Transfer case rattle/grind - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 10-12-2008, 11:59 AM Thread Starter
KeyserGogo
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Transfer case rattle/grind

I bought this TJ back in July. It's had a weird rattle/grind comming from under the driver seat since I bought it. I assumed it was the U-Joints and just pulled both drive shafts recently and all joints operate quietly and have no slack in them. I've been driing for a few days without the front driveshaft because I am convinced that it was the CV joint making all that racket. The noise is directly related to vehicle speed, not engine rpm. It's kind of like a chattering/slapping sound as you accelerate/decelerate/ maintain speed. Its best heard at 30mph and below. It happens in gear and out of gear, clutch in or clutch out.

Today after doing a search for "marbles" I got some pretty interesting info. Decided to try an experiment. With the JEEP PARKED, ENGINE OFF, I put it in 1st gear, and transfer case in 4lo. The front driveshaft is still off. I crawled under there and tried to spin the front output yoke on the transfer case. It's got about an 1/8th of a turn in it. That seems like an awful lot of slack in there. Should there be any play in this thing? Seems like it shouldnt be able to move at all. Any info would be great, I'm tired of hearing this grinding/rattling sound as I pull out of gear and slow down.

Green 1998 Sahara
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 10-12-2008, 03:06 PM Thread Starter
KeyserGogo
1998 TJ Wrangler 

it seems to me like maybe the chain is stretched? does that make sense? i havent pulled a transfer case apart in 6 years, but i remember last time when I put it all back together you could spin the front output shaft in 2HIGH and it was whisper quiet. in 2HIGH on this jeep I hear a "whirring" sound, like the metal gears and chain making noise. Any input? Should I have this slack on the output shaft when in 4HIGH/LO?(yes it has about an 1/8th inch of play in each direction in 4HIGH and LOW)

Green 1998 Sahara
post #3 of 6 Old 10-13-2008, 01:36 PM Thread Starter
KeyserGogo
1998 TJ Wrangler 

anyone...?

Green 1998 Sahara
post #4 of 6 Old 02-07-2010, 10:14 AM
jeepbro's
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Bump for an old thread and a similar problem. Sounds similar to the symptoms i have. but mine doesnt do it unless its like 5-10mph and up. Sound just like op described, my only thought when i heard it was sorta like rocks in a jar or scratching glass kind of sound that rocks would make. Any thoughts from anyone??

2002 tj sahara 3" lift 35" km2, AtoZ rockers, 8k warn, 4.56 gears, lock-rites front and rear
post #5 of 6 Old 02-24-2010, 10:28 AM
jeepbro's
2002 TJ Wrangler 

bump again, does this sound like a transfer case chain problem? i think a sound i'm getting is similar to the OP's

2002 tj sahara 3" lift 35" km2, AtoZ rockers, 8k warn, 4.56 gears, lock-rites front and rear
post #6 of 6 Old 12-07-2010, 07:01 PM Thread Starter
KeyserGogo
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Old thread... I know... i never returned to post the cause of the noise. Turned out to be pitted bearings in the rear diff. The sound eventually got loud enough to pin point to the rear. Jack stands and a mechanic's stethoscope work wonders haha. Good Luck

Green 1998 Sahara

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.