Trailer wiring harness installation? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Trailer wiring harness installation?

Alloy USA and Posi-Lok Cable Axle Disconnect Kits Dana 30 Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 04-25-2004, 02:18 PM   #1
DaveFL

Trailer wiring harness installation?

Okay I've gone crazy trying to figure out where to wire a trailer harness on the rear of my Rubicon so that it remains out of the way when not in use.

I know other people have to have harnesses on there Jeeps, but where do you tuck the wires when your not towing a trailer?

I dont want a harness hanging down waiting to be snagged on something when I go offroad.

Nth 6"LA lift, TT, Stinger/Slider Combo, Superwinch EPI9000, Durango Front & Rear, ORF Tire Carrier, Independent Locker Mod, 15x8 Crager Locks, 35" MT MTZ,Rock Hard Parts trail Cage, AEM Dry Flow, Viking Fastback Top.
DaveFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2004, 02:29 PM   #2
jkulbeth

Not sure where you have yours tapped in, but years ago I took my YJ to UHaul for a receiver and harness. They tapped the wires on the inside jeep traillight harness. I'd roll up the harness and store it behind the roll-bar at the back on the drivers side. When I needed it I'd unroll it, run it out the tailgate, and close the tailgate on it. I never had a problem with it and it was out of the way.
[COLOR=DarkGreen]Green Jeep Club Member #119[/COLOR]
jkulbeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2004, 04:28 PM   #3
Michele
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I have the Mopar wiring harness on my TJ. It plugs right into the existing jeep wiring, on the passenger side rear light wiring under the fender. When I'm not using the trailer, I secure the assembly in behind the bumper with wire ties.

My TJ at cardomain
Michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2004, 06:39 PM   #4
trailratedjeep

I just zip-tie mine out of the way. No harm done
Black Streetlocks, Safari Snorkel
Toys By Troy rock steps, Flowmaster exhaust
Custom Hi-lift mount on cowl, 6 rock lights
I6 torque machine, five speed tranny

[URL=http://photos.yahoo.com/bigmike5599]MY JEEP[/URL]
trailratedjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2004, 07:05 PM   #5
dakuda
Admin, Jeep in Pieces

1998 TJ Wrangler 

SOme stores have little plastic boxes (I've seen them from Reese), that you can zip tie to your hitch and leave the wires next to the receiver for when you need them. I did this on my Z-71. Not perfect, but it does the job for about $7.

EDIT: OK, i just happened to see one yesterday for $3, I remembered wrong.

2013 Dodge Charger | 1998 Jeep Wrangler | Ramsey Winches | www.dakuda.com

Last edited by dakuda; 04-26-2004 at 07:25 AM..
dakuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2004, 07:10 AM   #6
Toasterworks

Harness Tuck Away

If you have a stock bumper, the perfect place to hide your harness is in the back of the bumper. It's hollow in the back and there's a little lip on the bottom to keep it from falling out. Just toss it up there and it's totally hidden. You can still reach it with your fingers to pull it back down for use.
Unread 04-26-2004, 07:53 AM   #7
Savage4x4

how hard is it too actually wire it up on the rubi? im in the process of doing it too, but i may just let the dealer do it for me...
Savage4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2004, 08:05 AM   #8
Michele
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage4x4
how hard is it too actually wire it up on the rubi? im in the process of doing it too, but i may just let the dealer do it for me...
You shouldn't have to wire up anything as I said above. Just go to your Dealer and get the harness. Unless they've changed things drastically which I doubt, the harness plugs right into your existing wiring. It's a DIY 3 minute deal.

My TJ at cardomain
Michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2004, 08:50 AM   #9
Ono

I just did this about a month ago. The kit was $35 from the dealer and it plugged into the existing harness. Took less than 30 minutes.
Ono is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2004, 11:39 AM   #10
DaveFL

I thought there would be an open harness for a trailer somewhere in the rear, but Ive gone crazy trying to loacte it and I just don't think there is one. I might call the stealership and ask but I seriously doubt I have one.

Its a 2003 Rubicon for the record.

I have a Durango 4x4 rear bumper, and theres really just no way place to tuck the harness up under unless I Zip it to the safety chain eyes after every use. Thats something I was trying to avoid, I like a nice clean install and really dont want to zip tie something everytime I use it.

Looks like I'll be brainstorming this a little bit this week and see what I can come up with by Friday. Need to tow the ski this weekend with the TJ, instead of the Liberty.
Nth 6"LA lift, TT, Stinger/Slider Combo, Superwinch EPI9000, Durango Front & Rear, ORF Tire Carrier, Independent Locker Mod, 15x8 Crager Locks, 35" MT MTZ,Rock Hard Parts trail Cage, AEM Dry Flow, Viking Fastback Top.
DaveFL is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.