Towing Light Problem on TJ - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Towing Light Problem on TJ

USA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGStainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 06-25-2012, 06:19 PM   #1
LeAnnieVee

Towing Light Problem on TJ

I have a 1999 Wrangler that I am trying to tow behind a motorhome. I am splicing into the wiring harness to pull it. The motorhome has a 4-wire system and I spliced the left and right blinkers correctly but when I turned on one blinker in the motorhome, all lights come on on the Jeep. I double checked and all the wires are correctly placed. Any idea why this is happening?

LeAnnieVee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2012, 06:40 PM   #2
wushaw
Rockin jeep

2000 TJ Wrangler 

You have to use blocking diodes.
http://www.roadmaster-tow-bars.com/universal-wiring-kit
wushaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2012, 07:20 PM   #3
LeAnnieVee

Thanks! I have only wired trailers and such, never other vehicles so I never had to use those. I'll give that a try.
Unread 06-25-2012, 09:45 PM   #4
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeAnnieVee View Post
Thanks! I have only wired trailers and such, never other vehicles so I never had to use those. I'll give that a try.
While you are quite welcome to hack up the stock wiring on your TJ, the chances of that later becoming a problem will always be an issue. I've repaired far too many and returned them back to stock to believe otherwise.

The best tow lights are a magnetic set that is adapted to your TJ with a 4 or 7 pin plug at the grill area and similar at the rear bumper with a harness run through the rig whose only function is to run the magnetic lights.
Unread 06-26-2012, 12:38 AM   #5
wushaw
Rockin jeep

2000 TJ Wrangler 

I ran the diodes for @ 9 years without any issues. The seperate bulbs from the OEM wires are a good option also...no worries with messing with the OEM stuff.
Unread 06-26-2012, 07:28 AM   #6
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wushaw View Post
I ran the diodes for @ 9 years without any issues. The seperate bulbs from the OEM wires are a good option also...no worries with messing with the OEM stuff.
I suspect you knew you needed them and why when you installed them? That very likely has something to do with how well they worked.
Unread 06-26-2012, 09:00 PM   #7
LeAnnieVee

Installed diodes and its working great!
Unread 06-26-2012, 09:10 PM   #8
wushaw
Rockin jeep

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
I suspect you knew you needed them and why when you installed them? That very likely has something to do with how well they worked.
Thanks MrBlaine

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeAnnieVee View Post
Installed diodes and its working great!
Good, glad ya got it worked out.

Tags
lights , tj , towing , wiring

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.