transfer case chain - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > transfer case chain

XJ Rail Sale!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!Vanco Big Brake Kit Promotion!

Unread 03-05-2010, 10:17 AM   #1
kappa
1997 TJ Wrangler 

transfer case chain

How do you know when the transfer case chain has stretched? I have a 97 TJ and have recently started hearing a clanking noise from that area. If this is the chain would removing front drive shaft take some load off of it until I can get replaced?

kappa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-05-2010, 11:19 AM   #2
jose_p_adams
1997 TJ Wrangler 

It is my understanding that the transfer case chain is only under load when 4WD is engaged so removing the front drive shaft won't help.
jose_p_adams is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-05-2010, 05:15 PM   #3
bojang
2005 TJ Wrangler 

While not under load, it is still being turned, so yes, pulling the shaft would help. How much, not very much.

Freedom from nags, cranks, government, do-gooders, control-freaks and idiots is all that I ask for.

Never trust a lumpy fart.
bojang is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-05-2010, 10:24 PM   #4
mudb8
want it rite or rite now?

1999 TJ Wrangler 

It will be fairly straight turned up on it's side in your hand, not looking like a rainbow...

toast... if it looks like this!

HighLine Hood Jeepers
TJ Adjustable Track bars
DIY highline fenders.... 34-37's under 0"-2.5" lifts
shock length, bumpstop extension, tire size chart click here
DIY shock shifters, more uptravel/better ride

2011 E-350 4x4 Van conversion

2006 Rubicon Unlimited

ASE Certified Master Tech/Fabricator @ jeepwest.com
mudb8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-07-2010, 08:12 AM   #5
jose_p_adams
1997 TJ Wrangler 

How does this one look?

Ive gotten some clunking when accelerating in 4WD both Hi and Low. I tore my transfer case apart yesterday to check things out.

I found a small spring that looked similar to those used in the A/C system to hold hoses together except it was broken into a few pieces inside the rear output shaft housing.

I also found some side to side play of the input gear inside the planetary gear setup. I can't find anything in the FSM about play in this setup.

Otherwise everything looks good. Even the plastic pads on the selector forks look brand new.
jose_p_adams is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.