Toyota FJ40 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Toyota FJ40

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueThanksgiving/Black Friday/Cyber Monday Deals at JeepinOutfBlack Friday Sale!!

Unread 07-09-2002, 03:15 PM   #1
DaRaidz

Toyota FJ40

I have a '97 TJ with the 2.5 Liter. My son is now driving it full time and I have the chance to buy a '78 Toyota FJ40 for a real good deal. I am wondering what you guys think about these rigs as compared to the TJ's. I'm not trying to start a war of words, but would like your real honest opinions and experience with these rigs off road. It has a 4.2 inline 6 and Warn hubs. The undercarriage looks very stout. I think it has 4.11 gears, but I haven't found much info yet on the web with regard to other specs. Let me know.

Unread 07-09-2002, 03:32 PM   #2
mpadfield

Maybe this is a pride thing, (i.e. Midwestern Mentality) but I wouldn't ever own anything that wasn't from an American company. I know that parts are made here and there now and nothing is as it seems anymore, however... I wouldn't own anything with a foreign title on it.

As to the performance, I have very limited experience with the vehicle in question, but when I was in high school a friend of mine owned one... (I think... it has been a few years.) and he never had trouble with it on or off road. If I am way off base I will let you know, I am meeting him for some off road play time this weekend. I'll try to get the scoop.
Unread 07-09-2002, 06:26 PM   #3
Diggin'Taters
2004 WJ 

I used to work summers as a kid on an archery range out in the country. the owner had one, and I have to say that I was impressed with it. Also, a few people have them around where I live and they seem very capable on the trail. Major downside though. Don't expect the parts availability that you are used to with a Jeep. All of the ones that I have seen in person have taken quite a bit of creativity to build. Well there's my .02
USAF Jeep Club Member #14
White Jeep Club Founder Member #1
REDNECK JEEP CLUB Member #1.1 and President!
Medical Cannabis Jeep club (I know I'm not the only member)
Diggin'Taters is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-09-2002, 06:34 PM   #4
Flashman

I owned one about 25 years ago and found it very good off road. A very stout truck. These FJs are famous over seas and are considered the best off-road trucks in places like northern Africa.

Compared to my TJ it is bigger and heavier but other wise both very good off road
Flashman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-09-2002, 09:25 PM   #5
Markus

My brother has a 1978 FJ40 (inline 4.2L). It has proven to be a very capable vehicle. He and I habitually go off-road together and his cruiser has been a consistantly dependable truck. He's pulled my TJ out of a few messy spots. I should mention that his FJ is stock with 4.10s and 30x9.5 mud terrain tires. In spite of the truck's "stockiness" it is a great truck on and off highway.

Make sure you inspect the FJ thoroughly. Like an older CJ, cruisers are prone to rust. However, if it hasn't been abused and has been well maintained, the truck will make a very cool rig. Check out these sites:

<a href="http://www.coolcruisers.com" target="_blank">www.coolcruisers.com</a>
<a href="http://www.jtoutfitters.com" target="_blank">www.jtoutfitters.com</a>
<a href="http://www.tlc4x4.com" target="_blank">www.tlc4x4.com</a>
<a href="http://www.tlca.org" target="_blank">www.tlca.org</a>

They'll tell you a ton about what to look for.
Markus

[URL=www.truro-offroad.com]TRURO OFFROAD[/URL]
Markus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-10-2002, 09:48 AM   #6
Stevo

I owned a '78 FJ40 and now an '00 TJ and there is no comparison. The ride and handling of my TJ is so much better than my old Cruiser. The top on my old FJ was hard to take off compared to the soft tops on Jeeps. I ran into problems with the exhaust system and also ended up replacing the whole transmission. I had rust problems around the back wheel wells.
They both are very capable off road. My FJ never bogged down and went through some amazing stuff, it was just getting there on the highway that was tough. I do love the look of the old Landcruisers especially if they are in good shape. I always wanted one that had the Chevy short block installed. HTH
Stevo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-12-2002, 10:01 PM   #7
NickMG

All I have to say is Traitor. This is after all a Jeep forum. Dont talk about those ever again
98 Sahara with 3 inch body,3 1/2 rubicon express 35 BFG MUD terrains with full spare, wilderness expedition rack with 4 Hella driving lights, Hi-lift, CB+ PA system, 2 10" JL subs with 600 watt amp D30 and D35 oh yes dont mess with the big boys.
NickMG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-15-2002, 05:13 PM   #8
mpadfield

Report from my friend:

Parts - non-existant, at least in our area.
Rust - Plentiful
Top - Pain to mess with

He wasn't worried about the rust. We were young and didn't really care. The parts problem, he said when it was retired he considered it more of a Frankenstein than a Toyota. The top problem, only messed with it twice a year, putting it on for Winter and taking it off for Summer. Not very helpful, after reading the other posts... sorry.
Unread 07-15-2002, 07:43 PM   #9
aroberts

A Guy in our club has an FJ40. He likes it. I've watched him and his biggest problem is he is to high. He has 9 million inches of lift and 44" super swampers, bead locks, and dana 60 at both ends. Seems to be a good ride.
aroberts is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-15-2002, 08:00 PM   #10
cptyarderho

positives: very sturdy, looks great, very capable, very different
negatives: parts rare/expensive at times, narrow wheel base compared to the height.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.