Transfer Case shift linkage adjustment - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Transfer Case shift linkage adjustment

Poison spyder items @ oconee off road 706 534 9955Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe Solution to Radius Arm Bind - Meet Lock-N-Load

Unread 02-22-2009, 04:57 PM   #1
lecharbon
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Transfer Case shift linkage adjustment

When adjusting the linkage for my year of jeep are you supposed to use an 1/8 inch shim behind the shifter? Reason I ask is it is starting to pop out of 4wd.

lecharbon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-22-2009, 06:07 PM   #2
TheBoogieman
Demonic Jeep Freak!

1998 TJ Wrangler 

No shim.
Straight from the FSM:

SHIFT LINKAGE ADJUSTMENT
(1) Shift transfer case into 4L position. (make sure your shifter is fully in the 4L position)
(2) Raise vehicle.
(3) Loosen lock bolt on adjusting trunnion (Fig.
87).
(4) Be sure linkage rod slides freely in trunnion.
Clean rod and apply spray lube if necessary.
(5) Verify that transfer case range lever is fully
engaged in 4L position. (you can do this under the vehicle at the transfer case)
(6) Tighten adjusting trunnion lock bolt.
(7) Lower vehicle

Basically, you are just ensuring that the position you put the lever inside the vehicle is the same position that the tcase lever is in and then tightening the locking bolt.
TheBoogieman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-22-2009, 06:07 PM   #3
Ged4th
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Need Help Too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lecharbon View Post
When adjusting the linkage for my year of jeep are you supposed to use an 1/8 inch shim behind the shifter? Reason I ask is it is starting to pop out of 4wd.
I too am having a similar problem with my 99. I have a total of 7 inches of lift and just recently it has started popping out of 4 low. Not a good thing when climbing a rocky slope. Anybody with any suggestions on this matter?
Ged4th is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-22-2009, 06:10 PM   #4
TheBoogieman
Demonic Jeep Freak!

1998 TJ Wrangler 

When I had a BL I had to notch the plate for the shift linkage to get it to stay in 4LO.

Last edited by TheBoogieman; 08-28-2009 at 08:23 AM..
TheBoogieman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-22-2009, 06:48 PM   #5
Ged4th
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Thanx for the info. I will certainly give it a try. Anything to keep it from popping out of 4L.
Ged4th is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-22-2009, 07:16 PM   #6
wrangler2007
Web Wheeler
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theboogieman View Post
No shim.
Straight from the FSM:

SHIFT LINKAGE ADJUSTMENT
(1) Shift transfer case into 4L position. (make sure your shifter is fully in the 4L position)
(2) Raise vehicle.
87).
engaged in 4L position. (you can do this under the vehicle at the transfer case)
(7) Lower vehicle

Basically, you are just ensuring that the position you put the lever inside the vehicle is the same position that the tcase lever is in and then tightening the locking bolt.
What site is that off of? I'd like to see the pictures lol...no lie...

08 F150 5.4L, Super 40 SIDO, Roush Grille, Edge Evolution, Truxport, 2.5" AS Level, 1.5" AAL, 35x12.5x20 Nitto Trail Grapplers
wrangler2007 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-23-2009, 06:06 PM   #7
lecharbon
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Turned out my linkage rod is bent. I had to move it until I found 4 hi and then go under and loosen the bolt. I then moved the lever back and retightened the bolt. It now shifts and stays. imagine that. Does anyone know if the linkage bar comes off the small bushings or what?. The bar is still bent, but works.
lecharbon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-23-2009, 09:03 PM   #8
spdcat01TJ
2001 TJ Wrangler 

You can just pry the shift rods out of the bushings with a screwdriver, and them pop them back in with channel locks or pliers. My rod is bent too, I'm wondering if it's supposed to be that way.

NRA Member
'01 TJ Sahara, 3" BB front, 2.25" BB rear, 1.25 JKS BL, 1" MML, Skyjacker Hydro shocks,33/12.50x15 BFG TA/KO All Terrains homemade disco's, Hi-Lift, CB, GPS
spdcat01TJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-20-2009, 02:11 PM   #9
04silvrtj
1988 MJ Comanche 

my t case locks now but front wheels don't spin and when they do you can hear them pop in and out what is that all about. do i need to get rid of t-case drop since i put in slip yoke elim kit
04silvrtj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-02-2010, 02:49 PM   #10
gcrv01tj
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoogieman View Post
No shim.
Straight from the FSM:

SHIFT LINKAGE ADJUSTMENT
(2) Raise vehicle.
87).
(7) Lower vehicle

anybody ever do this? is there a more descriptive write up with pictures? I can't find one. My transfer case works great in 2HI and 4LO but it wont stay in 4HI if it goes in or it doesn't go in and makes grinding noises.
gcrv01tj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-20-2010, 07:57 PM   #11
amike_321
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Did mine this evening, no pictures needed. you will see what needs to be adjusted once you get under there. Read the instructions and do exactly as they say and you should do fine.
I was having a hard time getting mine all the way into 4lo without holding the transfer case shifter lever all the way back. Smooth as butter now.
amike_321 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-21-2010, 08:50 AM   #12
Niceface
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I'm getting ready to order a Novak shifter to end this battle once and for all. From everyone i've talked to that owns one...the best $150 they have ever spent.

Novak's NP / NVG Shifter Assembly for Jeeps
Niceface is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-21-2010, 10:43 AM   #13
alvinl
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrangler2007 View Post
What site is that off of? I'd like to see the pictures lol...no lie...
Like this?

http://www.venemousduckracing.com
alvinl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-30-2010, 09:26 PM   #14
VecoPlan
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by alvinl View Post
Like this?

Its out of the FSM. buy one for your year Jeep- best investment you'll ever make if you plan to have that Jeep a long time.
I Peter 3:15 ... are you ready? meverhart@vecoplanllc.com
VecoPlan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-24-2010, 11:42 PM   #15
Hookster
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Ya know what? Save some money. Replace the stock linkage with the stock kit, readily available thru any reputable 4WD repair shop. I have a 98 TJ with a 4 in short arm lift and a 1 in body lift and a slip yoke eliminater. I had to put in a new rear drive shaft, but didn't have to touch the front. I removed the spacers and brought the trans case back up to the frame and cut a piece out of the front to allow the front drive shaft to move down without hitting the skid plate. Rather than use the supplied linkage location bracket when I installed the body lift, I just put in a 1 in motor mount lift from JKS and repositioned the radiator. Tht gave me some more ground clearance. Unfortunately, I didn't replace the tranmission mount and it wore out, causing the tranny to move around and thats what led to the tranfer case linkage failure. Replaced with a Daystar mount and the stock linkage fix-it kit. So far, so good.
Hookster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.