Towing with a modified TJ? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Towing with a modified TJ?

USA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4Eliminate Hood Flutter!!!Offset Tie Rod Kit From RuffStuff!

Unread 02-21-2013, 09:19 AM   #16
dlysle
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzimerf View Post
Towed a uhaul enclosed trailer with my 90 yj 4.2l completely full and still had no isues.
around here Uhaul will not rent you any kind of trailer if you have a jeep, even if it has a hardtop! read into that whatever you will.

'four wheel drive only allows you to get stuck in more inaccessible places' - George Noll
dlysle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2013, 10:26 AM   #17
check58
2006 TJ Wrangler 

The nice thing of having that 5 speed, is the benefit of engine braking. Not very helpful in town, but great on the highway to prevent overheating your brakes!
check58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2013, 11:03 AM   #18
MAMMOTH
Wooly Member

2004 TJ Wrangler 

I pull my popup (84 Jayco 705) from Omaha to Tuttle Creek ORV with no issues.
Having the Vanco BBK does help with stopping in my opinion.
2007 JK Unlimited - The wife's ride.
MAMMOTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2013, 11:28 AM   #19
RnEmOvr
Have Cummins, Will tow.

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlysle View Post
around here Uhaul will not rent you any kind of trailer if you have a jeep, even if it has a hardtop! read into that whatever you will.
Depending on when. The Uhaul Jeep ban wasn't untill recently and prior to that they did not allow soft tops. For a while they wouldn't rent trailers to Explorers either.

Looking to swap my 4" springs for your 2-3" springs. PM for details.
RnEmOvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2013, 11:36 AM   #20
mcon12000
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Check out my profile picture of my rig in our "Going Camping Mode".. I'm getting maybe 9mpg and maintaining 65mph in the very flat south is a challenge. The trailer is a teardrop which is perfect for the jeep it's a little guy 4 wide and dry its around 800lbs. I would factor in more than you guessed for fuel based on my experience and the fact that you have actual elevation changes on your journey.

The other guy's are right about pulling it around town prior to the trip it will bring issues to your attention prior to leaving.. Tongue weight and hitch slop come to mind! Also something that happened to me is some of the bolts holding my rear bumper on loosened over the trip due to the trailer so watch those bumper/hitch bolts at the fuel stops.

Oh and service the wheel bearing on the pop-up before you go..
mcon12000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2013, 11:42 AM   #21
Tuffjeeper
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I pulled a 2 place snowmobile trailer with one ATV on it (Polaris Scrambler 400) once. Never again.. The combination the weight of the trailer + ATV and the Jeep's antirock swaybars front and rear made it an interesting situation.

The best way to describe it: Tail wagging the dog.

For me, the stock brakes did good stopping, but it was all the body roll and the trailer trying to steer the Jeep is what has me not wanting to tow with it again. Time for a tow vehicle.

The only towing my TJ will be doing is towing my buddies out when they break..

Quote:
Originally Posted by plrbear View Post
Destroyed it somehow..... It went wobble wobble wobble boom
Tuffjeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2013, 11:46 AM   #22
c69ss396
Just me...

2001 TJ Wrangler 

I tow 1500lb regularly with no issues, The only thing I would address is trailer brakes since our brakes suck.
c69ss396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2013, 11:49 AM   #23
c69ss396
Just me...

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RnEmOvr View Post
Depending on when. The Uhaul Jeep ban wasn't untill recently and prior to that they did not allow soft tops. For a while they wouldn't rent trailers to Explorers either.
I rented a trailer from uhaul last month, The only requirement was it had to have the hard top on.
c69ss396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2013, 12:09 PM   #24
DeltaForceB85
2008 KK Liberty 

I don know about the TJ, but I tow a 25 foot long equipment trailer all the time with my KK. I've put a tractor in it, garbage, my wife's toyota camry and once the wood from an entire mature live oak. I've never had a problem, but I've never tried to pull any of that stuff up a mountain pass either.
Unread 02-21-2013, 02:02 PM   #25
prjohnson
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaForceB85 View Post
I don know about the TJ, but I tow a 25 foot long equipment trailer all the time with my KK. I've put a tractor in it, garbage, my wife's toyota camry and once the wood from an entire mature live oak. I've never had a problem, but I've never tried to pull any of that stuff up a mountain pass either.
What's the weight of that? I need to tow a small skid steer about 2 miles down a flat road, with one decent sided hill. I can get a truck to tow, but it'll be a big PITA.
prjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2013, 02:14 PM   #26
andy02
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaForceB85 View Post
Get ready for the safety police and the tow trolls who do not believe you should tow anything unless you drive a vehicle so monstrous that it requires you to have a commercial drivers license.
Safety first!

Its so short ****s like me and you can still get in.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ACR View Post
My issue was I couldn't get the balls centered. I had to use some extra force to get everything lined up right. It didn't take me long.

September 11 2001
Never Forget!
andy02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2013, 10:55 PM   #27
chadsmeltzer
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I am always towing with my TJ which is on 35's. I know I have gone way over what its rated for but I also have a little experience towing, I'm not just some idiot flying down the highway with a trailer. I used to tow this dump trailer a couple times a week, empty it is right around 2,800 lbs. I've had over 3,000 in the trailer, it was slow going but worked surprisingly well. I would not recommend anybody try it, but its possible. It does have trailer brakes.
Then the snowmobile trailer with two quads I tow all the time, usually a few hours one way. No trailer brakes but loaded is only around 2,000 lbs. Those that say a fourwheeler is too much just need to balance them correctly, you need some tongue weight. Kinda funny in that picture the jeep died so I was switching out paddle tires for trail tires on the quad so we could ride them to camp.

Common sense goes a long way. You don't need a dually to tow 2,000 pounds, but the TJ is not meant to tow either. Go around the block and see if you are comfortable, leave plenty of stopping distance, and know you will not be winning any races.
imag0123.jpg  
jpeg-image-17026-.jpg

Unread 02-23-2013, 09:18 AM   #28
mzimerf
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Uhaul didnt say much except that the size trailer was limited to i think their 2nd shortest. I loaded it right tho too. Remember to balance the weight but it was no issue. I also had a 5 speed that helped. I recommend you.listen to the guys here who say try it around town first. Every load and jeep are different.
mzimerf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2013, 09:37 AM   #29
JDEEEWP
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I have 32" tires and haul a 3000 pound, 19' ski boat. (it has a 3.5L merc V6 in it)

The only trouble with fishtailing is when you have too much weight in the back of the trailer.

I have no trouble braking but i also put in ceramic brake pads. i believe the wangler is rated for 3K pounds, and 5k if you an LJ, right?

drive smart and your alright, also, a weight distribution hitch would go a long way in a vehicle with a short wheel base. (to add stability not capacity)

Oh i have been denied at uhaul, with the hardtop on too...
Unread 02-23-2013, 09:39 AM   #30
JDEEEWP
2001 TJ Wrangler 

oh and my poor clutch likes it when i use 4 low to pull it out of the water.

stock clutch and 150K miles, WEEE!

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.