Trail Jammer install/writeup and review - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Trail Jammer install/writeup and review

SYE Kits from CCOR! 706-207-4140*VOTE NOW Help Metalcloak Giveaway an XJ Suspension*Even Better Heim Pricing! From Ruffstuff

Unread 04-19-2007, 03:52 PM   #16
spyder6
Got that Toyota chit

Quote:
Originally Posted by barry1me
I highly recomend this kit. They offer two different kits. One with the CAI, and one with out. I noticed a significent increase in pickup at 60mph+ also.
thanks, i already have the CAI, edge takes AFE intakes and rebadges them, so happens i had a AFE intake before i knew about the Edge trail jammer

My builds: Bruiser and The Grey

|Forge Overland| or follow us on Facebook
spyder6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2007, 10:11 PM   #17
barry1me
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyder6
thanks, i already have the CAI, edge takes AFE intakes and rebadges them, so happens i had a AFE intake before i knew about the Edge trail jammer
Im not to familiar with the edge CAI, since I didnt get one. But overall Im very impressed with the design of the chip, and TB. The plugs that they use are the same quality if not better the OE.

everything below has a hyperlink to the install/review
Rubicon Express Long Arm
D30 Alloy axle shafts with Alloy U joints
D30 Powertrax no slip locker
Skid row skids engine- gas tank - radiator- steering box
Expidition one trail series rear bumper and carrier
Edge Trail jammer install/review
Bestop Trailmax Aqua seat
Bestop Super top

Before you ask about a product in the Technical forums check out the product review section!
barry1me is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2007, 05:29 PM   #18
Sweeney
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeptj19992001
contact jeeps and creeps for a throttle body, they bore them out
Or just pull yours off and have any machine shop bore it. I did mine at home on my lathe in about 5 minutes.
I'd bet a machine shop wouldn't charge more than $50.00 if you brought it in stripped down.
Sweeney is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2007, 05:46 PM   #19
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweeney
Or just pull yours off and have any machine shop bore it. I did mine at home on my lathe in about 5 minutes.
I'd bet a machine shop wouldn't charge more than $50.00 if you brought it in stripped down.
60mm is the largest you can get without changing throttle blades, IIRC..basically just removing the taper off the backside. 62-63mm TB's have a new throttle blade, and are bored straight thru the taper top and bottle.
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2007, 08:30 PM   #20
Sweeney
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlimited04
60mm is the largest you can get without changing throttle blades, IIRC..basically just removing the taper off the backside. 62-63mm TB's have a new throttle blade, and are bored straight thru the taper top and bottle.
Ya know, I don't recall the diameter of mine. Do you know the diameter of the bore in the manifold?
Unread 05-07-2007, 06:21 AM   #21
TheMike
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I just installed mine yesterday on my 06 LJ. I like it but that damn whistle is too much. I get the whistle whenever releasing the throttle and also when warming up.

I have the AEM intake that came with a throttle body spacer installed too. Finding other posts about whistling led me to believe that taking off the spacer might help and it did but only a little.

The added power is noticable. I wanted it because I don't want to regear and I wanted the added power at speed. I can attest that there is a definate improvement at speed as now I can keep my cruise at 75 in 6th and it keeps speeds. I am at 5k elevation and I am impressed thus far.

Again, my only complaint is the whistle. If I can't get that fixed then it's coming off. It's that damn loud!
2007 JK Rubicon Unlimited 6.1 Hemi, Front AEV bumper (waiting for the rear), AEV Pinters, AEV 4.5" lift, 5:13's, 37's, Chromo Shafts, Front CV Shafts etc etc etc
2007 Adventure Trailer, Chaser#71, which now needs painting to match the Black JK
TheMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2007, 06:37 AM   #22
DeesTJ
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMike
that damn whistle is too much. I get the whistle whenever releasing the throttle and also when warming up.

...with a throttle body spacer installed too.

Is anyone else getting this whistle or is likely just the throttle body spacer causing the whistle here?
Unread 05-07-2007, 06:55 AM   #23
barry1me
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeesTJ
Is anyone else getting this whistle or is likely just the throttle body spacer causing the whistle here?

haha yes I actually spoke with Edge about this. Since this is a bit bigger bore TB, and the fact the OE TB has a chamfered edge on it, it creates a wistle. I have been advised that there isnt a leak. Many people tend to have this noise. My opinion is the noise is worth the gains. Gluck

everything below has a hyperlink to the install/review
Rubicon Express Long Arm
D30 Alloy axle shafts with Alloy U joints
D30 Powertrax no slip locker
Skid row skids engine- gas tank - radiator- steering box
Expidition one trail series rear bumper and carrier
Edge Trail jammer install/review
Bestop Trailmax Aqua seat
Bestop Super top

Before you ask about a product in the Technical forums check out the product review section!
barry1me is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2007, 07:23 AM   #24
Sweeney
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMike
I just installed mine yesterday on my 06 LJ. I like it but that damn whistle is too much. I get the whistle whenever releasing the throttle and also when warming up.

I have the AEM intake that came with a throttle body spacer installed too. Finding other posts about whistling led me to believe that taking off the spacer might help and it did but only a little.

The added power is noticable. I wanted it because I don't want to regear and I wanted the added power at speed. I can attest that there is a definate improvement at speed as now I can keep my cruise at 75 in 6th and it keeps speeds. I am at 5k elevation and I am impressed thus far.

Again, my only complaint is the whistle. If I can't get that fixed then it's coming off. It's that damn loud!

Try chamfering or scalloping the bottom edge of the idle air inlet port in the throttle body to disturb the air flow over that structure. This eliminated the whistle in mine after I bored it out. I think one of the companies that makes big bore throttle bodies does this.
Unread 05-07-2007, 09:26 AM   #25
planman
Thanks to all Mod erators

2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweeney
Try chamfering or scalloping the bottom edge of the idle air inlet port in the throttle body to disturb the air flow over that structure. This eliminated the whistle in mine after I bored it out. I think one of the companies that makes big bore throttle bodies does this.
Could you post a picture of this?
planman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2007, 12:23 PM   #26
Sweeney
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by planman
Could you post a picture of this?
No pictures, but, if you look at the TB bore under the throttle plate there is an openning. This is where the idle air valve allows air to bypass the throttle plate (there's one above the plate also). Remove the sharp edge on the lower part of the opening to allow a smoother flow of air. I used a die grinder to produce a (roughly) 1/8" chamfer.
Unread 05-07-2007, 03:39 PM   #27
TheMike
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I removed the TB spacer and it didn't help much. I called Edge and they recommended disconecting their computer and go stock there. This would isolate the noise to the TB. It didn't chankge anything so I called them back.

They are sending another TB. The reason is is that when I screwed back in the IAC the screw moved one of those silver "freeze plug" looking silver caps. This might be interfering with the airflow when the butterfly valve is in nuetral (which is the only time I get the whistle).

I shall see and post here when I try another TB.
2007 JK Rubicon Unlimited 6.1 Hemi, Front AEV bumper (waiting for the rear), AEV Pinters, AEV 4.5" lift, 5:13's, 37's, Chromo Shafts, Front CV Shafts etc etc etc
2007 Adventure Trailer, Chaser#71, which now needs painting to match the Black JK
TheMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-30-2007, 01:25 PM   #28
westr79

trail jammer

my whistled to i also filed the port under the butterfly.no more whistling.

Last edited by westr79; 05-30-2007 at 01:27 PM.. Reason: spelling
westr79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-30-2007, 01:45 PM   #29
BronYon
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Got an AEM kit. It whistles, but It's grown on me .
5 Speed White 01 TJ Sport, D30/D44 3.73 gears, 33/12.5/15 BFG All Terrains, Front Aussie locker Rear TruTrac, 4.5" RE Superflex, sye, Coast cv driveshaft, OME shocks, rear adj. track bar, Aem intake with throttle body spacer, FlowMaster 40 muffler with 2.5" pipes, Optima Red Top.

Next upgrades: body mounted sliders, engine skid, repaint door handles. (Then I hope I'm finished for a while!)
BronYon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-31-2007, 12:27 PM   #30
MuahMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeesTJ
Oh for the love of God I have been trying to get rid of the whistle for 3 days now!! I love the kit but I'm gonna end up putting my stock throttle body back on. The whistle is all I can hear. I put on the full kit with the CAI, the TB, and the Module. I also put on aluminum headers, and full Borla exhuast. The WHISTLE IS SO FREAKING LOUD it's ruining the whole experience for me. Everyone walking down the street and turns and looks to see what is making that god awful noise. There are definitely power gains, but with the full exhaust, the CAI, and the module hopefully I won't lose too much of my new found HP with the stock TB back on. Anyone wanna buy an Edge TB? I am not so happy with their tech support. I told them about the whistle and they knew exactly what I was talking about sent me some pics of where to Dremel it smoother but it didn't help at all and now they won't return my calls or emails and I can't get anyone on the phone, just VM. I have to give it 3 stars instead of 5 just because of the freaking noise. F*&*! It's so damn loud!
MuahMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.