Trans grinding when shifting after gear swap - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Trans grinding when shifting after gear swap

*VOTE NOW Help Metalcloak Giveaway an XJ Suspension*Component speaker deal for your dash - NalinMFGOffset Tie Rod Kit From RuffStuff!

Unread 12-13-2012, 07:49 AM   #1
Diverdown87
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Trans grinding when shifting after gear swap

This may seem a bit odd but I swapped my stock axles a while back for a set with 4.56 gears and I have been searching the forums for a similar issue.

Basically when I drive if I shift like I normally do if my RPMs are around 2500 the gears, 1,2,3rd do not grind. Any RPM lower and they do. Clutch and trans are in good shape. Jeep has 178k miles on it.

Has anyone else had this happen?

My idea of help from the man above is a sniper on the roof.
Diverdown87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-13-2012, 01:26 PM   #2
roosr
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Sounds to me like your clutch isn't working properly. That would be my first check. I have the same setup as you do, even 4.56 gears and all, and I have not had that issue.

So, I would suggest checking the clutch wear, fluid, and replace as necessary. Nothing with the gears would have any bearing on the transmission grinding when shifting gears.
roosr is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.