towing a camper with a TJ? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > towing a camper with a TJ?

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 08-28-2008, 08:47 AM   #1
NPerry05X

towing a camper with a TJ?

i got a 13' camper and it needs to be fixed up so im working on it.. but then i started to think about how much its gonna suck pulling it with the TJ... i figured with a sway control kit and maybe some leveling airbags in the rear springs it should be ok right? anyone have any experience with towing stuff with a TJ?

Green Jeep Member #171
3.07 Gears Club Member #10 :(
2005 TJ X 4.0, 6 speed, 6" rough country long arm with BDS coils, 1" body lift, SYE, 35x12.5 Pro Comp mud terrains, crager 15x10's
NPerry05X is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-28-2008, 09:00 AM   #2
jeepdavetj
1991 XJ Cherokee 

I use to tow a 16' camper with a lifted CJ-5 with no problem. Plan on towing a pop up with my 4 banger Tj. I wouldn't worry too much as long as you have some towing exp. and the camper isn't heavier than the jeep.

[B][I]Ash from Army of Darkness[/I][/B][QUOTE]Alright you Primitive Screwheads, listen up! You see this? This... is my boomstick! The twelve-gauge double-barreled Remington. S-Mart's top of the line. You can find this in the sporting goods department. That's right, this sweet baby was made in Grand Rapids, Michigan. Retails for about a hundred and nine, ninety five. It's got a walnut stock, cobalt blue steel, and a hair trigger. That's right. Shop smart. Shop S-Mart. You got that?[/QUOTE]
jeepdavetj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-28-2008, 09:38 AM   #3
FLATFENDER54
2001 TJ Wrangler 

how much does it weigh? If its over 2000 pounds its too heavy
FLATFENDER54 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-28-2008, 10:20 AM   #4
jpittman
2003 TJ Wrangler 

No problem as long as you don't max out the weight the Jeep can tow. I tow a Kamparoo popup at max of 1500 pounds, 12ft. long on my '03 TJ. No need for sway bars on the trailer. Since I go into the Sierra where there are alot of hills, I have brakes just for the piece of mind. Helps save the Jeep's brakes.

Last edited by jpittman; 08-28-2008 at 04:19 PM..
jpittman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-28-2008, 11:02 AM   #5
Igetit
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I own a pop-up, but my tow vehicle is an 07 Ford Explorer SportTrac, not my TJ. Here is an excellent forum on things pop-up related, and the link below goes straight to their "Towing and Tow Vehicles" forum.

("TV" is an often used abbreviation for "tow vehicle" on that forum, you'll see that alot.) But good info for determining your vehicles towing capacity, trailer weight, axle load, tongue weight, and all the stuff you need to consider to be safe, which is more than most people think about. I'm not a nervous Nelly, but before loading up the wife, kids, dogs, gear and trailer, I had it all weighed, did the math, and made sure I wasn't exceeding any limits. I like to maintain my equipment, plus, if something bad happens and you're over-weight, it's a "get out of jail free" card for the builder of your TV, and you could face legal charges if you hurt somebody else on the road.

With the short wheel-base of a TJ, I would be careful about approaching combined max gross weight of the tv and trailer, especially at Interstate highway speeds. People do stupid things in traffic, and your rig needs to be able to respond appropriately...sudden swerves, stops, all that.

http://popupexplorer.com/forum/forum.asp?FORUM_ID=38

...and I also just noticed there is a "Towing" section right here on JeepForum.com! Sorry for the oversight. Still recommend the site above for camper-specific info...

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f104/
Unread 08-28-2008, 12:16 PM   #6
JoeyOPA
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I just towed a 10' coleman sequioa pop-up with my 02 tj. It only weighs about 1800 lbs. but its about the max I would feel comfortable with.
Unread 08-28-2008, 05:36 PM   #7
NPerry05X

yeah i'd rather use a pop-up but i got this camper for FREE off my landlord hahaha i have no idea how much it weighs. im gonna bring it to the local scrap yard and see if i can use the scale to find out. i dont think its too heavy and it's well ballanced i can lift the tounge by hand (takes some effort its not something i'd carry around all day but you know what i mean) thanks for the input, i feel safer now knowing other people use a TJ to pull campers
Green Jeep Member #171
2005 TJ X 4.0, 6 speed, 6" rough country long arm with BDS coils, 1" body lift, SYE, 35x12.5 Pro Comp mud terrains, crager 15x10's
Unread 08-28-2008, 05:41 PM   #8
Patton
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I wouldn't tow anything with 33's and 3.07 gears! That dana35 could be a weak factor too.
Patton is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-28-2008, 06:06 PM   #9
1CleanTJ
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patton View Post
I wouldn't tow anything with 33's and 3.07 gears! That dana35 could be a weak factor too.
its weak compared to most axles but it will normally hold up fine unless a large shock load breaks it (ex= locked rear with tires spinning and both tires suddenly grab)
1CleanTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-28-2008, 06:10 PM   #10
Greg_Volkman
1998 TJ Wrangler 

i have towed m 1900lb pop up tent trailer all over the US to include the rockies and the sierras without issue, with 35's, 4.56 gears and a Super 35
Greg_Volkman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-28-2008, 07:01 PM   #11
Jeepguy1977
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPerry05X View Post
yeah i'd rather use a pop-up but i got this camper for FREE off my landlord hahaha i have no idea how much it weighs. im gonna bring it to the local scrap yard and see if i can use the scale to find out. i dont think its too heavy and it's well ballanced i can lift the tounge by hand (takes some effort its not something i'd carry around all day but you know what i mean) thanks for the input, i feel safer now knowing other people use a TJ to pull campers
Occasionally, you can use a weigh station when they're closed
Rolled Red Jeep Club Member #7
Jeepguy1977 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-28-2008, 08:03 PM   #12
exminnesotaboy
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I tow a <1000 lb camper just fine with 3.55/dana 35/32's. It gets a little annoying having to shift between 4th and 5th all the time on long trips. Just give yourself a lot more time to brake.

I picked up a set of the AirLift brand air bags that go inside the springs, but haven't installed them yet. When I have the back of my Jeep loaded with firewood and a cooler, they should really help out. And they are reasonably priced, too

Unread 08-28-2008, 09:03 PM   #13
nowickyj
2005 TJ Wrangler 

i tow a sea ray boat 3800lbs 400 miles one way to canada several times a year no problem. leave room for stoping you should have no problem. I run around 70 75 mph getting 13mpg too, all nys thruway its a fairly flat run but there are some areas that suck (hills) just take your time up them then the fun part comes the downhill!!
2005 Rubicon Jks discos 3.5 Rubicon Express superflex homebrew adj. uppers, Tom Woods driveshaft 1" BL , nitros, KC daylighters, XRC8, 35s KM2's, soft 8's custom bumpers, and all kinds of other stuff....
nowickyj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-28-2008, 09:22 PM   #14
NPerry05X

just so you can see what im talking about because i dont know much about campers so i dont even know where to begin to describe this thing lol i just know it's a "sun 'n fun"

Green Jeep Member #171
Unread 08-28-2008, 09:29 PM   #15
NPerry05X

my guess is, the axles should be ok untill i can afford some D44's i've been hunting down but down the road it should be ok and once i get to a camp ground im thining 4wheel will help from breaking an axle shaft in front of everyone trying to park the thing hahaha
Green Jeep Member #171

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.