TPS Sensor - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > TPS Sensor

Jeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at BaselinJeep Wrangler Complete Gear Upgrade Kits with Installs andIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 08-19-2013, 12:53 PM   #1
pwatson74
1997 TJ Wrangler 

TPS Sensor

So I just replaced the TPS sensor on my 97 Wrangler SE and had the check engine light reset. About 2 days later the check engine light came on again and when I checked it again it was for the TPS sensor. I did double check to make sure that the sensor was correct for my jeepers.

Any thoughts on why it keeps faulting?

pwatson74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2013, 01:07 PM   #2
AdamLC
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I had a TPS issue once where it said i had low voltage I had bad luck with the Borge Warner TPS it made me have erratic idle and high idle. I disconnected battery and touched the terminals together like suggested to clear pcm capacitor so it would relearn still no luck. Ended up going back to my original and its fine. May try battery cable trick. If no luck there I would go with Mopar part. Ive hear of a lot of problems with parts store house brand TPS.
AdamLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2013, 02:26 PM   #3
samiam_va
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Battery healthy? I have had problems with ECU and poor battery charge.
samiam_va is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2013, 02:29 PM   #4
bcash616
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by samiam_va View Post
Battery healthy? I have had problems with ECU and poor battery charge.
I had a bad ground that causes some issues.....
bcash616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2013, 05:58 AM   #5
wesboy
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I've been through 4 TPS on my 97 recently.
Original TPS stopped working so replaced it with an after-market TPS - worked OK for a short time, then crapped out.
Replaced with another after-market TPS (Crown). Same deal - worked OK for a while, then crapped out.
Then replaced with a genuine Mopar TPS 6 months ago - haven't had any problems since.
Unread 08-20-2013, 11:18 AM   #6
chadridesabike
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Try disconnecting the positive terminal, then shorting the wire to ground. This will reset the ECU. I had a similar issue when I replaced my TPS, and this replaced it.
chadridesabike is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2013, 07:43 PM   #7
Sudcalifornio
2004 TJ Wrangler 

check battery terminal i had the same problems changing the tps, dont get stuff from autozone ur gonna ended up buying more often. try to get the original
Sudcalifornio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2013, 09:48 PM   #8
WhiteMtnJeep
The Punk Made My Day.....

2003 TJ Wrangler 

If you're going to buy aftermarket sensors the ONLY ones that are as good as the Mopar sensors are sold by NAPA. The Echelin brand is good quality. I bought my TPS from them over a year ago and had zero problems after replacing mine.

Journeyman Polyphase Meterman IBEW Local 387

Work with enthusiasm as though you were working for the Lord rather than for man.

http://www.treadlightly.org/

Siena Jeep Owner's Member 25

/l ,[____],
l---L -0lllllll0-

()_) ()_)-O-)_)
WhiteMtnJeep is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.