj rubi just kicked itself out of 4wd. I had a difficult time just getting it back in 2wd because my front tires were stuck in a rut crossways. I eventually got it in 2wd so that I could park it and ride with another guy in the group. So my problem is.. now that ive looked at it and tried to figure out what the issue is im stuck with this... I can use 2 hi and pulling the shifter all the way I can get into 4lo like normal.. but in the middle where the 4hi should engage it doesn't. About 3/4 to the locked position is where it is engaged and the light is on. I just cant figure out why the middle point would be off so much if it was working previously and then the two options on either side function properly. I have a novak cable sitting around as well and was wondering if it could be adjusted to make this shift smoothly? Idk what do you guys thing because I can dd it now dince 2hi is ok but im kinda screwed with my trail riding til I get it fixed?

Ljcrawler05 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-25-2013, 11:52 AM   #2
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Middle position isn't just going to disappear. Sounds to me like your linkage is messed up and when you say you are think you are getting to 4L you are really just in 4H. Have you gotten underneath and tried adjusting it with the lever on the side of the TC rather than the in cab handle? I bet if you do that you'll find all the settings are there.
Unread 09-25-2013, 12:38 PM   #3
Ljcrawler05
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by biffgnar View Post
Middle position isn't just going to disappear. Sounds to me like your linkage is messed up and when you say you are think you are getting to 4L you are really just in 4H. Have you gotten underneath and tried adjusting it with the lever on the side of the TC rather than the in cab handle? I bet if you do that you'll find all the settings are there.
Spent about 20 mins getting under it and having my buddy shift it for me to check for the settings and drive forward /reverse when he shifted them in the cab.. I was able to assist underneath shifting by hand only a little bit and when it felt that it should be locked in 4hi it wasn't. The reason I know it was in 4lo is because there is an obvious change in rpm and driving when in 4 lo.. so I have no doubt that when the lever was shifted all the way up that I was in fact in 4 lo. My issue is when shifting the handle to the 4 hi position... the point at which it is engaged is not where it should be... as it sits now the 4hi actually engages and is functional midway between neutral and where 4 hi should be engaged. This would not allow it to stay in 4hi when testing in forward and reverse... so just to clarify I know all of the settings are there but I just cant understand why the linkage would allow for both 2 hi and 4 lo to function normally in their stock locations yet the 4hi does not engage in the proper location.
Unread 09-25-2013, 12:42 PM   #4
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ljcrawler05 View Post
Spent about 20 mins getting under it and having my buddy shift it for me to check for the settings and drive forward /reverse when he shifted them in the cab.. I was able to assist underneath shifting by hand only a little bit and when it felt that it should be locked in 4hi it wasn't. The reason I know it was in 4lo is because there is an obvious change in rpm and driving when in 4 lo.. so I have no doubt that when the lever was shifted all the way up that I was in fact in 4 lo. My issue is when shifting the handle to the 4 hi position... the point at which it is engaged is not where it should be... as it sits now the 4hi actually engages and is functional midway between neutral and where 4 hi should be engaged. This would not allow it to stay in 4hi when testing in forward and reverse... so just to clarify I know all of the settings are there but I just cant understand why the linkage would allow for both 2 hi and 4 lo to function normally in their stock locations yet the 4hi does not engage in the proper location.
Don't get overly hung up on the position of the handle in the cab. That can really be all over the place depending on linkage adjustment. If it locks in to all the necessary positions then nothing is wrong and you just adjust the linkage.
Unread 09-25-2013, 12:52 PM   #5
Ljcrawler05
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:

Don't get overly hung up on the position of the handle in the cab. That can really be all over the place depending on linkage adjustment. If it locks in to all the necessary positions then nothing is wrong and you just adjust the linkage.
Alright sounds good I guess I was just used to pulling the shifter up and when it got to the turn in the shuft mechanism that was locked into 4hi... im probably going to install the novak cable to see if I can get it adjusted so all the positions are easy as what people say they are to shift into. Maybe this is what I need to get me to install my under armor.. idk guess I just need to get under it and do some adjusting til it works correctly
Unread 09-25-2013, 12:55 PM   #6
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ljcrawler05 View Post
Alright sounds good I guess I was just used to pulling the shifter up and when it got to the turn in the shuft mechanism that was locked into 4hi... im probably going to install the novak cable to see if I can get it adjusted so all the positions are easy as what people say they are to shift into. Maybe this is what I need to get me to install my under armor.. idk guess I just need to get under it and do some adjusting til it works correctly
The Z gate is just a mechanical thing in the floor that affects the handle. It has pretty much nothing to do with the actual linkage or the shifting. When you play with the linkage you'll see it is very easy to move the locked in points around so they are in different places than the Z gate would suggest.
Unread 09-25-2013, 12:58 PM   #7
Ljcrawler05
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:

The Z gate is just a mechanical thing in the floor that affects the handle. It has pretty much nothing to do with the actual linkage or the shifting. When you play with the linkage you'll see it is very easy to move the locked in points around so they are in different places than the Z gate would suggest.
Ok I may take the weekend to get under it and play with it until it works... thanks biffgnar ill see what I can do with it this weekend and post back up here with more questions as I have them
Unread 09-25-2013, 01:29 PM   #8
my996duc1
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Does the Novak kit do away with the Z-gate ?

_
2005 LJ Rubicon Sahara #0090 / MetalCloak'd / Currie 4" Lift with AntiRock / 35x12.50 GoodYear Kevlars / UCF skids

My build : http://www.wranglerforum.com/f5/rubicon-sahara-build-chronicles-328649.html
my996duc1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-25-2013, 01:32 PM   #9
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by my996duc1 View Post
Does the Novak kit do away with the Z-gate ?

_
Novak's cable kit does not. It connects underneath the tub to where the handle comes through and does not require doing anything to the tub, handle, console, etc. There is an older Novak kit that was not cable based, was a lot more work to install and that did do away with the Z gate (and may have reversed the shift pattern also). I doubt they are selling any more of those given how good the cable kit is.
Unread 09-25-2013, 01:51 PM   #10
The_Dealer
2003 KJ Liberty 

Did your bl come with the linkage drop bracket? Did you use it? Do you have a t-case drop as well?
Unread 09-25-2013, 01:58 PM   #11
Ljcrawler05
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Dealer View Post
Did your bl come with the linkage drop bracket? Did you use it? Do you have a t-case drop as well?
Yeah it came with one but didnt use it since I installed a mml at the same time. And no on the transfer case drop im only running a 2" lift on an lj.
Unread 09-25-2013, 02:15 PM   #12
drandersoninc

2003 TJ Wrangler 

I'll say this with the caveat that YMMV, but I've got 1"BL / MML, extreme tummy tuck, no TC drop or lever drop kit. I was able to get the OEM mechanics to work with that, but it took adjusting / testing.
drandersoninc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-25-2013, 02:19 PM   #13
jaspepp
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I had a very similar issue in my tj. Threw the Novak cable shifter in and it let everything settle in nice as well smoothing the shift out a little bit. You'll be much happier with the cable shifter in.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.