Track bar delete - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Track bar delete

NEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WDROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail Ruffstuff XJ Unirail Channel Reinforcement....

Unread 08-31-2010, 10:16 AM   #1
Loganwolf
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Track bar delete

Are there any suspension kits on the market that delete the track bar on the front and the track bar on the rear that still retain drive ability on the road? I know there are ones like the full traction kits that get ride of the track bar on the rear allowing more suspension movement on the rear but those kits still use the track bar on the front which in my opinion doesn't really make since. Why still limit the front suspension while making the rear more flexable.

Loganwolf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-31-2010, 10:28 AM   #2
newracer
1999 TJ Wrangler 

It is more difficult to setup a front suspension with no track bar due to the engine being in the way of triangulating the links.
newracer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-31-2010, 10:30 AM   #3
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loganwolf View Post
Are there any suspension kits on the market that delete the track bar on the front and the track bar on the rear that still retain drive ability on the road? I know there are ones like the full traction kits that get ride of the track bar on the rear allowing more suspension movement on the rear but those kits still use the track bar on the front which in my opinion doesn't really make since. Why still limit the front suspension while making the rear more flexable.
Track bars don't limit suspension. Anyone that understands suspension knows that you prefer a front trackbar unless you want to go with full hydraulic steering. Having a front trackbar lets you dial in your draglink to eliminate bumpsteer.

The only advantage you get with removing it in the rear is making it easier to dial in any frame mods because you eliminate the axle shift. That comes with a huge expense of modifying the exhaust in time with some money thrown at it and you will still be compromised with a less than stellar solution.
Unread 08-31-2010, 10:38 AM   #4
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Teraflex is the only one I know of that produced a TJ suspension like this, and I'm fairly certain they no longer make it.

Its difficult to make the front suspension with triangulated uppers because of the oil pan and the front driveshaft being in the way.

Also, since the front axle is a steering axle, there is a lot more side to side movement and force induced. The track bar does a nice job keeping the axle under the Jeep.
Unread 08-31-2010, 11:47 AM   #5
Yuri
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Teraflex has a nice idea, but I don't know how road-worthy that is. You could triangulate like they do by installing your front upper control arm mounts up above the frame. But you would still want to go full-hydro steering (which wouldn't be very good for the road).

MrBlaine has some very good ideas to keep flexability with a front trackbar.
Unread 08-31-2010, 03:54 PM   #6
dcope17
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Teraflex is the only I know of. I even called them about it but I can't see how you can get it to clear the oilpan and exhaust without at least a 6" lift and it wouldn't stuff the wheels very well. They never responded to my questions. I vote no on it...

Life with Christ can be explained like a Jeep...
Being in the Word... grows your tire size.
Prayer... gains more ground clearance.
Fellowship... Is like having a good spotter.

The more of these you have... the easier it is to get over obstacles in your path.
.[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f194/dcope17s-thoughts-bible-please-read-only-do-not-post-1333441/#post13115090"]My Bible Thread[/URL]
dcope17 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-31-2010, 06:40 PM   #7
Knuckelhead
AFSOC Retired

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
The only advantage you get with removing it in the rear is making it easier to dial in any frame mods because you eliminate the axle shift. That comes with a huge expense of modifying the exhaust in time with some money thrown at it and you will still be compromised with a less than stellar solution.
I have the triangulated "J" arm 4 link in the rear. It works much better than a suspension setup with a track bar...
Unread 08-31-2010, 07:12 PM   #8
Recoil
1988 MJ Comanche 

I dont have a track bar in the rear ( 4-link ) but I only did it because all the other kids were

\/ \/ \/
EPIC
Recoil is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-31-2010, 08:06 PM   #9
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knuckelhead View Post
I have the triangulated "J" arm 4 link in the rear. It works much better than a suspension setup with a track bar...
It works better than some rear set-ups with a trackbar. It does not work better than any set up with a trackbar.
Unread 08-31-2010, 08:28 PM   #10
tailhole
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I've done some street rods with a jacobs ladder setup. Dont know if it will work in a jeep or not. just a differant idea
tailhole is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-31-2010, 09:18 PM   #11
Apex
Recon death squad

2002 TJ Wrangler 

So how do you guys with triangulated uppers remedy your exhaust issues?

Current vehicles: 06 F250 Superduty - 6.0L PSD Straight piped and tuned
03 CBR600RR -1 +2, Yoshi'd & Battlaxed

Quote:
Originally Posted by bddisi View Post
Finesse in crawling looks way cooler than momentum.
Apex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-31-2010, 09:30 PM   #12
Knuckelhead
AFSOC Retired

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex View Post
Cut, bend and weld the pipe and hangers...
Unread 08-31-2010, 09:43 PM   #13
Recoil
1988 MJ Comanche 

super cool tiny mufflers that sound just okay with a turn down just past the belly pan. duh

I believe in my build theres a pic of my jeep with the belly facing the sun where you can see my setup pretty clear. Ill see if I can find it.

\/ \/ \/
EPIC
Unread 08-31-2010, 09:48 PM   #14
Recoil
1988 MJ Comanche 

whoopsies.

if you look close you can see the little pipe coming off the pass side of the belly pan. Thats my fart can.

enjoy

\/ \/ \/
EPIC
Unread 08-31-2010, 10:30 PM   #15
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex View Post
Cut and bend and in the case of the one I'm doing now, a pair of tiny Spin Tech mufflers in line with each other.

We spend too much time in the dust to do a turn down, so it has to exit past the gas tank and then shoot out to the side at a 45 angle. Not high enough to scorch dry plants, not low enough to stir up the most dust.

That and I've seen far too many melted gas tanks to ever exit in front of one with any kind of a turn down.

Tags
exhaust , link , suspension , track bar , triangulated

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.