TPS problem in 03 Rubi...Code P0123 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > TPS problem in 03 Rubi...Code P0123

Huge Soft top SaleRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits BLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!

Unread 07-09-2007, 07:04 PM   #1
03blkrubi

TPS problem in 03 Rubi...Code P0123

I got the code P0123 about a week ago...I have since replaced the sensor but still have the same code and stuttering issues below 2K RPM's. I have gone through the engine bay and tightened all the ground wires I could find.

My horn still works (no cruise) so I dont think it is the clockspring but cant rule that out completely. I was hoping someone could help me with my problem and give me a direction on where to go.

Thanks

03blkrubi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-09-2007, 07:06 PM   #2
03blkrubi

Xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Unread 07-09-2007, 09:16 PM   #3
Sport014
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I have a 98 which had clockspring issues. Not sure if I can compare it exactly to your 03, but mine was throwing the same code with the same symptoms and my horn still worked....

Disconnect your battery and both terminals from your clockspring (The smaller one is for the horn, the smaller is for the airbag). You can get to it by unscrewing the plastic cover on the back of your steering wheel. The terminals are towards the bottom.

Reconnect the battery and see if your problem is gone. If so, its time for a new clockspring.
265/75/16 Toyo Open Country A/Ts on Rubicon Moabs
Sport014 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-16-2007, 12:54 PM   #4
03blkrubi

Ok....here is the where I have gotten so far...

I did a little homework on the clockspring, decided to disconnect the wiring to the clockspring on the back at about the 7 oclock position. The CEL has gone out and the Jeep is running fine. This leads me to believe the cruise portion of the clockspring is bad...I do not have cruise on my Jeep so Im needing the wiring diagram for the clockspring to see what wires control the cruise, the horn and the airbag. I believe the yellow connector is for the airbag (as yellow seems to the color of choice for airbags) This leaves me with a three wire connector but Im not sure what the wires are for.....Hoping someone can help me out with this...wiring diagram would be great...emailed to chrisbby@gmail.com

Thanks
Unread 07-16-2007, 01:58 PM   #5
2000yellowtj

I had this same exact problem on my 2000. I eventually traced it down to something very odd which may save you some time. My horn still worked, but my horn relay was bad. This was somehow causing the TPS voltage to be too high. Im not sure how it all relates, but I just switched that relay with my A/C one and the CEL light went off and it has been fine for over a year. I eventually replaced that relay.

That is something easy to try that will take you maybe a minute and possibly save you a lot of frustration.
Unread 07-16-2007, 10:15 PM   #6
Sport014
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Again, my accounts are typical of a 96-01 TJ, so you may want to do your homework with a call to the dealer.....but, when I was shopping for clocksprings they came in cruise and non-cruise versions. Since your Jeep is not cruise control equipped, odds are that its not the cruise portion but rather the horn and/or airbag that is causing your problem. Since your airbag light has not come on, you can most likely bet that your problem lies somewhere within your horn circuitry.

Unfortunately, due to the complexity of electrical systems, no real diagnostic work can be done without the proper tools. Unless you know what you are doing and posses such tools or want to take it to the dealer, I say you take the horn relay route that 2000yellowtj suggested. If that doesn't help, purchase a clockspring from a store that accepts returns and see if that works.

My
265/75/16 Toyo Open Country A/Ts on Rubicon Moabs
Sport014 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-11-2007, 02:00 AM   #7
floridalawdog

03blkrubi, I was wondering if you solved this problem. Im getting the same code, and a lot of sputtering at all speeds. It sucks, and I am wondering if its covered under the warranty. I also have an 03 Rubi.
floridalawdog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-22-2011, 07:03 PM   #8
creepyjeep420
1998 TJ Wrangler 

i have a 98 tj 4.0 with a very similar problem (sputtering, tps high voltage code and engine coolant temp high voltage) but my horn works fine. my turn signals on the other hand are not so good. they work like they should but when i hit the brake pedal the right one sticks on. if i splash water in my interior, mainly on the driver's side dash the turn signal clicker will come on at ramdoms time. i dont know if my sputtering and turn signals are related but im horrible when it come to this stuff. its been like this for a good while and im to the point of taking it somewhere at least for them to try and find the problem. theres too many wires and too many places to look. if anyone know off hand what this might be or can help i would VERY much appriciate it!
creepyjeep420 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-13-2011, 07:22 PM   #9
AlohaBra

I haven't finished troubleshooting yet, but today we had a rain downpour and some water leaked in over my steering column and this problem started happening. I pulled a code when I got home and it was a P0123. I am going to wait till tomorrow and see if drying it out will help. Can't work on it much on a work day. [Jeep 97 XJ 4L auto]

EDIT: All the searches point to the clockspring in the steering column [it is used for the airbag]. I will dry out and test it later. Most posts indicated that it is not the TPS [that should save you some money]. The code is giving the Powertrain controller a false voltage reading.
AlohaBra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-14-2011, 12:09 AM   #10
tangofox007
Web Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sport014 View Post
Again, my accounts are typical of a 96-01 TJ, so you may want to do your homework...
Speaking of homework, would you happen to have a picture of a typical '96 TJ?
tangofox007 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-04-2011, 03:53 PM   #11
romang
2003 TJ Wrangler 

2000yellowtj and Sport014 - I have the same problem (again) and after already switching out the TPS. I’ll try the horn relay route and I’ll go from there. Thank you.

Tangofox007 - Sport014 is saying his knowledge on this subject is based on what he has experienced with 96-01 TJs…nothing about typical TJs.

What burns me up on so many of these forums is that there is always that certain group of individuals who spit smart-a$$ remarks before realizing they’ve interpreted someone else’s comments incorrectly if they ever do realize they’ve misinterpreted. An individual may have 8,000 posts but when you go through them, you find a bunch of worthless comments that add no value to the threads. Amazing.
romang is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-04-2011, 04:34 PM   #12
tangofox007
Web Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by romang View Post
2000yellowtj and Sport014 - I have the same problem (again) and after already switching out the TPS. I’ll try the horn relay route and I’ll go from there. Thank you.

Tangofox007 - Sport014 is saying his knowledge on this subject is based on what he has experienced with 96-01 TJs…nothing about typical TJs.

What burns me up on so many of these forums is that there is always that certain group of individuals who spit smart-a$$ remarks before realizing they’ve interpreted someone else’s comments incorrectly if they ever do realize they’ve misinterpreted. An individual may have 8,000 posts but when you go through them, you find a bunch of worthless comments that add no value to the threads. Amazing.
Not sure about you, romang, but I am a bit skeptical when someone claims to have experience with a '96 TJ. (Especially when said individual is admonishing others to do their homework.)
You clearly misinterpreted my post. Hope that doesn't burn you too badly!!!
tangofox007 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-08-2012, 06:38 PM   #13
skyjackedjeep
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I know this is a rather old post but just for anyone that might still be researching and come across this one as I did I will give my .02 because its taken me a long time (8 months) to finally sort this issue out on my TJ. Last summer I left the top down and a quick summer downpour hit, woke up the next day and my radio was on in the Jeep, the keys werent in it just the radio was on. When I cranked it up I got a CEL code P0123/122/and 121, ran down to auto zone to grab a new TPS sensor and it didnt help. Got back on the highway and noticed my cruise control didnt work either, the Jeep was sputtering/stalling, I could smell gas and my left blinker was acting funny (sometimes it would turn on, sometimes not...sometimes it would blink 10 times a second like I had a bulb go out.) To wrap it up, turns out it was the clock spring, after replacing it ($250 part later!) my cruise worked, blinker worked, no more sputtering and stalling. Funny thing is I had read a post in this forum just prior to all this that mentioned the clock spring and I blew it off (regret that now) I figured how would a clock spring make the engine stumble on itself...well it does, the 5 volt main line that the clockspring rides on, is responsible for many other things as well, and when it got wet and corroded well you get the idea it can send any number of faults through the system from TPS to Engine cylinder misfire codes, to voltage codes...all the while your Jeep is mechanically "fine" your CPU just doesnt know that so it tries to compensate for a TPS fault that doesnt exist which causes your engine to idle higher than normal.

*edit* mine is a 00 TJ 4.0L 5 speed.
skyjackedjeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.