tranny hard to get into gear - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > tranny hard to get into gear

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! BroughFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 08-25-2010, 11:57 AM   #1
pops
2003 TJ Wrangler 

tranny hard to get into gear

After stopping it's hard to shift back to 1st gear. I have to find any gear that I can shift into and then it will go into 1st easier. any ideas?

Last edited by pops; 08-25-2010 at 11:59 AM.. Reason: added a question
pops is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-25-2010, 12:01 PM   #2
JeepGuy813
1997 TJ Wrangler 

id like to know this also, my 97 wrangler has been doin the same thing, sometimes first will be hard to get into then maybe 10 min later it will slide in as if it was brand new car....every other gear is fine and goes in with no prob

1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee WJ = [COLOR="Red"][B]SOLD TO PARENTS[/B][/COLOR]

1997 Jeep Wrangler Tj = [COLOR="RED"][B]SOLD[/COLOR][/B] and missed alot
JeepGuy813 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-25-2010, 12:16 PM   #3
sxysouthtx
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I have the same issue. Even worse, if I rev up to high going into second it will do a momentary grind before popping in. Or down shifting into second. I have to make sure I'm easy off the rev's before I up shift or downshift into second.
Unread 08-25-2010, 02:03 PM   #4
AustinCJer
u mad, bro?

1978 CJ7 

This has been covered a few times... but let me give some help. Try down shifting through each gear as you slow to a stop. If you stop in first gear with the clutch engaged, then pull it out of first then release the clutch, youll find that it goes right back into first. Im no expert, but but my dad used to explain it like this. Cars that have an automatic tranny accelerate and decelerate through every gear, it doesnt skip gears... So when you take your manual tranny out of 4th gear, then roll to a stop, youre going to have a little resistance putting it into first gear. You dont necessarily have to go through each gear as you are slowing down... but before you completely stop, try popping it into 1st for a quick second, youll see a world of difference.

Sidenote... same thing goes for when people have trouble getting it into reverse. You more than likeyl pulled into your garage in 1st gear, then shut it off... you are then trying to manually changed the direction of the tranny, so it can sometimes cause resistance.

Shameless plug: www.davidisabeersnob.com

My CJ7 Build Thread
AustinCJer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-08-2010, 08:57 PM   #5
pops
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks I'll try your suggestions. From a dead stop I have to find any gear that I can jam it into before it'll go into first or reverse. I've had many stick shifts in the past and none of them took nearly the amount of effort to get into gear from a dead stop.
pops is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-22-2010, 06:46 PM   #6
Corpus89YJ
1989 YJ Wrangler 

It sounds more like you have synchronizers that are bad, more than just that your not doing it right. Especially if you are having the problems in 1st and reverse. First and reverse use the same set of synchronizers I am pretty sure, so it would make since that if 1st was grinding or hard to get in, than reverse should be the same.
Corpus89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-25-2012, 09:36 PM   #7
NORCALROOTS
1997 TJ Wrangler 

For what it's worth…

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/tj...uck-up-865470/
"For all their faults and all nations have them, the US are a force for good; they have liberal and democratic traditions of which any nation can be proud. I sometimes think it is a good rule of thumb to ask of a country: are people trying to get into it or out of it? It's not a bad guide to what sort of country it is." Tony Blair
NORCALROOTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-26-2012, 11:04 AM   #8
jlipps8
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NORCALROOTS View Post
NORCALROOTS, any news after a revisit to the tranny shop last April? My 97 TJ does the same thing yours does. My mechanic didn't think it was the clutch... he thought it was something in the tranny. I just put Redline MT-90 in mine, so we'll see what happens.
jlipps8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-26-2012, 11:14 AM   #9
NORCALROOTS
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Hi jlipps8,

Well after the arrival of my daughter, I decided that the problem might not be that bad in the big scheme of things. So in the interim, I've just gotten in the habit of always putting the Jeep into 1st gear as I roll to a stop. Yes, it's a pain but I can live with it.

At the end of the day, I really think it's my synchros as one person mentioned. I had been following Chyrsler's recommendation on fluid so there was a period of time I had the incorrect fluid (as recommended by Chrysler) in there and I think it did irreversible damage to my tranny.

The next logical step (I think) would be to drop the tranny and verify it's not my pilot bearing (again) and if it's not, then it's got to be the tranny which will require a rebuild or replacement. For now, I'm just going to suck it up but will likely get it done in the next 6 months and will keep the Forum in the loop. Sorry I couldn't be more help.

Take care,

Brian in San Francisco
"For all their faults and all nations have them, the US are a force for good; they have liberal and democratic traditions of which any nation can be proud. I sometimes think it is a good rule of thumb to ask of a country: are people trying to get into it or out of it? It's not a bad guide to what sort of country it is." Tony Blair
Unread 03-13-2012, 12:56 PM   #10
NORCALROOTS
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Hi folks,

I took my Jeep back to the same garage and they were convinced it was a bad pilot bearing and not the transmission. They were convinced of this because the mechanic was able to get the Jeep into first gear easily when the vehicle was turned off but had difficulty getting it in while it was on.

$325 later (discount due to return customer) they've replaced the pilot bearing and I'm still experiencing the same issue. Talk about annoying. I haven't gone back yet but, quite frankly, I don't know if I should go back to that shop as it looks like they can't identify problems in a Jeep tranny very well.

One thought I had is that they are actually going down the right path and that the pilot bearing is just a hair off and catching when it's trying to engage. I have no proof to back it up, just a theory. I wonder if my transfer lowering kit could effect the tranny's alignment with the engine. Thoughts? Does that even make mechanical sense?

Brian in San Francisco
Unread 08-07-2012, 04:30 PM   #11
csc033
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Any more suggestions guys? Mine has the same issue. Hard to put in gear after driving it, goes in easy after it's sat, and can easily go in to gear when it's off.

I'll try going down through the gears from now on, but I'd like to eventually figure it out.
csc033 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tranny , transmission , manual , shift , hard , resistance , tj , wrangler , 1st

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.