tranny skid rattle - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > tranny skid rattle

NEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WDROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail Ruffstuff XJ Unirail Channel Reinforcement....

Unread 07-11-2010, 09:57 AM   #1
Thrust
2004 LJ Wrangler 

tranny skid rattle

I have an '04 LJ and I've had a rattle for the past year. I've looked all over for the source of the sound including, sway bar links, shock bushings, loose track bar, etc.

Today I crawled under the Jeep and hit the tranny skid with my hand. This seems to be the source of the noise. It's not exhaust related and there's no contact with the exhaust. Just a very slight metallic sound. Also, I grabbed the rear drive shaft to check the play in the transmission mount. There's some play, but not a lot.

Any ideas of what to check/tighten? I checked the four nuts that bolt the tranny mount to the skid; all were tight.

TIA!

**edit** I should mention, I checked for rocks bouncing around on the tranny skid. This is not the problem.

Last edited by Thrust; 07-11-2010 at 10:09 AM..
Thrust is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-11-2010, 10:07 AM   #2
05moabTJ
2013 JK Wrangler 

Sounds like you covered it, turn up the radio....

05moabTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-11-2010, 10:46 AM   #3
Thrust
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05moabTJ View Post
Sounds like you covered it, turn up the radio....
That's one option, but I'd rather fix the problem.

Tags
noise , rattle , tranny , transmission , skid , solution , help

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.