Towing with a TJ - how much is too much?? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Towing with a TJ - how much is too much??

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineToxic Brakes - 3000 PSI Braided Stainless Steel Brake LineCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 10-11-2007, 01:16 AM   #1
Nomadgirl

Towing with a TJ - how much is too much??

'morning everybody from Greece

My beloved one wants to tow his competition car behind the TJ, for a highway distance of about 500km

The combined weight of the comp car and two-axle trailer is +/- 2000kg (that is 4250lbs, right?)

The trailer has brakes, and the TJ is a 6-speed manual with a D44 rear.

Is that weight too much?, will it be safe (extreme caution will be taken during towing, of course..). Will it damage anything in the TJ?? Anyone with a similar experience??

Thanks, Anna

Nomadgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-11-2007, 01:50 AM   #2
fromme
1994 YJ Wrangler 

That's way too much for a TJ. The axles, trans, and engine may even be up to the task, but that short wheel base and weight will make it unstable and very unsafe with that kind of weight behind it. Not to mention the rear bumper would be dragging the ground.
On the other hand, I've found that what is considered unsafe and illegal in the States seems to be ok and acceptable on the other side of the water. This spring I spent a few weeks in Germany and Italy, I routinely saw these little European cars towing these huge campers and trailers that had to be twice the weight of the car towing them. I'm talking about campers and trailers that we use 1/2 ton and 3/4 ton trucks to tow them. I also saw two wrecks within a few days apart involving said towing setups on the Autobahn where the whole setups completely flipped and were destroyed.
Unread 10-11-2007, 02:07 AM   #3
Nomadgirl

Our concern is not about it beeing legal. It is, here in Greece the max towing weight of the TJ is 2250 kg, according to the dealer.

The problem is, is it safe and inside the capabilities of the TJ?

Last edited by Nomadgirl; 10-11-2007 at 02:41 AM..
Unread 10-11-2007, 02:41 AM   #4
fromme
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Then the short answer is it is unsafe and beyond the capabilities of a TJ. I said that above; it is both unsafe and illegal here in the states. I can't speak for what is allowed in Greece. Max towing capacity is 2,000 pounds with a TJ. I should have just kept the answer short like this I guess, I must have elaborated too much. Your beloved one is planning to tow more than twice the weight that is considered both safe and legal.
Unread 10-11-2007, 03:04 AM   #5
Nomadgirl

someone (very closely related to me) will not be very happy reading this...

I wonder, how come the official "Chrysler - Jeep" dealer here gave us a written statement that the TJ can tow 2250kg.
Unread 10-11-2007, 03:42 AM   #6
fromme
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Because, as I said in my very first post, what is considered safe and legal in other countries is different than what is acceptable here. The same vehicles can have different tow and weight ratings assigned to them in different countries. I have seen this myself. For instance, a few years ago my wife was driving a Land Rover Freelander. The US manual stated a max tow rating of 2000 pounds. Talking with other members on the LR Forum who were from European countries, their manuals listed the max tow rating of 1800 kg, which is about 4000 pounds. Most members on this forum live in the US, so we're all going to tell you 4000 pounds is too much, because to us it is. But I bet if you ask someone where you live, they will say no problem. I hope that helps clear it up.
Unread 10-11-2007, 08:05 AM   #7
Whybu1
Lets go Penguins!!!!

2001 TJ Wrangler 

You can pull it just fine. The issue will be in the stopping it and keeping it from pushing your rear end around on corners. I would not pull that much with my TJ. Especially if it could end up damaging someone else's property. Can you say ex-friend if you have a wreck?
Whybu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-11-2007, 09:36 AM   #8
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

I couldn't disagree more with anyone saying it is safe to tow that much weight behind a TJ, whether it has trailer brakes or not.

I've been towing boats and trailers for 39 years and the TJ, due to its very short wheelbase, is barely safe at towing even its U.S. maximum safe tow limit of 2,000 lbs. Towing can be so dangerous for everyone even close to the what is being towed that it's just always best to be conservative and never push the limits of the tow vehicle.

My vote is a resounding no on your question of if it would be safe to tow his 4250 lb. race car. Possible, yes... safe, no. DEFINITELY not safe.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-11-2007, 09:45 AM   #9
Jerky bump
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadgirl
Our concern is not about it beeing legal. It is, here in Greece the max towing weight of the TJ is 2250 kg, according to the dealer.

The problem is, is it safe and inside the capabilities of the TJ?

Check your manual. That figure you gave may be the GCVWR. That would be the Jeep, trailer, load, passengers, fuel, soft drinks, cigarette packs, luggage, etc. The whole ball of wax. I've towed over the limit plenty of times....... But "THAT?" I would only attempt it at about 10km/h in a TJ.
Jerky bump is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-11-2007, 09:49 AM   #10
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

possible, yes at maybe 10mph. tongue weight will be way to much, may damage/stress the frame and/or suspension depending on bumper/hitch configuration. plus you wont be able to stop or corner.

this is a load i'd pull with a 3/4 ton diesel pickup truck, not a TJ half the size.
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-11-2007, 10:15 AM   #11
92blazn
2010 JK Wrangler 

I would hate to have the trailer start to sway then what do you do but hold on and go for the ride. I would say to much combined weight!! I would feel ok with small trailer and ATV , but car hauler and race car be pushing it
I'm not actually going for the wheeling, I just want to watch Ed drive his Jeep. :o
92blazn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-11-2007, 11:43 PM   #12
Nomadgirl

We got the message

Never on the highway, only for "home-to-garage" transportation of the racecar, with minimum speed.

Thanks, everybody!
Unread 10-12-2007, 12:49 AM   #13
blueknight44

Please don't attempt to try this as you have described, I have over 20 years as a public safety professional law enforcement officer, I've patrolled the Long Island expressway in Suffolk County, New York and this setup isn't safe or prudent.

I also have 15 years of retirement experience pulling a 29 foot travel trailer approximately 30,000 miles from New York to Florida, across the Rocky Mountains twice, California, Mexico, North to the New York Canadian Border.

I've seen the loss of life from mechanical failures, so please don't try this.

I do care about people,

Blueknight
blueknight44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2012, 03:57 PM   #14
davisSS396
2006 TJ Wrangler 

haha sure, weve pulled a 30 foot chapparal cabin cruiser with our tj. LOL from the end of the driveway to the shop, i wouldnt trust my tj on the road with anthing bigger than our small seadoo trailer.
davisSS396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2012, 09:23 PM   #15
Patrick H

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Holy old-thread Batman!

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.