Towing a Uhaul cross country....? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Towing a Uhaul cross country....?

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Unread 07-07-2010, 02:53 PM   #1
crowmobe540

Towing a Uhaul cross country....?

I have a 2006 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon. I am moving from Austin, TX to Santa Clara, Ca this week and have just started considering towing a uhaul. Has anyone had experience with this. I think I can get away with a 5x8 trailer so it would only be 1800lbs, but I may have to go with the 6x12 which is 2500lbs (both weights are expected to be loaded, not empty). Anyone know of any issues I may have in doing this?

crowmobe540 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2010, 03:01 PM   #2
mdm
Farm Wheeler
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Soft top? UHaul won't rent to you.

Short wheel base TJ? Poor tow vehicle. Trailers like to push them around. LJs are better at towing.

UHaul trailers don't have brakes which help quite a bit when towing with a vehicle like a TJ.

Welcome to the forum. Good luck with the move.

Any moment someone will chime in with the "I towed 6000 lbs from WA to FL and never had a problem, couldn't tell it was back there" BS story.
Unread 07-07-2010, 04:06 PM   #3
rmb2485
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I rented the 5x8 enclosed Uhaul trailer to move from NY to PA a few years ago (only 150 miles or so, but including bridges and very rough highways in Queens). Don't know what it weighed, but it was full of all my personal belongings, some furniture, tons of tools, a bunch of Jeep parts, a 32" CRT TV, etc and had to total more than 2000lb. It towed great behind my SWB TJ. I did need the hard top to rent it though, and at this point I had a Hidden Hitch receiver and only needed a 2" drop hitch.

Since then I've moved twice more in town and used a friend's 5x10 open trailer. Don't know what it weighed, but the load that included all my tools and some of the furniture loads had to be over 2000lb. The picture below was one of the lighter furniture loads.

Slightly off topic, but I actually had that trailer break loose once when the nut come off the hitch ball. Luckily the trailer was empty, the safety chains did their job, and there were no parked cars or oncoming traffic, but I almost needed new panties. I ended up using a ratchet strap to hold the coupler (with the ball in it and in the hitch, just without the nut to hold the ball in the hitch) to the hitch and limped home a mile or two. Now I check than damn nut every time I put the hitch in the receiver.

I now own a 5x8 open trailer and use an adjustable drop hitch (set to about a 10" drop) and the receiver that's built into my Nate's 4x4 bumper. I haven't loaded it with anything too heavy, but I use it to bring stuff home from Lowes, take yard waste to the recycle center, etc and it works great with the Jeep. It actually tows so well that when it's empty I have to continually check my mirrors to make sure it's still there.
rmb2485 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2010, 04:08 PM   #4
GOLENJEEPTJ
Running Secretly Amok!

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Rent a truck and tow the Rubi is your best and safest bet!
GOLENJEEPTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2010, 04:18 PM   #5
briguy3030
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I towed 6000 lbs from MO to CA and never had a problem, couldn't tell it was back there.

"You miss 100 percent of the shots you never take."
-Wayne Gretzky
briguy3030 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2010, 04:31 PM   #6
GOLENJEEPTJ
Running Secretly Amok!

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Good call on the above post!
GOLENJEEPTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2010, 04:34 PM   #7
tim87114
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Tried to link to u-haul but i won't. They show you can tow alot of thier trailers with the Rubicon.

Balance the load properly and you won't have any issues.
Now, I've pulled a cord of wood with my TJ on a 4x8x4 trailer. It was scary as hell to stop that thing. But, I didn't have a drop hitch on it at the time either, so that didn't help at all. Since then I have pulled near 2k with my TJ using a drop hitch without any major complications. But I was also running ceramic pads so the scare factor was lower because the brake pedal feel was better. Did I like towing that much, HECK NO! But if you watch your speeds and are careful, you will be ok.
tim87114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2010, 05:48 PM   #8
HPJeep
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Doubt Uhaul will rent anything bigger than a 5x8 to you. If you need a bigger trailer show up with a friend's truck to pick up the trailer and then tow it with your TJ. Uhaul in CA may be pissed but it will be too late! Just be aware that emergency braking with a long or heavy trailer may jackknife the TJ. Leave plenty of room in front of you, load it properly and you'll be ok. Gas mileage will suck though. My TJ gets 9 mpg when towing a 4x6.
HPJeep is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow , towing , uhaul , tj , wrangler

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.