transfer case problem? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > transfer case problem?

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsDisc Brake Kits from ECGS

Unread 10-13-2004, 07:29 PM   #1
BumbleBeeTJ

transfer case problem?

i changed ALL the fluids 5000miles ago but just yesterday, the transfer seem to have a problem

I shift to 4 HI works ok, but when i go back to 2WD, the lever feels loose.... when i try to put back into 4HI( while going below 55mph) it doesn't feel right. it feels like the gear has been stuck in 4 HI and never disengaged to 2wd then couple minutes after that, CLUNK! and it dis-engages....

i don't think that sounds too good....any thoughts on what may be wrong?

Unread 10-13-2004, 08:29 PM   #2
Spiderman

Quote:
Originally Posted by BumbleBeeTJ
i changed ALL the fluids 5000miles ago but just yesterday, the transfer seem to have a problem

I shift to 4 HI works ok, but when i go back to 2WD, the lever feels loose.... when i try to put back into 4HI( while going below 55mph) it doesn't feel right. it feels like the gear has been stuck in 4 HI and never disengaged to 2wd then couple minutes after that, CLUNK! and it dis-engages....

i don't think that sounds too good....any thoughts on what may be wrong?
Do you have a body lift?? AFter my 1" BL/MML I still had to install the T/C linkage relocation bracket. I then had to adjust the nut that connects the linkage to the shift level to get everything lined up good. Before I adjusted the screw, I had a hard time holding 4lo and then when I went to shift back into 2hi, it kept slipping back into 4hi.
33 X 12.50 BFG A/T's with A/R Atlas 15 X 8 wheels
4.56's, RE 3.5" lift, Currie 1" BL, M.O.R.E. 1" MML
Aussie D30 Locker, & other crap[/COLOR][/SIZE]
Spiderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-13-2004, 08:52 PM   #3
BumbleBeeTJ

naw itts stock.

no problem holding 4lo but feels like the 4hi doesn't DIS-ENGAGE when put into 2wd ...while im driving like 40~50mph
Unread 10-13-2004, 10:05 PM   #4
Twig

Haven't honestly heard of this before, but you could still check to see if the linkage needs to be adjusted, very possible. Even though it says you can shift it at speeds, I never would recommend doing so; try when going slow, thats just how I treat mine.
Twig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-17-2004, 02:23 AM   #5
BumbleBeeTJ

i just changed my fluid today Mercon dexron III....cleaned it out and fill it in.....

STILL same problem...even at low speeds like 30mph or so

WHAT THE HELL???

4lo works fine ....i just have problem going from 4hi to 2wd
Unread 10-17-2004, 02:33 AM   #6
kfxracer8

try coming to a complete stop, then doing it. I dont think its good on that t-case to switch at speed, eventhough it says you can
kfxracer8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-17-2004, 05:02 AM   #7
lgp

I had the same problem when I first got my used 99SE (8000mi). I was using the 4 hi more than I should have (road conditions did not require it). I changed fluid to Mobil I synthetic ATF and it behaves much smoother now. Clunking stopped.

Ron
lgp is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.