Transfer Case noise or transmission noise? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Transfer Case noise or transmission noise?

Iron Cross Customer JK and TJ Wrangler Bumpers now at ROCKZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 09-16-2013, 05:36 AM   #1
hillikus
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Transfer Case noise or transmission noise?

So I've been shopping around for a new to me TJ and test drove a 98 Sahara 5spd last night that had a strange noise. It sounded like a chain was being pulled along something metal. I don't know if I would consider it "chain slap" because it is 100% constant...until you shift into 4th gear and then it goes away almost completely.

My question to the masses, are these symptoms consistent with a 231 chain that needs to be replaced or could it be something else completely? ie some mysterious bearing in the transmission or even clutch? The fact that it goes away when you shift into 4th gear is what gets me. I don't think it is speed dependent. The owner said it just started doing this in the last 2 weeks or so, and it isn't his daily driver, but I don't think I want to invest this much into a Jeep that will need a new transmission. I have a 231 that I found for $100 and I may be able to do the swap myself, just don't want to get way over my head.

I live in New England and wouldn't even be considering this TJ except that the frame on it is immaculate. There wasn't even really surface rust on it and he doesn't have a top for it since it is his summer only vehicle. Need your help JF! Thanks in advance.

-H

Unread 09-16-2013, 08:19 AM   #2
RnEmOvr
Have Cummins, Will tow.

1999 TJ Wrangler 

How much is he asking for said Jeep? It could even be a TO bearing as well.
RnEmOvr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-16-2013, 08:30 AM   #3
hillikus
2006 TJ Wrangler 

176k miles, interior will take a bit of work, but isn't horrible with only a trail cover and mesh bikini top and I talked him down to $4500 from $5k, but that was without a clue as to what the sound was. He said he thought it was U joints making the noise. I think the noise scares him and he decided to sell it instead of investigate it. Any clue what a throw out bearing costs to replace in a shop, or DIY?
Unread 09-16-2013, 08:39 AM   #4
RnEmOvr
Have Cummins, Will tow.

1999 TJ Wrangler 

The bearing (for an all metal one) can be had for around $100 and can be replaced in half a day.
Unread 09-16-2013, 08:58 AM   #5
hillikus
2006 TJ Wrangler 

So would a throwout bearing be ok in 4th/5th gear but making a horrible racket in 1-3?
Unread 09-16-2013, 09:01 AM   #6
RnEmOvr
Have Cummins, Will tow.

1999 TJ Wrangler 

It is possible. When my TO went bad it made noise sometimes, and others it didn't. Did that untill the day it broke.
Unread 09-16-2013, 09:33 AM   #7
hillikus
2006 TJ Wrangler 

This is a constant noise, every time you drive it up until 4th gear. Not sure if that is consistent with a throwout bearing or not.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.