track bar fix - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > track bar fix

Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!NEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WDZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 10-19-2013, 10:16 PM   #1
SOWEGA TJ

2005 TJ Wrangler 

track bar fix

I know tons of people have death wobble associated with track bars and the axle side mount being wallowed out for various reasons(whether re-drilled to compensate lift or just negating to properly tighten once a lift has been installed). I just found I had this problem myself and fixed it this past week so I thought I would share for others reference with my method of madness...

In tracking down my death wobble cause, I found this. Even when there was no movement with multiple drive steering test!

So I had found the problem...on to the solution

First I made a template out of cardboard

Then machined a 3/16" plate from a 1/4" piece of scrap. I went with the Metalcloak adjustable front trackbar so my axle side needed to be drilled to 1/2" and the frame mount to 5/8".

The Metacloak trackbar arrived in less than 2 weeks of ordering for $159 with free shipping. WAY beefier and maybe even overkill but I say if you're going to do it, do it right...

So I went to my buds shop(he has the welder and skill)...removed the old trackbar, dropped the drag link and drilled out the axle side to 1/2" then mocked up the fabbed plate by tightening the new grade 8 bolt(1/4" longer than supplied to compensate the 3/16" plate) and burning the plate in.
[URL=http://s269.photobucket.com/user/garonteed08/media/ResizedImage_1382238359093_zps3255559c.jpg.html]

We had enough room to drill the frame side with only removing the passenger side drag link (some may have to remove drivers TRE as well). Got the frame side drilled to 5/8", reconnected the drag link, remounted the front passenger tire, dropped the axle off the jack stand and then mounted the new MC trackbar up. (we measured the stock TB and luckily adjusted the new one perfectly, centering the axle the first time).

Everything was torqued down and greased where needed.

This was an easy fix to a very common problem and hope this helps others

Last edited by SOWEGA TJ; 12-12-2013 at 12:15 AM.. Reason: updating photos
SOWEGA TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-28-2013, 01:44 PM   #2
TJorDie
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Location: Hebron, KY (Born & raised in Cincinnati, OH), Hebron, Ky
I would pay you to fix mine. I give up.

I am ready to drive it off a cliff.
Unread 10-28-2013, 04:47 PM   #3
tyvanwie
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Nice write-up.

I'm pretty sure I know what I'm talking about. I think...
tyvanwie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-28-2013, 08:06 PM   #4
SOWEGA TJ

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJorDie View Post
I would pay you to fix mine. I give up.

I am ready to drive it off a cliff.
I was too man. I now have a little bump steer but no death wobble
Unread 10-28-2013, 08:08 PM   #5
SOWEGA TJ

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyvanwie View Post
Nice write-up.
thanks! I thought it might be helpful to others with the same problem...
Unread 10-29-2013, 06:08 AM   #6
mike51robo
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Gsellars how much lift are you running. When I contacted MetalCloak they didn't think the trackbar would fit my lift. Nice work by the way. Do you and your buddy need a side job. Got DW I cannot fix.

Last edited by mike51robo; 10-29-2013 at 10:28 AM..
mike51robo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-29-2013, 06:13 PM   #7
SOWEGA TJ

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Im currently running 4" SL. I struggled to fix mine...I didnt have any play in the trackbar with the dry steer tests and just decided to unbolt and lay eyes on it and the above is what I found. DW is hard to fix...I hate to say it but it process of elimination until you get it right. Im in the process of redoing my d30 as we speak. New axle ujoints, new unit bearings, and turning the rotors. I will have new MC control arms all the way around within the next month(just need to find time to change them) and I will be upgrading my steering system after that. That will elimate anything that can cause death wobble....and yes I know Im replacing things that dont need it but Id rather be safe than sorry and ill have trail spares. Why not have a basically new front end if you can?

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.