Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Transfer case is leaking, need help

1K views 13 replies 5 participants last post by  Black06X 
#1 ·
I have an NP231 under my X that I noticed started to leak pretty substantially this morning. The odd thing is, it doesn't seem to be cracked anywhere, it just seems to be leaking from the seem that splits the case in half. I did an SYE about a year ago, and I am wondering if i just didn't use enough RTV in one spot or something. I'm hoping that is the problem. Does anyone else have any clue as to what the problem might be? As I said, it doesn't look like it is cracked or anything like that, and none of the oil seals seem to be leaking at all. I suppose I am just going to split the case today and see if i can see anything wrong, and just be extra careful when I reseal it this time. Is there any problem that I might be overlooking that anyone else can think of?

#2 ·
Well I think I found the problem.

The plug in the tail housing seems to be missing. I am not sure how that plug could've worked its way loose, but its not there anymore, so it must have. Its been so long since I have had this apart, so I had a question. What is actually in this hole? It almost looks like it bottoms out, but I stuck a mini flathead in there, and where I thought it looks like it bottoms out, there seems to be something that I can catch the screw driver on, and move around. It says in the write up, this kit is for an XJ also, and that is where a shift rail would be. What is in there on a TJ?

#4 ·
Thats what I thought it might be, so on the TJ, the picture is correct, I am supposed to have that plug there? I hope thats all that is, I really don't want to have to take that thing apart again. I guess upon looking at it further, that has to be what the problem is. There isn't enough space between the shift rail and the housing to allow the aft to pour out, but there is enough to have a slow leak while driving. The atf is puddled on top of the skid which is why it appears to be leaking at a standstill as it drips from all the holes in the skid. Now the million dollar question, what thread size is that hole. I am at work right now, and can't seem to find anything that fits. I guess I should just call AA and ask them.

#6 ·
Yeah, I am going to give them a call when they open up. Thanks for the help. This is my daily driver, so I am going to have to find something for the time being, before I can have them send me a new plug. Thanks again.

#8 ·
you read my mind! Thats exactly what I am doing. I have napa delivering me a couple qts of atf at work, and I found a rubber plu that fits snug for the time being, in case I can't fint out from AA what thread the plug has to be to fit. Thanks for your replies.

#9 ·
Have you checked the pan to see if the bolt may still bouncing around there? You might want to check the FSM to see if the bolt size is in there.

#10 ·
If you read the AA instructions for the SYE, you'll find that you probably should have cut a little bit of metal off of the shift rail like I didn't do. The result is a t-case that will leak from the rear housing no matter how hard you try to seal it.

I really should open it back up and take care of that... one day. :p

#12 ·
I don't believe that I needed to trim anything off the shaft on mine. Some transfer cases you have to trim and some you do not, depending on how much the shaft sticks out. It is my assumption that I probably wouldn't be able to shift into 4wd if you have to trim the shaft and did not. If I remember correctly i was supposed to measure the shaft to see if I needed to cut it, and I think it was ok. In any event, it had been in and out of 4wd all winter with the sye installed so I am guessing it is probably fine. I suppose I must not have tightened the plug all the way, and never rechecked it after the install???? Either way, it came loose somehow, and I am just happy I noticed the slow leak this early, instead of all the aft draining out on the highway, and blowing the Xfercase apart. I still need to wait another 30 mins to call AA when they open, so I will try and figure out a aolution from there.

Another person posted to check the FSM for the part. There should not be any spec for that part, as the jeep was not equipped with that from the factory. Thanks for the replies.

#13 ·
Why is there even a plug in the first place? What's the purpose? You can't get to any of that without splitting the case anyway, and there's just that spring around that piece.

Mine's sealed. I say just loctite a new bolt, and seal it up.

#14 ·
I had the exact same thought. I just ordered another plug from AA, it was a whopping $2.00 haha. I am just going to jam a rubber plug in there for now that I found at work, and just tape it in there until I get the correct plug in a couple days. When the new plug comes, Im going to loctite it and be done with it. I know this kit has other applications, so maybe there is a need for this plug on an XJ or something like that...Like you, I can't see a use for this plug as well, b/c like you said, you need to take it apart to fix anything anyway, and that hole isn't really big enough to look inside for any kind of damage, and you can't see anything in there anyway. I guess I just didn't tighten it sufficiently, which really bothers me b/c I never do stupid things like that:brickwall Oh well, I am just happy it wasn't a leak at the seam, b/c I didn't want to have to take that thing apart again and re-silicone it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.