Transfer case rattle/grind - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Transfer case rattle/grind

USA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGStainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 10-12-2008, 11:59 AM   #1
KeyserGogo
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Transfer case rattle/grind

I bought this TJ back in July. It's had a weird rattle/grind comming from under the driver seat since I bought it. I assumed it was the U-Joints and just pulled both drive shafts recently and all joints operate quietly and have no slack in them. I've been driing for a few days without the front driveshaft because I am convinced that it was the CV joint making all that racket. The noise is directly related to vehicle speed, not engine rpm. It's kind of like a chattering/slapping sound as you accelerate/decelerate/ maintain speed. Its best heard at 30mph and below. It happens in gear and out of gear, clutch in or clutch out.

Today after doing a search for "marbles" I got some pretty interesting info. Decided to try an experiment. With the JEEP PARKED, ENGINE OFF, I put it in 1st gear, and transfer case in 4lo. The front driveshaft is still off. I crawled under there and tried to spin the front output yoke on the transfer case. It's got about an 1/8th of a turn in it. That seems like an awful lot of slack in there. Should there be any play in this thing? Seems like it shouldnt be able to move at all. Any info would be great, I'm tired of hearing this grinding/rattling sound as I pull out of gear and slow down.

Unread 10-12-2008, 03:06 PM   #2
KeyserGogo
1998 TJ Wrangler 

it seems to me like maybe the chain is stretched? does that make sense? i havent pulled a transfer case apart in 6 years, but i remember last time when I put it all back together you could spin the front output shaft in 2HIGH and it was whisper quiet. in 2HIGH on this jeep I hear a "whirring" sound, like the metal gears and chain making noise. Any input? Should I have this slack on the output shaft when in 4HIGH/LO?(yes it has about an 1/8th inch of play in each direction in 4HIGH and LOW)
Unread 10-13-2008, 01:36 PM   #3
KeyserGogo
1998 TJ Wrangler 

anyone...?
Unread 02-07-2010, 10:14 AM   #4
jeepbro's
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Bump for an old thread and a similar problem. Sounds similar to the symptoms i have. but mine doesnt do it unless its like 5-10mph and up. Sound just like op described, my only thought when i heard it was sorta like rocks in a jar or scratching glass kind of sound that rocks would make. Any thoughts from anyone??
Unread 02-24-2010, 10:28 AM   #5
jeepbro's
2002 TJ Wrangler 

bump again, does this sound like a transfer case chain problem? i think a sound i'm getting is similar to the OP's
Unread 12-07-2010, 07:01 PM   #6
KeyserGogo
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Old thread... I know... i never returned to post the cause of the noise. Turned out to be pitted bearings in the rear diff. The sound eventually got loud enough to pin point to the rear. Jack stands and a mechanic's stethoscope work wonders haha. Good Luck

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.