Tranny skids - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Tranny skids

XJ Rail Sale!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!Vanco Big Brake Kit Promotion!

Unread 04-21-2013, 09:36 PM   #1
Miller16
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Tranny skids

Looking to make my own tranny skid plate (tummy tuck) but I can find any I like. Post whatever you got on your jeep that's not the original transmission skid plate . Write ups and pictures thanks,

Miller16 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-21-2013, 10:11 PM   #2
MisfitSeven
MAIL Crawler.

1998 TJ Wrangler 

I have the Barnes4wd flat skid. No write up. Not the easiest mod. Good luck.
Unread 04-21-2013, 10:36 PM   #3
rbkelley89
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisfitSeven View Post
I have the Barnes4wd flat skid. No write up. Not the easiest mod. Good luck.
how did you get your front ds back on mine is too short now and it looks like i will have to cut a tunnel in the skid and possibly adjust caster angle or pinon with new adj control arms
2001 orange tj 2.5L (113,000) 35" Km2 Black rims D lp 30 Front and d 44 rear with ARB 1"BD MML, 1.25" BL, 4" RC Lift, Flat tc Skid, Adj rear ca's (front soon) TW rear DS, Novak shifter cable, JB ss SYE, RE angled rear trackbar, 8,000Lb Mile marker, Custom front and rear (w/swing) bumpers. Homemade CAI. Lots more to come.
rbkelley89 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-21-2013, 11:12 PM   #4
Jrob05

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller16
Looking to make my own tranny skid plate (tummy tuck) but I can find any I like. Post whatever you got on your jeep that's not the original transmission skid plate . Write ups and pictures thanks,
Isn't that the beauty of making your own? I have an AEV TT.

image-3368711450.jpg

Sent from my iPad using JeepForum
Jrob05 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-22-2013, 06:18 AM   #5
MisfitSeven
MAIL Crawler.

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbkelley89
how did you get your front ds back on mine is too short now and it looks like i will have to cut a tunnel in the skid and possibly adjust caster angle or pinon with new adj control arms
I did cut a notch for the trans and front drive shaft out of the front section that is bent up. Plus my HP44 housing helps.
Unread 04-22-2013, 06:33 AM   #6
j_bydesign

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Nth Degree here... Along with Currie CAs uppers and lowers... Had to notch the rear spring perches... Otherwise just a little blood sweat and gears... Had to shorten my front shaft (and rebuilt cv) when the D44s were swapped

'04 TJ... '65 CJ5(sold :( )... 89' Int. Harvester Toter!
j_bydesign is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-22-2013, 08:14 AM   #7
Miller16
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Yes it is, but I'm going to steal some ideas lol. I just started to build my front bumper . I also got all the metal for rear and steering box, but no Clue how I can make a tranny one lol
Unread 04-22-2013, 08:19 AM   #8
Ironhead
2003 TJ Wrangler 

here's mine UnderCoverFab Ultra High Clearance skid and engine skid, both are .250 aluminum. i went beyond manufacturers specs, so it took a bit of work to get it right, but i have a massive trans and TC in comparison

Ironhead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-22-2013, 08:22 AM   #9
Miller16
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhead View Post
here's mine UnderCoverFab Ultra High Clearance skid and engine skid, both are .250 aluminum. i went beyond manufacturers specs, so it took a bit of work to get it right, but i have a massive trans and TC in comparison

How much clearance?
Unread 04-22-2013, 08:28 AM   #10
Ironhead
2003 TJ Wrangler 

its 1" deep.

currently i have 19.5" to the frame and 18.5" to the skid
Ironhead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-22-2013, 11:51 AM   #11
rbkelley89
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisfitSeven View Post
I did cut a notch for the trans and front drive shaft out of the front section that is bent up. Plus my HP44 housing helps.
oh nice yeah i wish i had a hp44 or hp 30. what tranny mount do you use? ive got a lot of vibes with my bd mml. Sorry op but i figured this convo would help you out in the end!
2001 orange tj 2.5L (113,000) 35" Km2 Black rims D lp 30 Front and d 44 rear with ARB 1"BD MML, 1.25" BL, 4" RC Lift, Flat tc Skid, Adj rear ca's (front soon) TW rear DS, Novak shifter cable, JB ss SYE, RE angled rear trackbar, 8,000Lb Mile marker, Custom front and rear (w/swing) bumpers. Homemade CAI. Lots more to come.
rbkelley89 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-22-2013, 12:12 PM   #12
MisfitSeven
MAIL Crawler.

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbkelley89

oh nice yeah i wish i had a hp44 or hp 30. what tranny mount do you use? ive got a lot of vibes with my bd mml. Sorry op but i figured this convo would help you out in the end!
I built my own crossmember out of tubing with YJ bushings at each end bolted to tabs I welded on the inside of the frame rails.

Tags
homemade , skid , tj

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.