Transfer case lowering kit - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Transfer case lowering kit

Hella Rallye 1000 Series 12-Volt/55-Watt Black Magic HalogFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Jeep Wrangler Hurricane Flat Fender Flare Kits for 2007-20

Unread 09-27-2012, 09:59 PM   #1
elhefe

Transfer case lowering kit

I purchased a 2006 TJ from a dealership. The dealership installed a new 2.5" Old Man Emu suspension lift w/ 32" BFG MTR's. It drove great until about 65MPH and the steering wheel would vibrate. This isn't my first lifted jeep, so i checked the usual suspects. i had all four tires re-balanced and alignment checked. I checked U-joints, no movement. There is however no transfer case drop kit Or SYE. So I believe that it is drive line angle related.

I want to drop the T- case as little as possible. 2 Questions:

1) How much does an Old Man Emu kit drop the skid plate. It looks small (shorter than average), less than an inch?

2) If I go the home made route and buy bolts and washers. What size are the factory skid plate bolts?

Thanks

elhefe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-28-2012, 07:59 AM   #2
goofus
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Just try two big washers per bolt to get 3/16-1/4" to start, that may be all you need. You won't need longer bolts in that case. Most t-case drop kits are about an inch- which makes your shifter and t-case lever start to suck.
2000 SE
1997 XJ
85 FJ-60
goofus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-28-2012, 10:00 AM   #3
CrankyGypsy

2004 TJ Wrangler 

steering wheel vibration is not related to the drive line.
steering wheel vibes will originate from the tires, the CA bushings, the alignment, the tie rod, or the tie rod ends. i have recently upgraded everything and i still get this very slight shimmy around 55-65mph with the stabilizer on (a lot of people have this problem).
drive line vibes will be felt in the shifter and possibly the seat (like a dull grinding that worsens). they are not speed related, they are RPM related.

please fill out your profile.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.