Track Bar Replacement - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Track Bar Replacement

2014 Spartan Locker Special - While Supplies Last! Dana 3OPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 04-01-2014, 08:57 AM   #1
landscaped1
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Track Bar Replacement

So I've had the opportunity recently to experience what death wobble was like. And after my first inspection I noticed my track bar mount at the axle looked like swiss cheese and was badly ovaled out.

So I had my local 4x4 shop fill weld and then add a washer and larger bolt for added support.

So my dilemma now is that the track bar needs to be replaced as the joint on the frame end is now bad.

So is there a track bar that has the stock length but is adjustable? So that it can just bolt on to what is there or am I better off getting any adjustable one and re-welding/drilling the mount? (keep in mind if welding is involved I have to take it to a shop, so that's an added expense.)

Thanks, Nick

landscaped1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2014, 09:31 AM   #2
LC_Sahara
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Track bar replacement for the tj is pretty much drop in and go. No fab or welding should really be involved
LC_Sahara is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2014, 09:59 AM   #3
XTRyan
ExtremeTerrain.com

2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by landscaped1 View Post
So I've had the opportunity recently to experience what death wobble was like. And after my first inspection I noticed my track bar mount at the axle looked like swiss cheese and was badly ovaled out.

So I had my local 4x4 shop fill weld and then add a washer and larger bolt for added support.

So my dilemma now is that the track bar needs to be replaced as the joint on the frame end is now bad.

So is there a track bar that has the stock length but is adjustable? So that it can just bolt on to what is there or am I better off getting any adjustable one and re-welding/drilling the mount? (keep in mind if welding is involved I have to take it to a shop, so that's an added expense.)

Thanks, Nick
Nick,

We have a few adjustable Track Bars that will work with stock height Jeeps. One of those should work perfectly for you.

Let me know if you have any questions or if you'd like a quote!

-Ryan
PM me for our JeepForum Discount Code (must have 25 posts) or Price-Matching!
GET YOUR FREE JEEP PARTS CATALOG!
XTRyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2014, 10:02 AM   #4
afusco1222
2003 TJ Wrangler 

^^None of those trackbars will clear the diff with stock bumpstops in place. The best thing to do is get a different stock track bar so you don't have clearance issues or get a new bushing.
afusco1222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2014, 11:21 AM   #5
landscaped1
2006 TJ Wrangler 

So I didn't mention I have a 4" lift (it's listed in my specs on my profile to the left). So it's a case of I had a stock one that got redrilled and moved. The hole ovaled out and I fixed the track bar mount. (*Purchased with these holes already drilled, not my doing) Sorry didn't realize the pics didn't load.

Swiss cheese/ drilled holes everywhere

so i had it fixed.

So the dealer wants $250 for stock replacement and I feel there has to be an adjustable option that's beefier and will give me options down the road.
Unread 04-01-2014, 11:25 AM   #6
DoughBro
Tonka Tuff

2003 TJ Wrangler 

JKS. That's what is on mine they make ones for 1-3.5 lift and 4-6

Edit: wait, you are stock height? Ok sorry I'm not sure they do stock height
DoughBro is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2014, 11:38 AM   #7
cbrant
2004 LJ Wrangler 

We put an Iron Rock Offroad track bar onto my brothers TJ with 6 inches of lift. Most people on here will shoot it down because it doesn't have Johnny Joints, but since all he does is drive it to school, you can't really beat $140 for a heavy duty solid adjustable track bar.
cbrant is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2014, 02:00 PM   #8
Unlimited04
Read tech links in my sig

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbrant View Post
We put an Iron Rock Offroad track bar onto my brothers TJ with 6 inches of lift. Most people on here will shoot it down because it doesn't have Johnny Joints, but since all he does is drive it to school, you can't really beat $140 for a heavy duty solid adjustable track bar.
it gets shot down mostly because it needs 3" of bumpstop extension - which was verified by Iron Rock themselves in their vendor thread here - so it's essentially only viable with 6" of lift. Most people around here don't see a reason to running 6" of lift, including me.

Quote:
So I didn't mention I have a 4" lift (it's listed in my specs on my profile to the left). So it's a case of I had a stock one that got redrilled and moved. The hole ovaled out and I fixed the track bar mount. (*Purchased with these holes already drilled, not my doing) Sorry didn't realize the pics didn't load.

So the dealer wants $250 for stock replacement and I feel there has to be an adjustable option that's beefier and will give me options down the road.
Sinister Fab used to make a new bracket, but it doesn't show up on their website anymore. you can make your own with an angle grinder and the right sized tubing.

as for a replacement track bar with 4" of lift, I'd recommend the Currie TJS or TJJ model from Savvy Off-Road, or the Metalcloak if you're willing to use a heim end.
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2014, 02:53 PM   #9
landscaped1
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks Unlimeted04. I have been looking at the Metalcloak as an option

Is this what you're talking about? http://www.metalcloak.com/TJ-LJ-Jeep...Bar-p/7035.htm

only thing is the website says 2-3 weeks before shipping.

Yeah I like the currie track bars just not sure if Johnny Joints justify $100 more at this point.
http://shop.savvyoffroad.com/product...&categoryId=-1
Unread 04-01-2014, 04:18 PM   #10
Jwinecoff00

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Thanks Unlimeted04. I have been looking at the Metalcloak as an option

Is this what you're talking about? http://www.metalcloak.com/TJ-LJ-Jeep...Bar-p/7035.htm

only thing is the website says 2-3 weeks before shipping.

Yeah I like the currie track bars just not sure if Johnny Joints justify $100 more at this point.
http://shop.savvyoffroad.com/product...&categoryId=-1

I just installed a Metalcloak trackbar this weekend and it's great for the price. Their website isn't entirely accurate regarding the time frame. I had mine 1 week after order, but they will call you to verify your order and give you an estimated ship date

Stock Rubicon Drive train / Zone 4.25" Combo Lift / 35x12.50x15 KM2's on 15x8 Fuel Revolvers / NOVAK Shifter

Build Thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/j...build-2068833/
Jwinecoff00 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2014, 04:26 PM   #11
landscaped1
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwinecoff00 View Post
I just installed a Metalcloak trackbar this weekend and it's great for the price. Their website isn't entirely accurate regarding the time frame. I had mine 1 week after order, but they will call you to verify your order and give you an estimated ship date
I take it you got it on easily and are happy with it so far?

Yeah I just called them to ask about the length specs and check on the availability status. He said they are on the shelf so can be shipped quickly.

Now to double check some measurements...
Unread 04-02-2014, 03:48 AM   #12
TJSIDNEY
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by afusco1222 View Post
^^None of those trackbars will clear the diff with stock bumpstops in place. The best thing to do is get a different stock track bar so you don't have clearance issues or get a new bushing.
RC does make a Front TB that will fit stock.. 0-4 inches adjustable. Talk to RYAN AND XT and he can tell you.. None of the aforementioned are gonna work but Ryan was just giving examples.. XT has them adjustable that will work with a stock setup.. I know cause I have bought them from him.. and RC makes them. THEY DO WORK JUST FINE .. NO ISSUES AT ALL
Unread 04-02-2014, 05:51 AM   #13
sc00bz
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJSIDNEY
RC does make a Front TB that will fit stock.. 0-4 inches adjustable. Talk to RYAN AND XT and he can tell you.. None of the aforementioned are gonna work but Ryan was just giving examples.. XT has them adjustable that will work with a stock setup.. I know cause I have bought them from him.. and RC makes them. THEY DO WORK JUST FINE .. NO ISSUES AT ALL
RCs front trackbar isn't something I'd run due to it having a frame side drop bracket. That being said, Ryan won't be in office until tomorrow. If you decide to take that route, you'll need to talk to Spencer.

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
Unread 04-02-2014, 05:59 AM   #14
Jwinecoff00

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I take it you got it on easily and are happy with it so far?

Yeah I just called them to ask about the length specs and check on the availability status. He said they are on the shelf so can be shipped quickly.

Now to double check some measurements...
Yep, I'm really happy with it. Personally, I love the Zinc plating and it was $100 less than the Currie. If you decide you to go with it, make sure you have a 5/8" bit to drill out the frame side mount. I spent half a Saturday tracking down a bit.. finally found one at Lowes.

Stock Rubicon Drive train / Zone 4.25" Combo Lift / 35x12.50x15 KM2's on 15x8 Fuel Revolvers / NOVAK Shifter

Build Thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/j...build-2068833/
Jwinecoff00 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2014, 06:13 AM   #15
Unlimited04
Read tech links in my sig

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJSIDNEY View Post
RC does make a Front TB that will fit stock.. 0-4 inches adjustable. ....THEY DO WORK JUST FINE .. NO ISSUES AT ALL
You keep claiming this, but you still can't prove it. You have yet to post full bump pictures and actually back up your statements.

On the other hand, if you look through the track bar clearance thread, you will see plenty of RC track bars NOT working "just fine".
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.