Trail Jammer install/writeup and review - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Trail Jammer install/writeup and review

All Bilstein shocks & struts - Lowest Prices Ever and Santa Kolak Announces: Kolak Exhaust 20% Off Sale!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 05-31-2007, 04:49 PM   #31
MuahMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuahMan
Oh for the love of God I have been trying to get rid of the whistle for 3 days now!! I love the kit but I'm gonna end up putting my stock throttle body back on. The whistle is all I can hear. I put on the full kit with the CAI, the TB, and the Module. I also put on aluminum headers, and full Borla exhuast. The WHISTLE IS SO FREAKING LOUD it's ruining the whole experience for me. Everyone walking down the street and turns and looks to see what is making that god awful noise. There are definitely power gains, but with the full exhaust, the CAI, and the module hopefully I won't lose too much of my new found HP with the stock TB back on. Anyone wanna buy an Edge TB? I am not so happy with their tech support. I told them about the whistle and they knew exactly what I was talking about sent me some pics of where to Dremel it smoother but it didn't help at all and now they won't return my calls or emails and I can't get anyone on the phone, just VM. I have to give it 3 stars instead of 5 just because of the freaking noise. F*&*! It's so damn loud!

Update, I put the stock throttle body back on but left the CAI, and the Chip Module on. The inredibly loud whistling sound went away immediately. Nice and quiet now. Still can't get anyone on the phone at Edge Products. Trying to get an Advance RMA on this one, and try one more before I give up.

MuahMan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-01-2007, 11:24 AM   #32
chandlerr

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuahMan
Update, I put the stock throttle body back on but left the CAI, and the Chip Module on. The inredibly loud whistling sound went away immediately. Nice and quiet now. Still can't get anyone on the phone at Edge Products. Trying to get an Advance RMA on this one, and try one more before I give up.
I already expect the answer to be no, but is there noticeably less power with the stock throttle body?...I was contemplating puttin the stock one back on too, I tried filing down the chamfered edge of the throttle body yesterday but it still whistles

2006 Black LJ Rubicon, mostly stock with 33's... soon to change
chandlerr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-01-2007, 11:28 AM   #33
barry1me
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chandlerr
I already expect the answer to be no, but is there noticeably less power with the stock throttle body?...I was contemplating puttin the stock one back on too, I tried filing down the chamfered edge of the throttle body yesterday but it still whistles

the biggest thing I noticed with the Edge throttle body was the throttle response increased.

everything below has a hyperlink to the install/review
Rubicon Express Long Arm
D30 Alloy axle shafts with Alloy U joints
D30 Powertrax no slip locker
Skid row skids engine- gas tank - radiator- steering box
Expidition one trail series rear bumper and carrier
Edge Trail jammer install/review
Bestop Trailmax Aqua seat
Bestop Super top

Before you ask about a product in the Technical forums check out the product review section!
barry1me is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-01-2007, 03:19 PM   #34
MuahMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by chandlerr
Yes the Edge throttle body is more responsive and precise to me. I think I am getting more HP from the exhaust, header, and module than the throttle body though. The spring on the Edge throttle body seems to be much stiffer/stronger? I'm not sure how much difference the 2 extra MM bore in the TB does for the performance but it sure makes a huge difference in the sound.

I finally got an Edge tech on the phone. I had to send my throttle body back to them, they are going to try and get rid of the whistle on this one or send me a new one. Ugh, probably take 3-4 weeks. Kind of annoying for an $800 dollar kit. I guess I will forgive them if the next one is quiet. We'll see.
MuahMan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-22-2007, 10:34 AM   #35
Haz-Mat
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I put my kit on yesterday and i too have that terrible piercing whistle. Its terrible. i can hear it all the time when driving. I have got to do something or I am going touninstall the kit and sell it.

I have been doing all kind of searches for fixes of this sound.

HELP!

Haz-Mat
Haz-Mat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-23-2007, 08:16 PM   #36
tims67

I just installed my kit yesterday, i love the power and all. i also have the whistle but only when i shift. I do have a problem though, my Check Engine light came on today. I'm not sure if its related or not. Has anyone else have or had this problem with theres?
tims67 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-23-2007, 08:37 PM   #37
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Nice writeup but it really belongs in the Reviews forum. Due to the format of the Reviews forum, I can't simply move it there so please create a new review there so it'll not get lost as it would here in the TJ Tech forum.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

TJ
HOLIDAY THEMED GIVEAWAY!
Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-23-2007, 08:44 PM   #38
cheesycook
Accident Prone Bonehead

My 2 cents on the larger bore throttle bodys: I had one on my 4.0L 2000 XJ and loved it for the high RPM gain. It really helped merging in traffic. It will cause less MPG if you gun it but if pretty even if you are a granny driver like me. One recommendation is to stay away from a guy that used to be on Ebay selling a red powder coated stock TB that he bored out. He powder coated the entire thing including the spring. Mine got stuck at WOT a couple of times. Not really a good scene to be in.
98 TJ 4.0 Stick 30 Lock-Right/44 True-Track,4.56. Fire RED. Optima Red top. 3" Full Traction lift, Cragar 352 Street locks w/3.75 BS. 32" BFG AT's. Sailcloth top. Classic4x4 tubular fenders. AtoZ Fab rockers and front and rear bumpers. TBT sportsbar and rear spreader. VDP 6 speaker bar. 2K Intake Manifold. Tuffy Speaker lock boxes. Power inverter. Cobra CB. Magellan GPS. Bed lined tub. 3core HD radiator. Olds airbox with Hummer snokle. Besttop seat covers with heaters. All running lights LED.Steering and oil pan skids. Mile Marker PE8000 winch. Currie Anti-Rock. Olympic trunk. Tuffy Console....and Buddha on the winch. :) And a child seat stained with mud.
Hermiston, ORL

AtoZ Where Zach makes me toys!
Stu-Offroad, because I don't have a clue, but Stu does!
cheesycook is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-23-2007, 08:52 PM   #39
Haz-Mat
1999 TJ Wrangler 

An update for my install.
I did alot of searching and asking questions. I finally spoke to the people at edge after waiting 23 minutes on hold. They, like alot of you, told me to relieve the ports.
Today I took the TB off and chamfered the ports. It definately helped reduce the whistle. You can still hear it, just not quite as bad. I also double check the allignment of the intake tube to the TB and also made sure my gasket was perfect with no over hang.
With all that said, it did make it tollerable. I do like the Edge product and would recommend it to anyone, but be forwarned, you are going to most likey have a whistle from it.
Haz-Mat
Haz-Mat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-05-2007, 01:42 PM   #40
MudBoogers

ditto...

Same here, have this kit installed on my '98 Cherokee. I have tried to dremel the port, but was fairly cautious as I didn't want to overdue it, but will now try to get to an approx. 1/8th" depth (on the bottom lip of the port) as others have said, to see if that gets rid of the dreaded whistling.

Great power for merging on the highways and climbing hills though. Hardly use any throttle (hence all the damn whistling)...
MudBoogers is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-05-2007, 06:20 PM   #41
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweeney
Ya know, I don't recall the diameter of mine. Do you know the diameter of the bore in the manifold?
the factory manifold is right at 63mm. anything bigger, like the hesco 68mm TB's, you need to do some dremel work, or preferably CNC machining of the manifold.
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-05-2007, 06:55 PM   #42
04WranglerX
2004 TJ Wrangler 

What's with the throttle body that makes it special? Is it just the bigger bore? Cause i'd just bore the stock TB for much cheaper. On my last car when I was building the engine I had the TB bored and intake manny port matched. for 100 bucks.

Before and after.

The 100 bucks included a new bigger butterfly all new hardware and gasket.
35" Yokohama Geolanders on black rock krawlers
Dana 44 rear, ARB air locker, cromo shafts, Dana 30 front, 4.88's front and rear.
04WranglerX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-16-2007, 11:39 AM   #43
Kulae
2006 LJ Wrangler 

You know what would be great!? Some pictures of all this dremeling that people are doing. Be proud of your work and show us dummies what you are all proud of.

Skyjacker 2" BB, 1.25" JKS BL and 1" JKS MML
75 WX ST CB radio with a 4' Firestik antenna
1.5" Seat risers custom made
33x12.5x15 BF Goodrich T/A and Procomp Rockcrusher Series 99 rims
Kulae is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-16-2007, 12:01 PM   #44
xltj
1999 TJ Wrangler 

To fix the whisle, check out my post here: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/edge-trail-jammer-filter-noise-488773/
Jeep: 1999 Black TJ Sahara, 6-cylinder, 4.0L, front dana 30, rear dana 44, 3.73 gears, 3" Teraflex, 15x8 Eagle Alloys, 33x12.50R15 Mickey Thompson MTZ, Bestop Sailcloth top, KC 150w Daylighters, KC 55w fogs, CB radio, 73k miles
Daily Driver: '05 Silver Civic EX Coupe, 4 cyl 5-speed Manual, ~35 MPG, 54k miles
xltj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-16-2007, 12:11 PM   #45
TheMike
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Since you asked.....

Edge is on left, the stock is on right. The top view doesn't really look that much different (look at the port just above the butterfly valve):

Now look at the bottom. A HUGE difference between the two. The IAC chamber on the stock is much bigger than the chamber on the new Edge (and not just the opening below the butterfly valve).

You can see the little bit of dremel I did, and Edge spoke of. Maybe I didn't do enough but I wasn't really prepared to really hack up a new TB because they said so. I posted somewhere what I did and in the end it didn't make enought difference. I sent back the entire unit and went with a J&C bored out stock TB. It's better than stock but not as good as the Edge kit was. I just couldn't accept the noise nor was I willing to pay for BOTH the edge kit and the J&C TB for a complete kit. BTW, I did ask Edge for the kit MINUS the TB and they said no.

I hope this helps.
2007 JK Rubicon Unlimited 6.1 Hemi, Front AEV bumper (waiting for the rear), AEV Pinters, AEV 4.5" lift, 5:13's, 37's, Chromo Shafts, Front CV Shafts etc etc etc
2007 Adventure Trailer, Chaser#71, which now needs painting to match the Black JK
TheMike is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.