Track Bar adjustment - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Track Bar adjustment

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsDisc Brake Kits from ECGS

Unread 07-02-2010, 06:08 PM   #1
Spotszilla
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Track Bar adjustment

I've read the different alignment threads and haven't found anything about the best way to adjust the track bar. Whats the best way to measure so the front and rear axle are properly aligned. Thanks

Spotszilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-02-2010, 06:23 PM   #2
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Unbolt the track bar at one end and the Jeep will tend to self-center itself over the top of the axles. Jump up and down on the bumper a tad if you don't think it's quite centered which will probably finish the self-centering. The coil springs take care of that.

Once it is self-centered, just adjust the track bar length until its mounting bolt hole aligns with the mounting bracket hole and then insert the bolt. It doesn't have to be precisely centered... if it looks close to being centered, it is good enough.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-02-2010, 06:23 PM   #3
Knuckelhead
AFSOC Retired

2000 TJ Wrangler 

I measure from the frame to the wheel...
Unread 07-02-2010, 07:21 PM   #4
Boston_Wheeler
2005 LJ Wrangler 

For the rear, I used a square and measure from the outer frame rail to the inside of the rotor on each side and then used a ratchet strap to center the axle. Once centered, I adjusted the track bar and installed.

As for the front, I couldn't find a good way to get an exact measurement on both sides so I used Jerry's method from above. It worked great.
Unread 03-16-2011, 08:58 AM   #5
wow682
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I was wondering, I have the tires off the front and axle on jack stands. I had to check tightness on suspension due to death wobble. I found the track bar bad. Will the axle be uncentered now or am I good to install new t/b? I did have to move the wheel back and forth to get to bolts, but axle is in the same spot.....
Unread 03-16-2011, 11:50 AM   #6
mrjeep03
2003 TJ Wrangler 

death wobble?
mrjeep03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-16-2011, 01:15 PM   #7
Zombi
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wow682 View Post
I was wondering, I have the tires off the front and axle on jack stands. I had to check tightness on suspension due to death wobble. I found the track bar bad. Will the axle be uncentered now or am I good to install new t/b? I did have to move the wheel back and forth to get to bolts, but axle is in the same spot.....
By removing the old TB the jeep will want to "self center" on its own.
To really make sure, you need to bounce the suspension. That allows the bushings to relax a little bit and go back to center.
Zombi's are in fact very unpleasant to be around, they smell, and bite--also, they eat babies.
Zombi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-16-2011, 01:33 PM   #8
uf20wop
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
Unbolt the track bar at one end and the Jeep will tend to self-center itself over the top of the axles. Jump up and down on the bumper a tad if you don't think it's quite centered which will probably finish the self-centering. The coil springs take care of that.

Once it is self-centered, just adjust the track bar length until its mounting bolt hole aligns with the mounting bracket hole and then insert the bolt. It doesn't have to be precisely centered... if it looks close to being centered, it is good enough.
i assume you do this with the wheels off the ground?
uf20wop is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-16-2011, 01:37 PM   #9
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Its much easier to install a track bar with the wheels on the ground.
Wheelin98TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-16-2011, 01:41 PM   #10
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombi View Post
By removing the old TB the jeep will want to "self center" on its own.
To really make sure, you need to bounce the suspension. That allows the bushings to relax a little bit and go back to center.
Again, this isn't the case if bushings aren't present. Joints have misalignment so they don't "self center."
Imped is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-16-2011, 02:07 PM   #11
Fropleyqk
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I agree that if its off a little it really doesnt matter. I dont think the bounce method will get you exactly centered.

As above, I measured from the frame to the wheel and used a ratchet strap.
Fropleyqk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
track bar , track bar adjustment , tj

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.