Transfer Case 4WD Sensor - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Transfer Case 4WD Sensor

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitSavvy Billet LED Tail Lights

Unread 10-15-2010, 04:12 PM   #1
GrantLasson
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Transfer Case 4WD Sensor

What size socket do I need to remove the transfer case 4WD or "position sensor?" Does anyone know?

Mine's in the wrong position--it reads 4WD in 2WD. (It's in position 2 when it should be in position 1.) I've confirmed the problem and I'm trying to go through the floor pan to remove it and then re-seat it deeper.

Thanks for your help.

GrantLasson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-19-2010, 07:46 AM   #2
GrantLasson
2004 TJ Wrangler 

1 1/2" deep socket

For the record, the Transfer Case Position Sensor is 1 1/2"
I was able to remove it through the floor pan without much difficulty. Just remove the transfer case shifter (lift really--I never removed it entirely). The sensor is located right there on top of the transfer case.

For me, it was easier to go through the floor pan than to remove the skid plate and long arms that were in the way down below.

BTW, thanks to the Jeep parts dept because they allowed me to measure a new position sensor with a caliper--without buying!
Unread 10-19-2010, 09:27 AM   #3
Slithering_Joe
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantLasson
What size socket do I need to remove the transfer case 4WD or "position sensor?" ...
For the record, the Transfer Case Position Sensor is 1 1/2"...
Are you talking about the switch for the "4WD" indicator? I just did this not too long ago and I'm pretty sure I didn't use a huge 1-1/2" deep socket to remove it. I think I used a 7/8".

Here's a pic by another member:
Unread 10-19-2010, 10:10 AM   #4
GrantLasson
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I should clarify: the 1 1/2" is for an NV241 Rock Trac transfer case. Other TC's may have different sized sensors. I know the Rubicon sensor is 1 1/2".
Unread 10-19-2010, 11:43 AM   #5
UnsanePyro
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Yeah, I just had to do mine in a 231 case, and it definitely wasn't that big, probably 7/8 like another member said. I didn't have to pull anything apart either, I did it from under the Jeep, with a box wrench.
UnsanePyro is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.