Transfer case leak - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Transfer case leak

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueTrick Tabs - NalinMFG.comECGS American Made Stub Shafts

Unread 07-19-2010, 06:43 PM   #1
cubbieblue
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Transfer case leak

I noticed a damp spot on my t-case a few weeks ago and could never really figure out if it was leaking or not so I just kind of let it go. I noticed today it was still damp and underneath there is a very slight sheen of fluid on the skid plate.

Anyway, it seems like it is the seal on the t-case. The seal likely went because I had some DS vibrations until I dropped the t-case. It seems to be seeping out, not really leaking.

Anyway, a few questions about it:

1.) I know I have to get a SYE put on this thing (to deal with the vibrations the right way), can I afford to wait until I put one on here (may be a few months) until I deal with it?

2.) If not how hard is it to pop the piece off and re-do the seal on it? Can I just slap some RTV on it? I did a search on this and there seemed to be some different opinions. Some also said to replace some other seals while I'm in there. Can anyone clarify for me?

img00167.jpg  
cubbieblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2010, 06:49 PM   #2
cubbieblue
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Also when I rub my finger on it the fluid seems to be brown, not the reddish transmission fluid I was expecting. Could be just dirt/rust I am picking up as well though..
Unread 07-19-2010, 07:58 PM   #3
cubbieblue
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Drew a circle around where it is seeping from
img00167.jpg  
Unread 07-20-2010, 09:20 AM   #4
cubbieblue
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Bump

Tags
transfer case , t-case , t case , leak , seal , sye , fix

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.