Transfer case Problems? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Transfer case Problems?

Dana 30 Truss for your TJ, LJ, ZJ, and XJFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 03-07-2011, 06:04 PM   #1
Porgie
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Transfer case Problems?

I've had my TJ for about a month now and haven't had any problems until today. The problem is with my transfer case (I Think). I have a 2000 TJ Sahara with the 4.0 and an automatic transmission and 106,584 miles. Everything is stock as far as i can tell.

Here's the problem: It was snowing in NY and i was driving at about 20mph and i shifted from 2H to 4H and my transfer case went to neutral i played around trying to get my jeep out of neutral and found that all of the positions are wrong. I got the Jeep into 2H and found 4H which was about half way to the 4H position and when I pull the handle into the 4H position it shifts to neutral. The other problem is that when the jeep was in transfer case neutral and i final stopped i could not put the auto trans. into park, there was a lot of grinding and i needed to shut the jeep of to put it into 2H. The Jeep drives the same with no noises or bumping or slipping in both 2H and 4H.

I need help trying to figure this out. I don't think the T-case is broke because it drives fine but i'm not sure about the linkage between the handle and the T-case. I've heard that there is a poor design of these parts and i know there are relocation brackets. I've also heard that shifting to 4L can mess up the transfer case if the Jeep is stopped or going to fast, since I've only had the Jeep a month and I don't know what the previous owners have done. Any suggestions or ideas would be greatly appreciated and i plan on fixing the problems my self. Is there a way to check the linkage without dropping the T-case.

Thanks

Porgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-07-2011, 06:14 PM   #2
RockMonster
1998 TJ Wrangler 

is there a body lift? this is probably going to be one of those situations where you need to crawl under the jeep and switch manually to see if its just some kind of shift bracket problem or an internal problem.
Unread 03-07-2011, 07:27 PM   #3
Porgie
2000 TJ Wrangler 

There is no body lift that i know of and it looks like the tub is on the frame. How would I shift manually from under the Jeep. This is my first 4x4 and i don't have access to a lift so can i do it with just a floor jack and jack stands.
Unread 03-07-2011, 07:33 PM   #4
srlbotanical
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Is this the first time you have put it in 4WD?

HIGHER POWERED!!
srlbotanical is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-07-2011, 10:15 PM   #5
Porgie
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by srlbotanical View Post
Is this the first time you have put it in 4WD?
No this is not the first time but when I used 4H before it was just for a few minutes to get traction in an ice covered parking lot ... I didn't notice any problems except that it felt a little stiff.
Unread 03-08-2011, 07:07 AM   #6
srlbotanical
1997 TJ Wrangler 

My guess is that you just need to adjust the t-case linkage. Do a search, it's pretty straight forward. It helps to have a friend shift the t-case while you are under the jeep adjusting things.

HIGHER POWERED!!
srlbotanical is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2011, 07:50 AM   #7
Porgie
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by srlbotanical View Post
My guess is that you just need to adjust the t-case linkage. Do a search, it's pretty straight forward. It helps to have a friend shift the t-case while you are under the jeep adjusting things.
Should I replace the linkage, I've searched the internet and a lot of people say that the t-case linkage is a poor design because it attaches to lever to the tub and then to the t-case. Are there any recommendations on new linkage that you might have or is the factory linkage good enough and i should keep that and just adjust it?
Unread 03-08-2011, 07:59 AM   #8
JC_Sahara

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Replacing the linkage isnt necisary. If you are stock, then you most likely just need to adjust the linkage. I had to do the same thing after I took apart my np231 for a new output shaft and driveshaft.
Unread 03-08-2011, 08:41 AM   #9
Porgie
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC00TJ View Post
Replacing the linkage isnt necisary. If you are stock, then you most likely just need to adjust the linkage. I had to do the same thing after I took apart my np231 for a new output shaft and driveshaft.
Thank you for the help I'll probably just adjust the stock linkage and then upgrade it to Novak when I do a suspension lift.
Unread 03-08-2011, 10:21 AM   #10
JC_Sahara

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Do it! I went with the Advanced Adpaters shift braket from Quadratec. The novak is the cable shifter right? That will be awesome!
Unread 03-08-2011, 04:21 PM   #11
Porgie
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks JCOOTJ I want my jeep to be awesome and even though the Novak is the most expensive option I've seen It's also the best option I've seen. Spending money isn't wasting money if the product is worth the price and my wife keeps telling me just do it right the first time.
Unread 03-08-2011, 05:25 PM   #12
rondak46
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porgie View Post
Thanks JCOOTJ ..... and my wife keeps telling me just do it right the first time.

Get the Novak cable, and keep your wife!
rondak46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2011, 09:31 PM   #13
JC_Sahara

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rondak46 View Post
Get the Novak cable, and keep your wife!
Quoted for truth (not married though) lol.
Unread 03-09-2011, 08:15 AM   #14
Porgie
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the advise. I love the wife and the Jeep.

Tags
linkage , transfer case

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.