Tranny issues - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Tranny issues

Introducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 04-22-2013, 10:52 AM   #1
2-deal-cars
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Tranny issues

Just had my first jeeping experience this weekend. Have a 1997 Wrangler Sahara 4.0 with a 4" rough country list and 33 tires. Did a little driving in ponds, creeks. hill climbing and rock crawling etc. Have a issue with my jeep. When we were hill climbing had a short obstacle 8 feet high but very steep. It took me several tries to get over the top. When i did I was hearing a whining sound. Opened hood and tranny fluid has puked out dipstick. Ran it for a little bit on a level surface and the noise went away. Then in the rock crawling the motor got a little warm 230 ish. Fought that 230 ish most the day. Did all this in driving 4 Low. When we were done we stopped at the house and ate dinner. Put the jeep in 2 high and headed home. I noticed it did not shift when driving home. It seems to be in 2nd gear now does not shift at all. Any ideas/fixes? Thanks!!

2-deal-cars is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2013, 11:18 AM   #2
JBTJ
JEEPer For Life

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Since your profile is not filled out, I'm guessing you must have the 3 speed 32RH auto transmission. When on steep inclines like that it's normal for the 32RH to starve for tranny fluid. You can add on a deep pan that will help with that problem. I would also change the filter and ALL of the ATF including what's in the torque converter when you add on a deep pan. As far as your temp's go 210 is normal so in 4lo 230 running temps is about right.
JBTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2013, 11:46 AM   #3
TJsjeeptj
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I had this problem last week after being stuck in water. It was stuck in second gear until i manually shifted it Once. You probably sucked up water into the transmission. Like said before drain All the fluid and change the filter.
TJsjeeptj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2013, 12:24 PM   #4
XTRyan
ExtremeTerrain.com

2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2-deal-cars View Post
Just had my first jeeping experience this weekend. Have a 1997 Wrangler Sahara 4.0 with a 4" rough country list and 33 tires. Did a little driving in ponds, creeks. hill climbing and rock crawling etc. Have a issue with my jeep. When we were hill climbing had a short obstacle 8 feet high but very steep. It took me several tries to get over the top. When i did I was hearing a whining sound. Opened hood and tranny fluid has puked out dipstick. Ran it for a little bit on a level surface and the noise went away. Then in the rock crawling the motor got a little warm 230 ish. Fought that 230 ish most the day. Did all this in driving 4 Low. When we were done we stopped at the house and ate dinner. Put the jeep in 2 high and headed home. I noticed it did not shift when driving home. It seems to be in 2nd gear now does not shift at all. Any ideas/fixes? Thanks!!
2-deal-cars,

The 3-Speed Auto Tranny's are notorious for starving for fluid when on an incline off road. There are a number of manufacturers out there like Skyjacker making a Deep Tranny Pan as JBTJ has stated you'll need.

The best thing to do is to get the deep pan and completely drain the transmission, and service it. Replace all the fluid, in the tranny and the torque converter, and change the filter.

Let me know if you have any other questions. I'll be happy to help you out!

-Zach
EARN UP TO $200 TOWARD YOUR NEXT PURCHASE!
PM me for our JeepForum Discount Code (must have 25 posts) or Price-Matching!
GET YOUR FREE JEEP PARTS CATALOG!
XTRyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2013, 01:32 PM   #5
2-deal-cars
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I have heard that doing a full system flush can cause tranny issues? I guess I have tranny issues now though. lol. Can this be done at a service facility that claims to do a full sytem flush with a pump? The jeep had 152000 miles on it when I got it 3 months ago. It is the 3 speed auto. One of our techs here at the dealership (GM) said it could be in limp mode and to try unhooking the battery for 5 minutes? If we switch to this deep pan how much tranny fluid does it require? Thanks!
Unread 04-22-2013, 02:54 PM   #6
Knuckelhead
AFSOC Retired

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
It is the 3 speed auto. One of our techs here at the dealership (GM) said it could be in limp mode and to try unhooking the battery for 5 minutes? If we switch to this deep pan how much tranny fluid does it require? Thanks!
Does your transmission fluid look like a strawberry milkshake?

You need to change all of the transmission fluid (and the filter) in the system now.

The 32RH doesn't have a "limp mode", it has a "you abused me mode" and you need to do service on it.

If the transmission fluid isn't changed out immediately after water ingestion, you're probably going to need to overhaul/rebuild it...
Knuckelhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2013, 03:14 PM   #7
McLovin
2000 TJ Wrangler 

you need to get that water out asap! It will destroy your tranny if it hasn't already.
Unread 04-22-2013, 03:49 PM   #8
JBTJ
JEEPer For Life

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I have heard that doing a full system flush can cause tranny issues? I guess I have tranny issues now though. lol. Can this be done at a service facility that claims to do a full sytem flush with a pump? The jeep had 152000 miles on it when I got it 3 months ago. It is the 3 speed auto. One of our techs here at the dealership (GM) said it could be in limp mode and to try unhooking the battery for 5 minutes? If we switch to this deep pan how much tranny fluid does it require? Thanks!
This is true IF it has not been done on a regular basis. The 32RH does not have limp mode, so no problems there.. The deep pan holds another quart or two. Here is my write up on replacing all the ATF in the transmission. Does you ATF have water in it?

How to completely drain your ATF from your 32RH transmission. First it helps to have a buddy help you with this. You will also need a length of 3/8th's rubber hose and an empty milk jug marked off in 1 quart increments. First start off by dropping the pan and replacing the filter then replace pan and top off with 3 quarts of ATF+4. Next thing to do is disconnect the transmission supply line from the driver's side of the radiator. Connect your length of rubber hose to the supply line and run the other end to your milk jug. Now have your buddy start the engine and place the transmission into neutral. The transmission will begin to pump the ATF into the milk jug and allow it to fill up to the 3 quart line. Once that has happened turn off the engine and dispose of the old ATF and add 3 new quarts of ATF to the dipstick tube. Repeat this process until clean ATF is being pumped into the milk jug. Should be about 9 more quarts to complete this process. Total system holds 12 quarts.
Unread 04-22-2013, 04:24 PM   #9
2-deal-cars
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I am not sure water got in the tranny. How do I tell?
Unread 04-22-2013, 04:27 PM   #10
JBTJ
JEEPer For Life

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I am not sure water got in the tranny. How do I tell?
Pull out the did stick and look at the fluid that's on it. Does it look like pepto bismol?
Unread 04-22-2013, 06:11 PM   #11
2-deal-cars
1997 TJ Wrangler 

The tranny fluid is red not pink in it. It is low though. I will add some and see what that does.
Unread 04-22-2013, 06:22 PM   #12
JBTJ
JEEPer For Life

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
The tranny fluid is red not pink in it. It is low though. I will add some and see what that does.
Use ATF+3 better yet ATF+4
Unread 04-22-2013, 08:01 PM   #13
Knuckelhead
AFSOC Retired

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
From your first post it sounds like you may have overheated the transmission? Change the filter and fluid. ATF+3 isn't made anymore, use the backward compatible ATF+4...
Knuckelhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2013, 08:59 PM   #14
2-deal-cars
1997 TJ Wrangler 

It was a little over a quart low. Still does not get out of second. It is weird because I let it warm up and took it for a test drive. If you back up first then put it in drive its starts out in first and shifts to second around 1800 rpms. Then just stays in second. If you get it to second then slow down and stop it starts out in second when you take off and never shifts at all. If you back up after stopping it will start out in 1st and shift to second normally?
Unread 04-22-2013, 09:15 PM   #15
McLovin
2000 TJ Wrangler 

still sounds like water in the tranny to me. drain it drop the pan look at the filter, refill and repeat.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.