tranny skid interfering with DS travel - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > tranny skid interfering with DS travel

Jeep Grand Cherokee Mirror - Side ViewJeep Grand Cherokee Header PanelTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFG

Unread 02-14-2005, 12:19 AM   #1
mattpm07

tranny skid interfering with DS travel

Hi, Me and my buddy just completed his lift. he got a 4.5 superflex, he has a 03 X with the auto trans. He has a stock skid plate that covers up the transmission and bolts to the frame and t-case skid plate, We noticed the front driveshaft will hit the transmission skid plate thus limiting suspension travel. We tried to remove the skid where it attatches to the frame but the bolt just turns and doesn't back off and theres no way telling if theres a nut on the bolt since it's enclosed in the frame. So we took out the rotary cutter and hacked the skid to allow ds travel. Has anybody else encountered this problem, If so what was your solution?

mattpm07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2005, 04:20 AM   #2
Muddeprived

Hacking it is what i was gonna say......."if it's in the way, cut it off "
Flux Capacitor Heat Machine
Muddeprived is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2005, 05:21 AM   #3
Metal
2004 LJ Wrangler 

I had the same problem with the bolt not coming out. I ended up pushing up on the skid plate real hard while I backed out the bolt with a impact. It eventually came out. Now I am shopping for a new skid.
I don't understand what holds the nut inside the frame but, there is no way to get to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine
Quit overthinking the lockers. Either get real lockers or forget it, 99 percent of everything else is just mental masturbation for the sake of discussion.
Metal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2005, 07:45 AM   #4
jpittman
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Had the same problem when I was putting on the Skid Row plate. There is a nut inside the frame. I went to the muffler shop & he cut the head off. That left the threaded part still in there. To make it look neat he then put a nut on that & welded it. Now the threaded part can be removed with a socket. He then tack welded that insert so if it is ever used with the stock skid it will not spin when the bolt is inserted.
jpittman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2005, 12:57 PM   #5
mattpm07

thanks for the input. he just ordered a skid row engine plate, so we're gonna cut the head of the other bolt off and unbolt it from the T-case skid and piss on it.

Matt
mattpm07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2005, 01:10 PM   #6
Coils Rule
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Chop it off build a new "arm" that goes over the driveline. You will find holes in the top of the frame rail that work well as a place to bolt the new arm.

BTW the tighter you can get the new arm to the tranny the better as the first time I built mine it still rubbed on the driveline when the right front tire was at full stuff.
Coils Rule is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.