Trail trans trouble - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 27 Old 09-25-2017, 06:31 PM Thread Starter
darksidejeeptj

Trail trans trouble

Long story short "most difficult" course called black gulch ridge difficult section and started having sudden transmission issues.

Went to downshift and was greeted with a terrible screeching squealing almost belt like sound when I depressed the clutch pedal coming from trans or bellhousing I think.

Coasted to stop let clutch out and noise stopped mostly (slight grinding noise can be heard suddenly at idle) and clutch movement feels notchy and rough also suddenly.

Makes noise in neutral at a stop idling the instant clutch is depressed slightly or all the way.

Same in 4 or 2 wheel drive, same with transfer case in neutral and trans in gear.
Fluids all good and changed recently.

It also slightly drops the rpms slightly when doing this screeching.
Throwout bearing or input shaft I've read but want 2b sure.
1998 jeep tj 4.0 manual 145k lifted 35's trans rebuilt at 139k previous owner

Recently replaced master cylinder and retained slave cylinder if thats relevant.

THANK YOU EVERYONE

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old 09-25-2017, 06:34 PM Thread Starter
darksidejeeptj

Trail was super rough nearly rolled twice if that has anything to do with anything also.

Roughest trail I've had Clifford on since owning it.
Attached Thumbnails
0825171118_1506385930461.jpg  
post #3 of 27 Old 09-25-2017, 06:38 PM
jeepinjoeu
CO Trail Bandit

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
Sounds like a throwout bearing to me, might as well replace the clutch while you're there.

2001 TJ, 4.0, Auto, 35's, Locked Dana 44's, 5.38s, Atlas 2
I want more wheelbase...

post #4 of 27 Old 09-25-2017, 06:45 PM Thread Starter
darksidejeeptj

Is there a way to be certain??

My experience with Throwout bearings is sound stops the instant clutch is depressed at all, but mine does the opposite.

The screeching starts with clutch depressed.
post #5 of 27 Old 09-25-2017, 06:59 PM
mukluk
2000 TJ Wrangler 

The problem comes and goes dependent upon you pushing the clutch pedal in or releasing it; I'd wager a 95% chance it's the throwout bearing, but a 100% chance you're going to have to remove the transmission to find out for certain and fix it. As already recommended, change the whole clutch out while you have it apart.

2000 TJ SE
2005 LJ Rubicon
post #6 of 27 Old 09-25-2017, 07:01 PM
jrallen
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
A throwout bearing has pressure on it when you depress the clutch pedal as it pushes against the fingers on the pressure plate. When a throwout bearing has lost the ball bearings inside of it (which is how almost all of them fail), you have a metal ring spinning on the front of a metal bearing with no balls in between. That's where the screeching of a bad throwout comes from. So yes, you have a bad throwout bearing. Replace it with a Luk clutch kit, which is OEM, and you'll be good to go.

LuK 05-065 Clutch Kit https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000CICYZ4..._aBAYzbR47K3G4
post #7 of 27 Old 09-25-2017, 08:21 PM Thread Starter
darksidejeeptj

Thanks for the responses and that clutch link great price!

I've never torn into a trans before, will I be able to tell once pulled and torn apart for certain that the input bearing is not the culprit vs TO bearing? Spin either by hand for example? The ball bearings coming out described above sounds easy to visually see.

I'm shopping for a tans jack adapter tonight for my floorjack.

ALSO any advice tips or tricks for this job? Anything else to check or do while apart??
post #8 of 27 Old 09-25-2017, 09:33 PM
jrallen
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
You'll want an actual transmission jack if you can find one because you'll be pulling the trans and tcase together. The $80ish harbor freight trans jack is surprisingly adequate for anyone doing the job away from a professional setting. If you were using it everyday it'd wear out quite quickly, but most people won't be pulling a trans more than once or twice in their life so it's more than good enough. You'll also need an E12 external torx socket to remove the top two bellhousing bolts, and a long 24-36" 3/8" extension would be very helpful as well. On every TJ trans I've pulled, I replace the E12 bolts with standard hex head bolts. They are 3/8-16 thread, and 1.75" long. You'll thank yourself if you ever have to pull your trans again in the future.

As to confirming what's actually damaged once you get the trans out, look at the new throwout and look at the old one. You'll definitely be able to see if the old one is bad because they typically fail pretty catastrophically. If yours looks completely fine, you'll need to remove the input bearing retainer and have a look at the input bearing. Normally you'd be able to visually confirm if it's good or not as well.
post #9 of 27 Old 09-25-2017, 11:21 PM
Mousejockey
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Why pull them together?
I just pull the transfer, then the trans
post #10 of 27 Old 09-26-2017, 05:15 AM
jrallen
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mousejockey
Why pull them together? I just pull the transfer, then the trans
I suppose you can do it that way, but why? Unless you're putting in an SYE as well, it's just extra work you've created for yourself. Get a good jack and it's very easy to pull them both together.
post #11 of 27 Old 09-26-2017, 09:16 PM Thread Starter
darksidejeeptj

So a trans jack adapter like attached pic is not up to the task?

Luk clutch kit ordered

Got some snap ring pliers and an inverted torx head socket for those top bolts someone mentioned

THANK YOU to all
Attached Thumbnails
2017-09-26-20-11-23_1506482157893.jpg  
post #12 of 27 Old 09-26-2017, 09:21 PM Thread Starter
darksidejeeptj

I also believe I have a small oil leak from between the trans and t case so maybe pulling them separately and fixing the leak in process is a good idea?
Attached Images

post #13 of 27 Old 09-27-2017, 07:46 AM
NotURMailman
Web Wheeler

2005 TJ Wrangler 

If you have to split them anyway you don't need a trans jack.
Drain them both.
Then drop the t-case.
Then lay under the trans and slide it back and lay it on your chest.
It's not really that heavy.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
equipped... And loving it!

I drive on the right side, what's wrong with you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deacon View Post
It's difficult to take you seriously. It's like you're an easily perturbed autistic teenager who's drunk typing the whole time.
post #14 of 27 Old 09-28-2017, 06:42 PM Thread Starter
darksidejeeptj

??
Im 6'8" & 245 but that still sounds questionable bench pressing my ax15 transmission down onto my chest even without transfer and fluids..

Is there any other repair maintenance I can do with t case or trans pulled and accessible?

I plan to replace the clip on the clutch fork that holds it to the pivot ball.

Having never pulled a trans anything to take care of or with to not cause headache during work?
post #15 of 27 Old 09-28-2017, 06:57 PM
Knuckelhead
AFSOC Retired

2000 TJ Wrangler 

You could fill in your profile to help others help you with any future questions you may have...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.