Transfer Case Shifter Linkage - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Transfer Case Shifter Linkage

Advance Adapters SYE KitsRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Rubicon express discounts from oconee off-road

Unread 04-14-2010, 11:34 AM   #1
vindicated
Did you miss me?

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Transfer Case Shifter Linkage

Ok, so I was milling about the forum today and I came across a write-up that says a knocking noise (similar to mine) was cause by the t-case shifter linkage. I want to try this to see if it solves my problem but I believe this write-up is for an 01? Does anyone know if the part numbers supplied will fit my 06? Thanks! PS I tried to call the stealership and those nutballs hung up on me. Can I get these parts somewhere else?

the following below was taken from:

Jeep TJ Transfer Case Shifter Knocking TSB

What I found Out
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I don't know who or why anyone would design a T-case shifter linkage as complicated as this or why it is mounted to the tub but this is where the knocking is coming from. What happens is that the bronze bushing/retainer holding the torque shaft wears out and/or the rubber gasket tears on the end. This allows the torque shaft to travel back and forth too much causing one of the links to tap on the bracket on the tub. This problem can also occur if you install a 1" body lift without installing the T-case shifter drop bracket supplied with many kits.

How to Fix It
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you are still under warranty, take the TSB (Technical Service Bulletin) number below to your dealer and have them deal with it. If you are over warranty, you can by the TSB kit from your dealer for about $19.

TSB 21-09-98 JUL 98
Transfer Case Shifter - Creaking/Thumping Noise

Part Numbers
05014148-AA Torque SH 21-105-001

Although the kit comes with new bushing for every link end, the only ones I needed was the bronze bushing/retainer and gasket. To install it, you will need to remove the body bracket from the tub. In order to do this, you will find the 4-bolts holding it in place underneath your driver side carpeting. The rest can be accessed from under your Jeep and you do not need to jack anything up or remove your T-case skid.

vindicated is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2010, 11:38 AM   #2
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Look at some of the aftermarket replacements that get the bracket off the tub and, in some cases, replace the linkage. Check out AA or Teraflex or if your bank account is feeling good Novak.
Unread 04-14-2010, 03:21 PM   #3
vindicated
Did you miss me?

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by biffgnar View Post
Look at some of the aftermarket replacements that get the bracket off the tub and, in some cases, replace the linkage. Check out AA or Teraflex or if your bank account is feeling good Novak.
What do I look for? Cause this Mopar kit is supposedly just bushing and whatnot. Do I search for like, "t-case shifter linkage assembly" or something like that?
Unread 04-14-2010, 03:32 PM   #4
coreystj
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Hello, im new to the forum, but have read for a while.

I opened a can of worms with my linkage, when i did a T-case drop. First i could not shift into 4low, then i did a drop bracket, and it would not shift past 4 hi, the linkage was hanging up on the bracket. I removed the drop bracket, put it back to stock, had full range of my shifter, but now the front axle wont engage. Installed the skyjacker linkage replacement bracket and have yet to be able to get the front axle to engage. I know my axle works, when i get under the jeep, i can have the case in low, and twist the front driveshaft and move the vehicle.

Sorry to distract your post, but i hope you do not have the same problems as I.
coreystj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2010, 03:42 PM   #5
vindicated
Did you miss me?

2006 TJ Wrangler 

^^ Thank you, but this is because of a clank clank clank noise I get when I push the clutch in. I heard it's because of these bad bushings and worn out brackets, so replacing them might fix this mystery noise. That's why I want to use facotry parts.
Unread 04-14-2010, 03:49 PM   #6
greenmachine99
1999 TJ Wrangler 

You dont need to do anything fancy here. You need $20 worth of bushings to fix your problem. I just did this myself this weekend. All the brackets are the same and will work for your 06. I got mine at the dealer. I'm not sure where else to get them. It will come with 3 small bushings that you dont really need. All you need is the brass "bearing" type thing and the black boot that goes over the torque shaft.
greenmachine99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2010, 03:50 PM   #7
vindicated
Did you miss me?

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenmachine99 View Post
You dont need to do anything fancy here. You need $20 worth of bushings to fix your problem. I just did this myself this weekend. All the brackets are the same and will work for your 06. I got mine at the dealer. I'm not sure where else to get them. It will come with 3 small bushings that you dont really need. All you need is the brass "bearing" type thing and the black boot that goes over the torque shaft.
cool, so is that part number I have on post 1 the correct info I need to give to the idiot dealer?
Unread 04-14-2010, 03:56 PM   #8
greenmachine99
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by vindicated View Post
cool, so is that part number I have on post 1 the correct info I need to give to the idiot dealer?
Sure is. Its probably easier to tell them to look up TSB's and get it that way. Either way thats what you need.
greenmachine99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2010, 04:16 PM   #9
vindicated
Did you miss me?

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenmachine99 View Post
Sure is. Its probably easier to tell them to look up TSB's and get it that way. Either way thats what you need.
Thanks Green.
Unread 04-14-2010, 06:04 PM   #10
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
What do I look for? Cause this Mopar kit is supposedly just bushing and whatnot. Do I search for like, "t-case shifter linkage assembly" or something like that?
Teraflex 4947100 - TeraFlex Transfer Case Shifter Linkage Adapter for 97-06 Jeep® Wrangler TJ & Unlimited - Quadratec

Advance Adapters 715542 - Advance Adapters Transfercase Shifter Bracket for 97-06 Jeep® Wrangler TJ - Quadratec

Novak's NP / NVG Shifter Assembly for Jeeps

These get the linkage off the tub and in most cases make it shift smoother.
Unread 04-14-2010, 06:07 PM   #11
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by coreystj View Post
Hello, im new to the forum, but have read for a while.

I opened a can of worms with my linkage, when i did a T-case drop. First i could not shift into 4low, then i did a drop bracket, and it would not shift past 4 hi, the linkage was hanging up on the bracket. I removed the drop bracket, put it back to stock, had full range of my shifter, but now the front axle wont engage. Installed the skyjacker linkage replacement bracket and have yet to be able to get the front axle to engage. I know my axle works, when i get under the jeep, i can have the case in low, and twist the front driveshaft and move the vehicle.

Sorry to distract your post, but i hope you do not have the same problems as I.
Sounds like you just need to adjust the length of the linkage. Can you get under there and manually shift the TC case? I have the Tera adapter and out of the box it wouldn't go into 4L but a little experimenting with the linkage length and nice and smooth now.
Unread 04-23-2010, 09:37 AM   #12
grisgris
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Hey Vindi...How did it come out? I have the exact problem on my 2000 TJ , I figured out the source of the knock this week and was planning to stop by the dealership for the part this weekend.
grisgris is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2010, 10:03 AM   #13
vindicated
Did you miss me?

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Sounds like you just need to adjust the length of the linkage. Can you get under there and manually shift the TC case? I have the Tera adapter and out of the box it wouldn't go into 4L but a little experimenting with the linkage length and nice and smooth now.
I dont have a problem getting it into gear, but I can try that.

Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by grisgris View Post
Hey Vindi...How did it come out? I have the exact problem on my 2000 TJ , I figured out the source of the knock this week and was planning to stop by the dealership for the part this weekend.
I am going to the stealership tomorrow to buy this part and I will let you know how it worked.
Unread 04-23-2010, 10:19 AM   #14
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I dont have a problem getting it into gear, but I can try that.
Note the quote in that post. Comment was directed at somebody else.
Unread 04-23-2010, 10:21 AM   #15
vindicated
Did you miss me?

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Note the quote in that post. Comment was directed at somebody else.
Didnt even catch that. That was the guy who tried to hijack.

Thanks anyway!

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.